Android to iOS: The itch to switch

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Yeah, I hear ya, I use 4 folders I keep at the top of the screen(of course, where else) 3 I use and the 4th is mostly junk. I don’t name them for a cleaner look but Apple makes me put a dot under them anyway at a minimum lol. I only use one screen this way as I dislike multiple screens. In the dock are my 4 most used apps.
Check out this link. It can enable you to be able to put icons anywhere on the screen by utilizing blanks. Kinda cool and once you get the hang of it it goes quickly. For best results pick a wallpaper and stick with it.
M A K E O V R
That's cool. I forgot about the blanks. I listen to a podcast called Hello Internet and one of the hosts figured this trick out. Oh, he also figured out how to make the app labels 100% blank. It's a certain ASCII. I'll look it up and send it.

Oddly enough, he was the one who got me started on customizing my phone (had a S7 Galaxy at the time) and he pointed out how dumb it is that you have to have your apps icons labeled. As he pointed out rhetorically, "Isn't that the point of an icon? To *be* the label?!" After that I could no longer look at my phone the same. Samsung didn't let me take the label off. So, I discovered the amazing world of 3rd party Launchers and my love affair w beautiful clean screens began.

That said, Apple is doing amazing things w automization whereas Google is... Well... Not. I'm frustrated with their lack vision and very impressed with Shortcuts on the new iOS.

Ah, that reminds me, power users of iPhones are starting only populate their homescreen with shortcut buttons (which should have made me ask what they did w their reg icons, probably the folder trick) creating a task oriented UI rather than an app oriented one. That is something you just cannot do very well on an Android (and that you could not do on an iPhone 2 years ago). Do you know about this?

Hmmm.... Well, I will have to remember this in a couple years when I'm up for a new phone. It does seem more and more that, as I benefit greatly from automization which Apple is superior at,I might find myself going that way.

Would love to hear any of your thoughts re shortcuts etc if you have any (most iPhone users don't even know this exists beyond Hey Siri.)

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Yeah, I hear ya, I use 4 folders I keep at the top of the screen(of course, where else) 3 I use and the 4th is mostly junk. I don’t name them for a cleaner look but Apple makes me put a dot under them anyway at a minimum lol. I only use one screen this way as I dislike multiple screens. In the dock are my 4 most used apps.
Check out this link. It can enable you to be able to put icons anywhere on the screen by utilizing blanks. Kinda cool and once you get the hang of it it goes quickly. For best results pick a wallpaper and stick with it.
M A K E O V R
Another quick question I keep meaning to ask iPhone users: Can one put all of their icons on a 2nd screen leaving the homescreen blank? Or does that screen just delete itself when empty?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Another quick question I keep meaning to ask iPhone users: Can one put all of their icons on a 2nd screen leaving the homescreen blank? Or does that screen just delete itself when empty?

Never tried that but I would think so except for the dock.
I’m more android than iOS. I generally go back to iPhone when I feel like taking it easy, then when I get bored I come back to my pixel and my file of various launchers.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

You have to have 1 icon or it deletes itself.
If this is the worst thing about an OS it’s probably pretty dam*d good.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I read about a method of making icon titles disappear but whenever you rebooted they came back,
I agree having an icon makes little sense to also have said icon titled. That’s the reason I keep all my stuff in folders

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
I read about a method of making icon titles disappear but whenever you rebooted they came back,
I agree having an icon makes little sense to also have said icon titled. That’s the reason I keep all my stuff in folders
I know for this host guy it worked. It seems this is how he does it:

Just copy this and delete the quotes: “⠀”

Let me know if you try it.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
You have to have 1 icon or it deletes itself.
If this is the worst thing about an OS it’s probably pretty dam*d good.
I mean, this takes care of it looking ugly, but it is nice to customize your phone. I can totally respect how others don't care much about that, but I would miss the ability not only to make my phone look un-ugly, but to actually make it look nice and to serve many practical functions. And two years ago, I would have said that iOS offers nothing much in return. But as I said, New Shortcuts is a game changer to me so... Yeah, might be a worthy trade-off.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I mean, this takes care of it looking ugly, but it is nice to customize your phone. I can totally respect how others don't care much about that, but I would miss the ability not only to make my phone look un-ugly, but to actually make it look nice and to serve many practical functions. And two years ago, I would have said that iOS offers nothing much in return. But as I said, New Shortcuts is a game changer to me so... Yeah, might be a worthy trade-off.

