HDTV HDMI 'dongle' - mini-computer OS update?

WillieDkiD

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I have two one-year old CTL HDMI 'dongles' running Android 4.0.3 which I have connected to two of our HDTVs ("non-smart" HDTVs), and I'd like to update the OS, if it is at all possible. I have more info on the Android version, kernel, build number, (etc.) if this is of any help, but can anyone tell me if it IS possible to update ("flash") this Android OS to a 'more current version? Apparently, it appears that CTL no longer supports these older single-core 1 GHz units since they've replaced these models with a 'quad-core' model... (which I suppose may or may not be capable of updating the Android OS either..), but since I have virtually nothing invested in these cute little beasties (approx. $10/ea), I'd like to see if a more current Android might work with these... Maybe THEN I could successfully download and install Amazon Prime Video streaming for this unit. As it is, Netflix, Hulu, Pandora... all the other apps I appreciate are already there, but not Amazon... and so far (even tho I've installed the Amazon Prime app, it really doesn't appear to function, and just keeps dropping me at an Amazon app download - which is already insatlled...). Since we're "cutting the cable" shortly, it'd be really nice if I could get these as 'updated' with our preferred streaming apps, like I've just updated the blu-ray in the TV room... Anyone have any input?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I won't say it's impossible, but I will say it's very very unlikely. In order to update to a higher Android version, you'd have to root the device and then install a custom ROM based on that higher Android version, which also has to be designed specifically for the device. Off-brand or no-name devices are unlikely to have a big enough user community for there to be someone industrious enough to develop a ROM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress