Verizon looking into the signal strength issue, software coming

UserError

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Verizon looking into the signal strength issue, software comi

It's funny -- sitting here in the office, just on Friday -- I had the Galaxy Nexus and a co-worker had his Droid Razr. Phones sitting next to one another, and I have 2 bars 4G and he was on 3G. It seems the Nexus does get hung up a bit when it has to switch between 3G and 4G a lot.

I am happy with the phone. Hopefully Google and Verizon get this ironed out for those who are having issues. I know it would drive me absolutely insane!!

PowerThroughLove

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

the gnex has a pentile screen - Of A significantly higher Resolution and PPI
like .000001% of smartphone users swap batteries Yes, im willing to bet many more do in fact :|
and the bootloader being locked or unlocked.. really doesnt mean anything.. their is no benefit to messing with the bootloader imo.. - Your opinion. Glad that got cleared up right away.

oh not to mention.. the gnex has a subpar camera. - This is subjective, however I think most would agree its more vibrant and useable than the RAZR, and regardless this is something the Nexus is getting slammed for too.

sc4fpse

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

the gnex has a pentile screen, like .000001% of smartphone users swap batteries, and the bootloader being locked or unlocked.. really doesnt mean anything.. their is no benefit to messing with the bootloader imo..

oh not to mention.. the gnex has a subpar camera.

the razr was trashed because most users are rabid fanboys and wanted nothing but the google phone.

and my point was that if the razr and motorola really have dominating radio technology.. it easily outweighs any feature on any phone.

I owned a razr.. I returned it a month ago for my own reasons.. and I am 100% happy with my gnex.. but doesnt change my disgusts for the sheepish idiotic attitude of most nerd elitists on here.

Oh geez, where to even begin with this catastrophe of a post...

the gnex has a pentile screen,
... that's impossible to see with the naked eye. Moot point.

like .000001% of smartphone users swap batteries,
I tend to agree in practicality, but keep in mind, this is Motorola, who produced the original Droid. One of the biggest selling points (and advertising/bragging points from Motorola's end) was the removable battery. That's basically been a huge plus for Android over the years. The RAZR has a great form factor, but it prioritized form over functionality. That's something Apple does all too often, not something Android manufacturers should do.

and the bootloader being locked or unlocked.. really doesnt mean anything.. their is no benefit to messing with the bootloader imo..
Yes, in your opinion. But I'm willing to bet that for a majority of people in this forum, this (and the stock Android bit) is one of, if not the biggest selling point of the Galaxy Nexus. But hey, if you don't want to take advantage of that, that's cool.

You state that as if it's a fact. In terms of megapixels, sure. It may not be the highest MP camera available on a phone. But you won't take pictures as fast as you can on the Galaxy Nexus on any other device, not even the iPhone. And if you recall, just a few months ago Apple took a potshot at Motorola for their horrendously slow camera speeds. Pretty embarrassing, IMO.

the razr was trashed because most users are rabid fanboys and wanted nothing but the google phone.
The RAZR is a decent device, but it's no Nexus. And that's the problem. Locked bootloaders, a manufacturer UI, the removable battery, bloatware up the wazoo, Android 2.3 instead of 4.0, updates that don't come directly from Google... it's easy to see why people would feel pretty strong against the RAZR. Sure, it's a good device for some people. But I think you'll find that this community (and the online Android community in general) will lean more toward the Nexus for a variety of reasons, all legitimate and important.

and my point was that if the razr and motorola really have dominating radio technology.. it easily outweighs any feature on any phone.
It really depends on how "dominating" their technology really is. If it could get a radio signal when under 25 ft of dirt, then yeah, that might outweigh any feature. But unless the Galaxy Nexus just absolutely cannot get signal anywhere, then no, it doesn't outweigh any feature on the phone. There do seem to be problems with the Galaxy Nexus' radio (hopefully just the baseband), but to claim that the RAZR is a better phone overall because it has a stronger radio is ignorant.

mitra88

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

the gnex has a pentile screen, like .000001% of smartphone users swap batteries, and the bootloader being locked or unlocked.. really doesnt mean anything.. their is no benefit to messing with the bootloader imo..

