Verizon looking into the signal strength issue, software coming

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Glad I'm not having any issues. I've never seen full bars, but I'm yet to drop a call or have a slow internet connection,

Same. I'm very pleased with it. I feel bad for those that are having issues. This phone is dripping in awesome sauce.

*customized tapatalk signature*

mattywalnuts

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Re: Verizon looking into the signal strength issue, software comi

I just got off the phone with VZW Tech Support. The Tech person said that the update would come out with the first maintenance release in mid January. Hopefully just in time before the Jan 15 return deadline kicks in.

I'm in Manhattan and am seeing 30 dbm less on my Nexus (~95) compared to my Droid 2 (~65).

Enjoy.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

I guess ive never had the luxury of being spoiled by motorola phones. Ive never had anything close to -65 dbm.. although I find the 75-95 that my nexus and fascinate have to be serviceable.

Ive never had any problems as far as signal.. and my data works well enough at home on both phones to not even need a wifi (and im on 3g only in my area).. but IMO one of the best parts of a phone is how well it gets signal.. so even though the galaxy nexus is the best phone ive ever owned and im completely happy with it.. I think we all owe motorola an apology.. people lashed out against the razr like the phone was an insult.. because it has a locked bootloader? well atleast it has an incredible radio.

PowerThroughLove

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

Locked Bootloader, no removable battery, pentile screen and terrible camera are why the RAZR got trashed.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

Locked Bootloader, no removable battery, pentile screen and terrible camera are why the RAZR got trashed.

the gnex has a pentile screen, like .000001% of smartphone users swap batteries, and the bootloader being locked or unlocked.. really doesnt mean anything.. their is no benefit to messing with the bootloader imo..

oh not to mention.. the gnex has a subpar camera.

the razr was trashed because most users are rabid fanboys and wanted nothing but the google phone.

and my point was that if the razr and motorola really have dominating radio technology.. it easily outweighs any feature on any phone.

I owned a razr.. I returned it a month ago for my own reasons.. and I am 100% happy with my gnex.. but doesnt change my disgusts for the sheepish idiotic attitude of most nerd elitists on here.

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site

Call quality on my Nexus has been outstanding. I've been running and Thunderbolt and an Incredible 2 in the past year and they are notoriously bad when it comes to reception (HTC in general from my experience). So maybe I'm just used to my phones showing less bars. No drops for me...so can't complain.

I definitely agree with Philly above...Moto's have the radios down. If I was in a fringe area, I'd definitely own a Moto.

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

On this very forum there is a person who is returning their Nexus due to signal issues and I read several pages of people attacking the OP.....Skip ahead 5 hours and we see this article. This seems to be a known problem and the OP was told that he/she did not do their research before purchasing the GN, people claimed he/she was what was wrong with the economy, etc.
Why is it that on this forum people can't notice and post legitimate problems with a phone, flagship Nexus device or not?

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

I just got off the phone with VZW Tech Support. The Tech person said that the update would come out with the first maintenance release in mid January. Hopefully just in time before the Jan 15 return deadline kicks in.

I'm in Manhattan and am seeing 30 dbm less on my Nexus (~95) compared to my Droid 2 (~65).

Enjoy.

Just FYI, when comparing the signal strength, you will need to compare it with other 4G phones. As far as I heard, despite the ongoing issue of the signal strength, GN does not seem to have it for 3G. 4G and 3G utilize the different signals.

Z Fury

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

To me it almost seems like the signal strength is underreporting. The call quality seems fine on few or no bars. I seem to have no problems with data as well.

I somewhat agree with this, in that I don't think signal strength is accurately reflected on the device. I just had a crystal clear call with zero bars, when I dropped 2 calls earlier with 2 bars. Very weird.

If they can iron this out before my exchange period is up, I'm definitely keeping this device.

Reactions: bhop42

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

On this very forum there is a person who is returning their Nexus due to signal issues and I read several pages of people attacking the OP.....Skip ahead 5 hours and we see this article. This seems to be a known problem and the OP was told that he/she did not do their research before purchasing the GN, people claimed he/she was what was wrong with the economy, etc.
Why is it that on this forum people can't notice and post legitimate problems with a phone, flagship Nexus device or not?

Because samsung is known to have poor radios in other phones hence the person needing to do research...

cyberdalek

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Because samsung is known to have poor radios in other phones hence the person needing to do research...

Based on this article, it is a software problem and has nothing to do with Samsung's radios.

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

Though I didn't see anyone actually "attacking" the OP myself (I think everyone was just saying 'good luck' to him), pointing finger on anyone who has a different opinion from mine about GN MUST STOP! Honestly, I believe that all of complaints I have seen on this forum so far, beside the signal strength and resulting battery draining, are not the real big issues. They look more like deriving from personal preference differences or from not understanding the nature of new technologies on this phone, or are easy things to fix with software update. Yet, big or small, everyone deserves the right to comment on what he/she likes or dislikes. As a buyer of a brand new phone, each of us may not like seeing these complaints. I know. I also feel the same way as you do. However, let's not mess up our joy with the our new christmas gift by pointing fingers on each other. There is really no need for that.

Reactions: jephanie

dbdynsty25

May 1, 2010
Visit site

Based on this article, it is a software problem and has nothing to do with Samsung's radios.

Maybe not, but past experience with HTC and Samsung have proven to have significantly worse radios than the competition from Motorola. Thus, the hypothesis would be correct in that the Nexus has a less radio than something like the Razr. Doesn't matter to me, still would rather have a Nexus, but one article means nothing when there are mountains upon mountains of information on past Samsung phones that proves their radios are not that great.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
To me it almost seems like the signal strength is underreporting. The call quality seems fine on few or no bars. I seem to have no problems with data as well.

That's how it's been with me. I haven't dropped any calls when the phone has had one or no bars. Verizon service has never been great at my home but, it's always worked. I'm wondering if I misjudged the bionic.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

My only signal issue was a reboot whilst navigating into LTE. That is it, signal and radio have been great. I dont live in the boonies though.

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

That's how it's been with me. I haven't dropped any calls when the phone has had one or no bars. Verizon service has never been great at my home but, it's always worked. I'm wondering if I misjudged the bionic.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

In fact, voice talk is not performed via 4G signals, while data is done by 4G (or 3G). As far as I heard, GN does not seem to have trouble with 3G signals. Maybe that's why.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site

In fact, voice talk is not performed via 4G signals, while data is done by 4G (or 3G). As far as I heard, GN does not seem to have trouble with 3G signals. Maybe that's why.

That's not my experience. I have 4G turned off and my DroidX at work is -84 to -87 dbm while for the Gnex it is well into the -90's to near -100. Same story at home. Have you done any measurements to support your conclusion?

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

That's not my experience. I have 4G turned off and my DroidX at work is -84 to -87 dbm while for the Gnex it is well into the -90's to near -100. Same story at home. Have you done any measurements to support your conclusion?

Nope. Not yet. As I stated, it is what I have heard from others so far. I personally didn't have a chance to test 3G signal of my GN because my 4G signal has not been bad. ;) I will try it tonight, though, and will report back.

mattywalnuts

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site

Just FYI, when comparing the signal strength, you will need to compare it with other 4G phones. As far as I heard, despite the ongoing issue of the signal strength, GN does not seem to have it for 3G. 4G and 3G utilize the different signals.

Thanks, I switched it to 3G only when comparing, but i get what you are saying. Either way, the call quality still sounds great.