I guess it depends on your definition of ugly. I have the calendar app as my only icon at the top of the screen showing the date. I can see my entire wallpaper. Clean and simple.

The next page has all my apps in folders. Again, very clean.

Perhaps boring but clean.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
I guess it depends on your definition of ugly. I have the calendar app as my only icon at the top of the screen showing the date. I can see my entire wallpaper. Clean and simple.

The next page has all my apps in folders. Again, very clean.

Perhaps boring but clean.
You are right, it is totally subjective. Actually, your sounds nice. Simple. What I called ugly is what Apple prefers your screen look like. My day homescreen. (Not sure why it's all pixelated... No pun intended, lol)

Regardless, it doesntatter if I would like yours or not. Seriously, I enjoy seeing homescreens that ppl share because *THEY* like them. Like, most homescreens I see shared are not what I would do but I honestly thorughly enjoy seeing them and hearing about the thoughts the user had. It's actually kind of weird. Lol
546f0b189c6b5ec70a16f6acea54b2f3.jpg

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
You are right, it is totally subjective. Actually, your sounds nice. Simple. What I called ugly is what Apple prefers your screen look like. My day homescreen. (Not sure why it's all pixelated... No pun intended, lol)

Regardless, it doesntatter if I would like yours or not. Seriously, I enjoy seeing homescreens that ppl share because *THEY* like them. Like, most homescreens I see shared are not what I would do but I honestly thorughly enjoy seeing them and hearing about the thoughts the user had. It's actually kind of weird. Lol

This reminded me of another thing that always annoyed me with my iPhone 5s. I could never see my background because it was covered with way too many apps.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

Not weird.
Many people consider their smartphones as a part of their wardrobe, like clothing or jewelry. I see them with glitter cases, those things on the back to hold onto them (sorry, forgot the name), homescreen pictures of their kids, etc. They make them unique. That’s where Android is more customizable. I’ve just come to the point where I want simple and functional. Glad there’s choice for both!

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
This reminded me of another thing that always annoyed me with my iPhone 5s. I could never see my background because it was covered with way too many apps.

You only need 1 to keep that home screen. I believe there’s a way to make a blank icon to fake it into thinking there’s something there also. Not as customizable as Android though.

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Speaking as someone who made the switch (currently using an iPhone 11), I say just do it if you can afford it.

I had been using iPhone consistently since the iPhone 6 Plus was released (I used several android phones before that). I’ve intermittently switched back to android phones over the years and I ALWAYS end up back on the iPhone.

For me, the overall quality of the iPhone, apps (especially iMessage), and support (there is an Apple store 10 minutes away from me) is unmatched by any Android phone manufacturer. I have a Note 10 Plus I was using for a few weeks, but I just couldn’t stick with it. (I use it as a mini-tablet now.) Yeah and I can customize it and make it look pretty, but using it is a different story. I’m more efficient on an iPhone. Believe it or not...

Plus, the Apple Watch is just awesome!

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Speaking as someone who made the switch (currently using an iPhone 11), I say just do it if you can afford it.

I had been using iPhone consistently since the iPhone 6 Plus was released (I used several android phones before that). I’ve intermittently switched back to android phones over the years and I ALWAYS end up back on the iPhone.

For me, the overall quality of the iPhone, apps (especially iMessage), and support (there is an Apple store 10 minutes away from me) is unmatched by any Android phone manufacturer. I have a Note 10 Plus I was using for a few weeks, but I just couldn’t stick with it. (I use it as a mini-tablet now.) Yeah and I can customize it and make it look pretty, but using it is a different story. I’m more efficient on an iPhone. Believe it or not...