I owned a razr.. I returned it a month ago for my own reasons.. and I am 100% happy with my gnex.. but doesnt change my disgusts for the sheepish idiotic attitude of most nerd elitists on here.

RAZR obviously is one of the very good 4G android phones. However, I chose GN over RAZR because of the followings;

(1) Locked bootloader: You cannot do very much on your software. Think of the RAZR as a PC. You are not authorized to become an administrator. You are not allowed to upgrade its operating system at your will. You cannot customize your computer without the manufacturer. And, the manufacturer put a lot of garbage softwares which you will never use and you cannot delete them. Does this sound good?

(2) I may fall into that .000001%, unfortunately(?). Though I live a life with chargers everywhere anytime at this moment, there is always a chance that you may stay outdoor for an extended time, with heavy usage of your phone. If you have the door for the extra battery, you may be ok. If not? I will leave it to your guess. As the other member just mentioned above me, having a door for the extra battery WAS ONE OF THE MAIN SELLING POINT OF THE DROID 1.

(3) Camera would have been nicer if it came with 8MP or higher. But, honestly, above 5MP really doesn't make much difference to me. If I really really need a good picture, I just use my digital camera. For daily use, however, my GN doesn't seem to make any big difference from those from my wife's Thunderbolt.

Meanwhile, I understand your irritated mood. I totally agree with your point that pointing fingers onto others for whatever reason MUST STOP!!! It can be done by everyone's slightest effort to tame their words onto the forum.

peternorth226

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

first day in the office with my gnex...turned on wifi and my phone has been getting grey bars every hour! i have to turn on airplane mode then turn it off to get back on. very frustrating!

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

and the bootloader being locked or unlocked.. really doesnt mean anything.. their is no benefit to messing with the bootloader imo..

WHAT?!? :eek:

You can't seriously mean that? The bootloader being unlocked is a huge deal for hacking/romming and ensuring that we don't brick our phones...as well as getting AOSP code and having access to the kernel or our choice.

Anyway, I'm glad Verizon is onto this issue. For me, it's not really a big deal because when I'm outside I get plenty of coverage so far, although the signal is sometimes weaker than it was with my Bionic. The only place it's really unusable is at my apartment, where I'm on wifi. At work I get an excellent signal most of the time. Hopefully it gets better. As long as I can keep a reliable connection with this phone anywhere I go, I will likely keep it forever.

Brandon

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/1...ss-galaxy-nexus-signal-strength-in-the-works/

"Reports started to flow in over the weekend that the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon was experiencing signal strength issues and possibly dropping calls like a mutha. Can?t say that I have noticed the dropped call issue myself, but it does seem tough to ever get a full 4 bars of LTE on this puppy. I?m also not having to toggle in and out of airplane mode as much as some have claimed, but then again, I have had to a couple of times and that?s unfortunate. Some have locked onto the idea that the 4.0.2 update somehow broke signal strength ? the jury is still out on that.

So what is Verizon doing about it? There official Twitter support account claimed this morning that an investigation has started and that a software update ?is being developed.? Wait, so that essentially says two things: that they aren?t sure yet and are looking into it or they already know the issue and are fixing it. Hmmm. Either way, the issue is on their radar and we could see something in no time, being a Nexus and all."

You see this is the issue I've brought up before, "VZW is looking into it". If the updates are coming direct from Google (which I have questioned repeatedly knowing the tight fisted control VZW has), then the intervention of VZW will slow this thing down markedly. In the end it will be no different than if the updates were coming direct from Verizon.

Reactions: BiNGE

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

I didn't notice any degredation in signal strength after the upgrade to 4.0.2. I'm on 3g though (no LTE signal where I live)

And that's another concern. When I bought the Nexus, I went to my car and looked at the 4G signal strength. I was initially parked outside the store waiting for them to open. I sat there with my Bionic and had 4 bars of 4G. When I came back to the car with my Nexus, I had 1 to 2 bars. This was BEFORE the update.

So some have suggested the 4.0.2 update broke the radio. From that brief test I did, it seems the signal was poor prior to the update and obviously after the update too. I don't see any impact from the update. We started poor and ended poor.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Interesting. I seem to have full bars all day everyday.

