Will Best Buy/Samsung even do anything? Gap in panel, light from screen leaking

Marconis4

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site
A few days ago I noticed some dust in the bottom right side of my device (S8) when I was in bright sun. Upon further inspection, I noticed the bottom right part of the screen is raised slightly higher than the other corners. I learned to ignore it. Then, today, my eye was caught by light leaking from that corner...then I noticed it's happening along the entire edge of the phone, all the way around.

I've been doing some heavy Google searching and it seems like this is somewhat "common". I know I saw it in a YouTube review, as well. But what's bothering me is this was not like this when I bought the phone three weeks ago...it seems to have just happened. And now that I noticed it, it continues to distract me when on light screens and high brightness.

I bought the phone unlocked from BestBuy three weeks ago. I have zero luck when complaining about "imperfections" in my phones (I buy more than the average person, was once laughed out of a Verizon store for a very real issue). Is this truly a non-issue, or am I right in being annoyed by this? What are my options?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
A few days ago I noticed some dust in the bottom right side of my device (S8) when I was in bright sun. Upon further inspection, I noticed the bottom right part of the screen is raised slightly higher than the other corners. I learned to ignore it. Then, today, my eye was caught by light leaking from that corner...then I noticed it's happening along the entire edge of the phone, all the way around.

I've been doing some heavy Google searching and it seems like this is somewhat "common". I know I saw it in a YouTube review, as well. But what's bothering me is this was not like this when I bought the phone three weeks ago...it seems to have just happened. And now that I noticed it, it continues to distract me when on light screens and high brightness.

I bought the phone unlocked from BestBuy three weeks ago. I have zero luck when complaining about "imperfections" in my phones (I buy more than the average person, was once laughed out of a Verizon store for a very real issue). Is this truly a non-issue, or am I right in being annoyed by this? What are my options?

Thanks.

Sounds like you are past the 14 day return period

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
if it is common then why couldn't you find someone else's thread with this issue to bump? -_-

Either way it is a defect, it must be taken care of the way all other warranty work is done. Either sending the phone into samsung or there is a good chance a corporate store will have refurbished units on hand and will do a swap out on samsungs behalf.

Marconis4

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site
if it is common then why couldn't you find someone else's thread with this issue to bump? -_-

Either way it is a defect, it must be taken care of the way all other warranty work is done. Either sending the phone into samsung or there is a good chance a corporate store will have refurbished units on hand and will do a swap out on samsungs behalf.

Could have left out the first part. Thanks.