Wow. Pixel XL reviews are up. Looks good!! Anyone thinking of getting this

notnotmaurice

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I"m so torn, they look good, especially the camera, but they're crazy expensive ($1029 for the 128gb small ones in canada) and they have the headphone jacks in the wrong place. I don't want to spend that much on a device i know will frustrate me, but what other options are there on the market??

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Can you explain this to me? Didn't Google control the Nexus line 100%?
I'm still not understanding the Pixel. Was is just so they could charge more for the same thing they were giving Nexus owners for less?

Well Android fans have always wanted the legit respect iPhone users get. They finally get that with the Pixel.

Every review has mentioned how Google controls everything with this phone and how great that is.

Sound familiar?

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
But what is the reason for the large chin? There doesn't seem to be a technical explanation why it's there. Most have stated that they just took an old HTC design and moved the FP scanner to the back and removed the front firing speakers. Smart money would wait for the Pixel XLs that adds them both back to where they should be. :)

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm still not understanding the Pixel. Was is just so they could charge more for the same thing they were giving Nexus owners for less?

Right. Also Google will now have their own features exclusive just to them, not shared with Samsung, LG ect. You'll need to invest in their ecosystem to enjoy these features, similar to Apple.

Not a bad thing really, if you're on board with them. But for that they get to charge premium prices now.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Right. Also Google will now have their own features exclusive just to them, not shared with Samsung, LG ect. You'll need to invest in their ecosystem to enjoy these features, similar to Apple.

Not a bad thing really, if you're on board with them. But for that they get to charge premium prices now.

The problem I see with that philosophy, is that Google is trying to do what Apple does, without the features. All they're doing is including about 70% of what all the other manufacturers already have, and banking on people paying for 70% of a Galaxy S7 but with Allo baked in.

I know technically i'm over simplifying, but my own personal tastes, Google has to offer a heck of a lot more for those prices.....

budven

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
As I see it Google is a leading company in the tech world but didn't not bring a device that is leading in breakthrough technology.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
As I see it Google is a leading company in the tech world but didn't not bring a device that is leading in breakthrough technology.

Along with amoled it has- also an sd slot, 5.7" display (Pixel got bezel), removable battery, IR blaster- THAT would be leading. Hey! I just described the Note 4! :)

BACK to the future!

badMojo69

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
Oh...I get it. Pixel exclusive features. Now that makes sense. Thanks

Kuttermax

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
Well my pre-ordered Pixel Xl from Verizon just got an update on its shipping date... Instead of Oct 20th, it's now Nov 18th...

I've got a bunch of travel before then so am a bit stuck. I have an international unlocked S4 Mini. I wonder if that can be activated on Verizon?

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
You know the Pixel does look like they took design cues from apple... but failed. I'm a current iPhone user and find the Samsung phones more visually appealing than the Pixel. The split back and implementation of button on the back just doesn't... jive well.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

They're also controlling the hardware now. While, from my understanding, the nexus was always manufactured by a separate company. Huawei, LG etc

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You know the Pixel does look like they took design cues from apple... but failed. I'm a current iPhone user and find the Samsung phones more visually appealing than the Pixel. The split back and implementation of button on the back just doesn't... jive well.

See the current HTC 10. The Pixel looks like a variation of that(to me) & since HTC is the mfg...
The split glass back, whether for appearance or for antenna enhancement is not clear via the reviews that I watched yesterday.

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I went to several phone stores today and got to play with a Pixel XL and LG V20 for the first time and got to compare head to head with my Note 7.

I opened Chrome on both phones and looked up the same HD wallpaper to compare the same image on the screens to see how the colors and clarity compared, and then I took the same pix with the camera and compared.

From my limited test, here's what I saw :

Pixel XL - closest screen and camera quality to my Note 7. Snappy phone. Took good pix every time and was comparable if not better. I also liked how you can quick launch the camera with a double click of the side power button (like we can do with the N7 home button)

LG V20 - I really want to like this phone as it has a lot I'm looking for. But the screen is not nearly as colorful or sharp as the N7 and the camera I couldn't get as good shots as my N7. I zoomed in on the pix I took and the N7 was consistently sharper. In fact one low light shot kept being blurry on the V20 - reminded me of shots on my old Note 4 I'm so so lighting - hit or miss. I even tried the manual mode and focus tweaking (or whatever it's called with the green outlines) and still didn't get better pic with the LG. Couldn't find the app drawer on the phone either which was weird.

If the Pixel didn't look so much like an iPhone with huge bezels, and had SD card support, it would be my top choice, but I'm still torn.

I'll wait to see more reviews on both, battery tests, etc as both are about to be out in a lot of hands in the next week.

Also worth noting - Verizon has no annual upgrade on either phone, so we're stuck for 2 years or 100% payoff (instead of 50% payoff with the N7), so this is a big, long time decision...