And in a very strong area that's what you'll get. You separate the men from the boys in marginal areas where the signal isn't so strong. It takes no great radio to get a full set of bars in a very strong area. But go into a weaker area and that's where the big difference shows up.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Call quality is great for me and I've never dropped a signal when I actually notice. The only thing I've noticed is that up until today, I would basically stay in 3G at my house most of the time.

Now I never got incredible speeds at my house anyway (5-7Mbps) so I would always use wifi anyway, but I would still hold 4G most of the time on my Thunderbolt. I had pretty much accepted the fact that I would stay in 3G on this phone when at home, however this morning before I left for work I turned wifi off like I always do before I leave the house and I had 4G.

So who knows. Again I don't have any issues whatsoever with call quality or keeping a signal, in fact I think I have better call signal than I did with the Thunderbolt in my house, it's just the data isn't always 4G like it used to be.

At least they aren't trying to be like Apple and deny there is a problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

My 4G is 0-2 bars with a full signal every now and then. So should it be easier for VZ/Google to issue a fix since this is a stock phone. This is where having a nexus shines right? Like Apple, the fixes should come quickly unlike HTC and Moto where it takes months? I hope. Or else im gonna have to call VZ.

If it isn't hardware. Nobody wants to consider the possibility of a hardware issue. That's my concern. If it's truly software, I agree, it will more than likely be fixed. If it's hardware, well I don't have to tell you, no fix short of a recall or revamping of the phone's hardware.

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

What's the fuss over how many MP this camera hs on the GN? Obviously you guys don't know very much about photography and the MP wars between manufacturers. Now they realized us photographers don't care about the MP but what we want is less noise at high ISO
Do you folks realize you can print a 20x24 photo with a 5 MP camera and it not pixelat these are phones for goodness sake, if you need a camera go buy one if you need to record video go buy the appropriate camera to do tis as well. The cameras are a convience not for the purpose of becoming a photographer or taking those breath taking shots.
Back in tthe day of the first digital cameras when they were only 2 MP folks were printing bill board size prints to actually use for bill boards so unless you're a professionally photographer the cameras in these phones are plenty good enough for the intended purpose.

Lets get our radios fixed and operable for the most part so we can enjoy connectivity to the internet and continuous 4g service in which that's what we are paying for.

James

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

as far as the droid 1's big advertising/selling point being a removable battery.. Um.. I dont remember this and I followed it pretty well.. maybe it was a bragging topic in forums and blogs.. I dont recall motorola actually advertising this as a feature..

as far as unlocked/locked bootloader.. I have a fascinate thats fully unlocked and rommed.. and while its fun to play around with stuff like that.. I dont consider it practical.. I mean how many roms do you see that dont have severe battery drains? or say they are anything more then an alpha or beta? its fun to play around with.. but its not something i would be doing to my brand new phone because honestly the benefits are practically nothing.. if you would like to make a list of the benefits ill let you know what I think. (the one you mentioned about PC's and bloatware is nice.. but the nexus doesnt have any bloatware so thats pointless.. and ive been building my own PC's for over 15 years so i cant relate to bloatware :) )

as far as the camera.. its not horrible.. and I do appreciate the quick shutter speed, especially considering how slow the fascinate was.. but I would probably value a larger MP and the ability to focus manually over the instant shutter/blurry pics. I went to a party this weekend and got a bunch of pics of my friends having fun.. and unfortunately theres alot of blur in the pics.. it would of taken me a few extra seconds to snap these pics with my old fascinate.. but they would of been clearer..

as far as pentile screen.. I didnt bring it up.. but you cant exactly knock the razr for having one when the Gnex has one aswell.. its kinda funny in the Razr's situation it was a huge downfall.. in the Gnex situation theres a bunch of excuses as to it not being a problem.. Frankly it was never a problem for me.. I have over 20/20 vision (tested recently by strict government physical standards) and you pixel whiners must be just looking for something to cry about.