Plus, the Apple Watch is just awesome!
No, let's not get carried away on the I can customize it part. I mean... Not really. Make it look well that is obviously in the eye of the beholder and I will argue with you on what's pretty. But customize it?... No. No you cannot. Lol not if that word is meant to be useful.

But I won't argue with you on anything else. And the customer service is amazing. I took my wife's iPhone into the Apple store. We did not have insurance on it. They not only fix the known problem that was happening for free but also replace the battery and the screen. All for free. And it wasn't simply that it was all for free that impressed me but the fact that you could take it to a place and talk to a human being about this object that they actually know about. Whereas the only place I can go with my phone is Verizon where they kind of know about it but in the end if something is wrong with my phone I'm just dealing with Samsung or Pixel or whoever that's in some place in the world I don't know or care about... I mean, there was a problem with my pixel that eventually just fixed itself oddly enough. But I never had intentions of bringing it in anywhere because I didn't feel like dealing with someone over the phone and then telling me that some magic date passed or whatever And then having to do without a phone for a while? It's not a fun situation. Apple support is simply unmatched. I know there are those horror stories that people make videos about but that's always going to happen no matter what but in general you just cannot beat Apple support. Impossible.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
I guess I just want to clarify that for Android users, customization isn't only about making the screen pretty. It's about making it useful. For one, obviously there are widgets right there if you want. But a huge thing for me are Nova gestures. On my screen for example, I can get,
Phone
Text,
Text only my wife
Waze
Podcasts
YouTube
Settings
Shopping list

Simply based on how I touch my screen.
And that doesn't include the apps o can get to simply by swiping up on my text app which is actually a folder nor does it include the options you get when long pressing apps which are both features Apple readily has.

My point is not: therefore Apple is better. My point is simply that customization for many is more than just making it look nice (without having to do ingenious hack solutions).

Anyway. Not a big deal. It's not for everyone. But I really enjoy barely touching my phone without even thinking or looking at it and getting what I want.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I am just beginning to dive into it but Shortcuts on iPhone/iPad is very interesting. One Siri to touch of a widget request can do multiple tasks.
For instance “hey Siri, going to work” can bring up the weather forecast, then tell you approximate driving time based on traffic, give you the latest breaking news and then turn on your favorite music for the drive.
Perhaps someone else knows more about it but it seems interesting.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
Back in 2012, I briefly had an iPhone 4 and was just getting into streaming music. While the iOS experience was basic, I didn't know what I was missing on Android phones in terms of freedom and customization. My next devices were an HTC one x, Moto X, S6 active, S7 edge, S8, LG G6, and currently the Pixel 3.

I enjoyed the ability to connect my Android phone as an external drive, customize screens, and add widgets. I transferred files to SD cards and traveled with my media library. I felt that Google apps and services ran best on Android phones. However, I'm feeling much different now.

Customization isn't important anymore. Google apps run fine on iPhones, I stream and utilize cloud storage every day. My Pixel 3 camera kicks butt, but....the iPhone 11 pro is close.

Is anyone else considering the switch? I feel the gap between iOS and Android has closed. One of the major factors for me is the quality of hardware and the apple watch.
One thing I wanted to mention. I have heard some suggest that it might be best to wait a year for the 12. That this 11 is a very solid yet unexciting generation but the 12 will have a lot of the new things. Many think that the annoying lightning charger will be totally replaced w USBC by then, too.

And if it is price of the 12 is prohibitive or the newer features just aren't worth possibly dealing w a buggier phone, the 11 (which again, is really just a more solid version of the 10R, so that's a good thing... A phone that has been further perfected... Just not exciting) will still be available, perhaps even cheaper. Just a thought.

jaybotinc

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
I am just beginning to dive into it but Shortcuts on iPhone/iPad is very interesting. One Siri to touch of a widget request can do multiple tasks.
For instance “hey Siri, going to work” can bring up the weather forecast, then tell you approximate driving time based on traffic, give you the latest breaking news and then turn on your favorite music for the drive.
Perhaps someone else knows more about it but it seems interesting.
Google can do that. But... Shortcuts can do faaaaar more. Not nearly as tied to voice as Google kind of is.

Check out the very needy Automators podcast. Good stuff!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa