Why is My Samsung Galaxy S4 all of the sudden draining so quickly

93tilEternity

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I don't even have KitKat on my phone, nor do I want it. My youtube is not there I can't get back in to my videos I guess updated by itself. I've done everything I was told to do to make the battery run faster & not drain & not have my phone burning in my hand right now. I downloaded the Wakelock app. I don't know how to copy the screen shot I took but it said 92% was my display so I put that way down & I've always had power saver mode on & the other one is a hot pink circle systems manager operator easier if I can show you I don't know how. All my stuff is in dropbox. My storage is almost completely empty. I force stopped, uninstalled, eeetc. See that I'm getting so many xtra letters itt takes 30 minutes to write. I have a brand new phone not even opened because I have had 7 refurbished phones in 7mos but i will not activate it until this one is right. Emails texts calls don't go or get to me. All tmobile says EVER is Factory reset. NO! Last time they did that said oops your calendar for 2013 was deleted can't get it back. Yesterday my calendar was again jacked up just stock now. So major issues. Using 2 batteries right now charging now don't know what to do. Battery goes down Then all the other stuff goes wrong. Any advice would be appreciated but I will not factory reset this one til all my info on computer now & what I need Samsung to help transfer over is complete. Not all apps transfer stuff gets lost kiis worthless lost simple notepad. My phone is used for business. Friends don't know my #. Only medical legal related contacts & some family. My calendar is my life & they ruined 600 entries I have to edit again. I'm not saying my phone is more important than yours but if I lose info I won't have it when I need it for my lawyers drs SS, etc. T Mobile has been nothing but stress for 2yrs in Sept. That's how I got a free phone after sending back 3 I already had none worked. I'm not allowed to go in the stores I have Severe panic attacks cuz stresss is too much. Contract ends 1mo don't know what to do anymore. AT&T, Sprint nope both worse than this. Verizon 10yrs but added charges I had to switch. Sorrry so long no sleep 3 days pain HATE CALLING T-MOBILE have to see yet another dr today and sold house so have to move but not allowed to lift bend carry 2 story to 1. too many times last night worst almost fell down stairs dizzy. I just need my phone to work.

budclack1986

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I had this same problem. After some time spent on my phone I found a game that when I downloaded it I gave it permission to start when phone is powered on and I also gave it permission to keep my phone from sleeping. I went to two of my college classes and my phone went from 100% down to 3%. Before my third class I uninstalled the app and charged phone to 16%. When I left the class it was still at 16%.

Ian Shere

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely 100% HATE this phone (I have the S4 Active) for so many reasons. If I wasn't stuck in a contract with a Telco as crappy as the phone (AT&T) I'd literally whack it with a hammer. Had it a year and it's been a problem pretty much since I bought it. AT&T say it Samsung's problem and don't want to help (only been customers with them for about 15 years - guess we just aren't loyal enough) and Samsung is useless too.

So.... I have just started experiencing battery drain recently. My wife's S4 always had a sucky battery life (Will check her settings today), but mine has been good till maybe a week ago (was there an update around 9/15/14?). Now it won't charge on the computer as it gobbles power faster than USB can feed it. Wall charging to 100% from dead used to take about 60-90 minutes. Now it takes 5-6 hours. It was at 100% last night when I went to bed about 8.30pm (didn't sleep the night before! :-[) and, at 6.30am when I got up, it was totally drained and had turned off.

Under Settings | More | Battery I checked what was using it. Google+ was one at about 36% and I noticed the phone had been wanting to connect to Google+ a lot recently - something I never turned on. Maybe it was always on or maybe an update did it. Gallery was one of the culprits of this. I found EVERY sync setting in it to Google+ turned on. Facebook the same.

However, the worst offender in usage was Android System, not Android OS, but System. What's the difference? Why should it use 68% v 2% for Android OS?

Roll on May and it's goodbye AT&T and goodbye to this useless doorstop phone!

jerfel

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I had a recent small update via ATT on my S4 and noticed the same decline in battery charge. A coworker on Verizon with an S4 has the same problem. I used to go all day without a problem, not the battery will go from 100% to 75% in an hour or two.

Taraneh Kohanim

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
my phone also drains too fast, and its brand new.
how did you discover that a game was at fault? how do i check if i have that problem?
my battery usage says "screen" is taking 38% - but my screen's brightness is so low... please advise. TIA

kevviemetal

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
I've got the same thing going on since KitKat was installed on my S4 a few months back. I've taken to carrying spare batteries with me and have gone through five in a day. Other times it's fine. I did install a battery monitoring app and there are two culprits -- Screenshot_2014-10-02-10-55-19.jpg Screenshot_2014-10-02-10-55-24.jpg

Thoughts? Ideas? Advice? After loyally using Samsung Galaxy phones for several years, I'm seriously considering moving to something else. This is ridiculous.

kristysnyder

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm also having the same issues with my battery draining. I installed GSam and my biggest culprits are Android System at 21.9%, Kernel (Android OS) at 16.9%, Android Core Apps at 6.8%... what are all of these processes and is there anything that can be done to lower their battery usage? It seems like the Android OS /System processes/whatever else is working too hard in the background. I have most of the high-tech features turned off, so I'm not sure why there are so many different system/OS things happening. I just don't know why this is draining the battery so much!

Adge23

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Bueller? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

I have yet to find a satisfactory solution for this problem that I have also been having, and since I only have one post in this forum, I can't post a link here; however, there is some helpful information if you Google search "Support S4 gets hot+drains battery in 4-5 hours staying AWAKE all the time" on the androidforums [dot] com Phandroid forum. No one has solved the problem for me yet, but maybe it will help some of you.

dinosf

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Well I've been combing the chats for months seeking solutions to the same problem. Mystery battery drain. Did a hard reset. Replaced the battery. Uninstalled numerous apps. Did all the power-saving tips. Nothing was working. Finally I found my problem...
NEW MICRO SD CARD!
Replaced my old one last night (transferred contents first), and today, it's like an entirely new phone!!!! I am so relieved, as this was just driving me crazy. I've been using the phone normally all day and after about 11 hours I'm still at 65% battery. Formerly unheard of. I'm sure this isn't the solution for everyone, but I'll confirm that it worked for me. Now I might see if reformatting the old Micro SD will revive it.

John Hennessy2

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Samsung 6000 mah external battery at $60 on android central shop will solve many battery drain problems --- will recharge S4 2.5 times --- can be recharged itself in 3.5 to 4 hours from zero ---

So will a genuine Samsung 2A charger and cord --- $15 at same shop --- will recharge phone in a little over 2 hours---

"ALL" smartphones in the last 4 years will rapidly drain batts unless you're only using them to make and receive calls, ---

If you're using them as pocket computers, game players, music players, map navigators, texters, and whatever else, you're going to rapidly drain the batt --- and wear it out prematurely --- and you WILL need one or more high power external batts --- or keep it plugged in almost constantly ---

It's either that or a phone that's monstrously thick to hold a gigantic battery ---

Posted via Android Central App

Adge23

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Well I've been combing the chats for months seeking solutions to the same problem. Mystery battery drain. Did a hard reset. Replaced the battery. Uninstalled numerous apps. Did all the power-saving tips. Nothing was working. Finally I found my problem...
NEW MICRO SD CARD!
Replaced my old one last night (transferred contents first), and today, it's like an entirely new phone!!!! I am so relieved, as this was just driving me crazy. I've been using the phone normally all day and after about 11 hours I'm still at 65% battery. Formerly unheard of. I'm sure this isn't the solution for everyone, but I'll confirm that it worked for me. Now I might see if reformatting the old Micro SD will revive it.

I tried reformatting my old card and then copying my files back onto it, and that didn't help my battery drain. I appreciate the suggestion. One thing I can't do, though, is go out and buy a new 128 GB microSD card to see if mine's corrupt or something. I mean, it worked fine for months after I got it, and then suddenly this battery drain and overheating problem started, so I really don't think it's my card.

Samsung 6000 mah external battery at $60 on android central shop will solve many battery drain problems --- will recharge S4 2.5 times --- can be recharged itself in 3.5 to 4 hours from zero ---

So will a genuine Samsung 2A charger and cord --- $15 at same shop --- will recharge phone in a little over 2 hours---

"ALL" smartphones in the last 4 years will rapidly drain batts unless you're only using them to make and receive calls, ---

If you're using them as pocket computers, game players, music players, map navigators, texters, and whatever else, you're going to rapidly drain the batt --- and wear it out prematurely --- and you WILL need one or more high power external batts --- or keep it plugged in almost constantly ---

It's either that or a phone that's monstrously thick to hold a gigantic battery ---

I have a 5200 mAh Anker brand extended battery that worked wonders for over a year. Then this problem started, so I thought it might be the battery. Got a replacement, but the problems with battery drain and (some) overheating don't really seem to be going away.

I'm at a loss here, really. I've tried so many different fixes, and none have worked. I don't use my phone like a mini-PC as you described. Pretty much never play a game or watch videos or anything like that. Mostly use my phone for email and occasionally for Facebook. Another weird problem that popped up recently, though, was immense amounts of network data being eaten up by apps in the background. For example, The Weather Channel and PayPal devoured about 300 MB each in the background in the span of 10 days, with maybe 10 MB of foreground data used. I've almost never go over 3 GB of data used each month, but last month I was at 3 GB after ten days, so I had to keep my Wi-Fi on for the rest of the month to avoid going over my quota. TWC app has a widget that I use, but I don't think that would be causing so much data to be gobbled up in the background. PayPal app I don't even use, so what business does it have using up 300 MB of network data in 10 days? I had to completely uninstall some sports apps that I used to use because those were chowing down on network data in the background, too. These are all apps that I've had installed for months and have never given me a problem before, mind you. I really think there's some background process in Android System (as opposed to Android OS) that is running constantly and causing all of these problems, but short of rooting my phone or doing a factory reset, I haven't heard anyone come up with a way for me to figure out exactly what the process is (or processes are) that have caused these problems.

I'd appreciate hearing any other theories as to why my apps would be using up so much background data and why my phone is staying awake all the time. I've even gone back and uninstalled any new apps that I downloaded or even updated just prior to when this battery drain/overheating problem started on my phone. Still no resolution.

My turned off apps, just in case anyone thinks those may be the culprit, appear in the attached photo.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Attachments

• TURNED OFF APPS - 2014-11-17 19.26.54.jpg
    TURNED OFF APPS - 2014-11-17 19.26.54.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 37

sjmondo2

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to thank everyone for their input. It was the SD card for me, too. I was ready to take a mallet to it, it was draining so fast. It happened all of a sudden just like everyone else. If you are having this problem, try out a new (or different) card. Thanks again !

wetermommy

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Mine goes from 100% to dead in less than 3 hours. and always hot (top half hot when off charger and whole back of phone hot when I Samsung charger).

Posted via the Android Central App

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Do a search on battery Life here on this forum and you should find lots of information about this problem. Usually it is apps running in the background that do not close just because you go to another app. Press and Hold the home key to see what is running!

Christopher Zannini

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
One of the biggest drains on the battery happens if you are in an area with poor reception. When signal strength is poor, the phone boosts up its signal power output way up. This will cause the battery to drain very quickly - as fast as 2-3 hours - and cause the phone to get warm. Put the phone in airplane mode and you will see the battery life goes back to normal