the razr and nexus are both good phones,I much prefer my nexus.. but not because of a unlocked bootloader, or swappable batteries. Fact of the matter is I simply think the Razr was undersold because of the Nexus and the hype train.. and I think Verizon and the Razr got way to much undeserved hate simply because the Nexus (obviously) wasnt ready.. its barely ready right now for alot of the forum users who have a ton of complaints.

philly

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

What's the fuss over how many MP this camera hs on the GN? Obviously you guys don't know very much about photography and the MP wars between manufacturers. Now they realized us photographers don't care about the MP but what we want is less noise at high ISO
Do you folks realize you can print a 20x24 photo with a 5 MP camera and it not pixelat these are phones for goodness sake, if you need a camera go buy one if you need to record video go buy the appropriate camera to do tis as well. The cameras are a convience not for the purpose of becoming a photographer or taking those breath taking shots.
Back in tthe day of the first digital cameras when they were only 2 MP folks were printing bill board size prints to actually use for bill boards so unless you're a professionally photographer the cameras in these phones are plenty good enough for the intended purpose.

Lets get our radios fixed and operable for the most part so we can enjoy connectivity to the internet and continuous 4g service in which that's what we are paying for.

James

congratulations on being the 4.3 billionth person on the internet to bring up the MP arguement like only you understand how it works. We all know MP doesnt equate to great pictures.. but its part of the formula and it actually is important for people.

for example I like to zoom in on my pics and have them still be high res and not mush. Higher MP helps with that.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

Mine has issues and as I had mentioned before in another post when comparing the dBm signal of my Nexus to the rezound and the Razr side by side both those products had anywhere from 12-26 dBm signal strength better than my GN I've only seen my dBm get into the -90 only once the rest of the time it's sually -103 dBm - 118 dBm. So yes there is a major concern with this new flagship phone with signal strength as many has reported, I'm guessing most of us aren't sitting right next to a LTE boooster tower as some have reported not having any issues. Those of you that don't thats great but I bet if you left your area and went out to the outter edges of 4g then you will have same issues as the majority of us are seeing.

James

Precisely. I went into a VZW corporate store to pick up an extended battery. I did the old dbm test and found the Razr was getting a whopping 36dbm more than both the display Nexus and mine (mine and the display differed by only about 1dbm). The Nexus showed -112dbm while the Razr showed 76dbm!!!

All the other 4G phones varied from 78-84dbm. The difference is truly remarkable. In all honestly I'm very surprised the performance of the phone on 4G isn't a lot worse.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

You see this is the issue I've brought up before, "VZW is looking into it". If the updates are coming direct from Google (which I have questioned repeatedly knowing the tight fisted control VZW has), then the intervention of VZW will slow this thing down markedly. In the end it will be no different than if the updates were coming direct from Verizon.

I figured this would come up eventually.

This is not a necessarily accurate conclusion. If it's a network issue, how could Google possibly have the ability to develop/fix the code for VERIZON'S network? If this is a hardware/network-software issue, then it has to come from Verizon. That does NOT mean it's not a true Nexus with quick update turnaround. I mean, didn't having the 4.0.2 update on Day 1 of launch before the GSM versions already debunk this line of thinking?

Brandon

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

At least they aren't trying to be like Apple and deny there is a problem.

I don't disagree and like I said I don't have any issues with the phone overall, it's really just more of an annoyance than anything. And as I said, I actually had 4G this morning inside my house for the first time so that was actually a bit of a pleasant surprise.

I'm not expecting anything drastic (i.e. going from getting 5-7Mbps to the 20+Mbps downloads) because I live in a valley, but it would still be less annoying if I could stay on 4G so I don't have to worry about the handoff.

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I just spoke to Verizon and told them my 4g is flapping. They said they have received 27 calls on it and growing.

It appears that Verizon contacted Samsung and hope to have this resolved soon. The rep is supposed to call me tomorrow with an update.

DavinFelth

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site

as far as the droid 1's big advertising/selling point being a removable battery.. Um.. I dont remember this and I followed it pretty well.. maybe it was a bragging topic in forums and blogs.. I dont recall motorola actually advertising this as a feature..

It was mentioned in the advertising. Here's an ad from before the OG Droid launch.

Verizon Wireless Motorola Droid (iDon't) Commercial - YouTube

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards