Why do my Lollipop notifications keep changing from All to Priority?

rbingley

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
This issue has been driving me crazy since Lollipop came out. 5.0.1 came out, and no change. I cleared my cache, and no change. I've been holding off on doing a factory reset because I didn't want to go through the hassle of re-setting up my phone.

Anyway, today I happened to be looking at my phone when the WiFi kicked out. As it switched to cell data, Priority mode turned on! Long story short, after some experimentation, it turned out that Onavo Extend was causing my phone to switch into Priority mode almost every time I lost WiFi signal. When I googled the issue, it appears others have reported this problem with Onavo Extend prior to the production release of Lollipop.

I've tried deleting/re-installing Onavo Extend, but whenever I lose WiFi, 90% of the time, it would put the phone into Priority mode. Since, I've disabled Onavo Extend, I've not had this issue. Strangely, after reviewing the app permissions, I found it does have "control vibration", but am not sure what they use it for.

Just thought I would post this in the hopes that it will save someone else from having to do a factory reset to resolve this most annoying issue.

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
This morning I did a factory reset. Didn't help. Twice already, it's switched from "All" to "Priority." The more I use Lollipop, the more I long for KitKat. Wish I could get a KK image for the 6. You would think on a $750 flagship phone, and after years of Android, the engineers at Google would get it right. Oh well....

MrSixpence

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
Me too... I have been bothered by this issue since I first opened my Motorola Moto X (2014 gen).

I would find it interesting if I have to do a factory reset on a brand new phone! However, it is very likely that the phone was originally shipped with KitKat and upgraded to Lollipop in the factory... so maybe we have something in common there.
Another thing in common: I notice the last two speakers have a Nexux 6. Well, from my understanding, the Moto X (2014 gen) is a smaller version (5" instead of 6") but otherwise exactly the same specs and manufacturer as the Nexus 6.

I did "accidentally" set a Priority Time: Sundays, and nights between 22 pm and 6:30 am.
I hate the Star in the window! (And I have another app to deal with "periods of silence"). So I removed the settings again.
However, the handling never stopped. The phone behaves like the settings were still as described (i.e. the phone haven't figured out that I have removed the settings).

Last thing to mention: I tried Lollipop Stock just to see if old habits should be exchanged. "Priority notifications" is not better than my old solution, so I went back to that: Llama (location aware app). It is much better (i.e. more flexible) for handling things like "don't disturb" - because Google seems to think my Goggle-calendar is my business calendar! It is not, however, so I need the phone to go into "Silent" mode on it's own when I am at the office or attend a meeting - regardless of my private calendar!
Now I have Llama as the prime suspect for triggering the problem with "Priority Mode": Maybe every time it turn on the Silent Mode, it pushes the Priority Mode as well... but the Priority Mode is always left on "eternity" - so in reality it never turns off again (like it would at 6:30 am on Monday morning, given my original setting).
However, I read the list of apps Mr Eks is using - and no Llama. So my thinking is: This is not a problem with a third-party app - this is a problem with Lollipop handling third-party app interventions!...

Sandra Watt

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Now I have Llama as the prime suspect for triggering the problem with "Priority Mode": Maybe every time it turn on the Silent Mode, it pushes the Priority Mode as well... but the Priority Mode is always left on "eternity" - so in reality it never turns off again

MrSixpence, I also have Llama, and love it. I don't want Priority mode entering the picture, when Llama does so much more. You may be on to something because my star is on every morning. I'm not sure what to try, but will certainly work in that direction, and post back of I do find a solution.

Nehasupnfan

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem on my Moto Turbo (which is the Moto Droid). I finally realized that whenever truecaller blocked an incoming call(from the various telemarketers present here in India), the interruption setting would change from 'All' to 'Priority'. The moment I uninstalled the app the problem went away.

I hope this helps someone else.

Amruthavarshini

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,
I have Moto G2 and I have been facing the same problem since I upgraded from KitKat to lollipop.
As per my observation,the root cause of this problem is when a notification is received for the blocked number on any call blocker apps - notification mode automatically gets changed from 'All' to 'Priority'.
Waiting for this bug fix in next version so that I can stop checking for 'Priority' mode on from losing important incoming calls :)

HUIhm

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi folks:
I had the same problem with my Moto G (2013) and couldn't find for a long time the app causing the problem. Thus, I decided to keep calm and to wait for Android 5.1. But last weekend after installing 5.1 I got fully disappointed as the problem came back after reinstalling all my apps. Google obviously didn't fix it! This time I checked systematically all my apps and found the "evildoer" - an app called "Profile Manager", published by JLasTek.
Obviously two kinds of apps can cause the "Notifications 'All' -> 'Priority' problem": profile managers like Llama or Profile Manager and call blockers. As Google didn't fix the problem the only way to keep notifications at "All" state seems to be not to use such apps. Or did someone of you find a better workaround? I use now a profile manager not influencing on the notifications state...
Best regards, HUIhm

JakeEdwards

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
This issue has been driving me crazy since Lollipop came out. 5.0.1 came out, and no change. I cleared my cache, and no change. I've been holding off on doing a factory reset because I didn't want to go through the hassle of re-setting up my phone.

Anyway, today I happened to be looking at my phone when the WiFi kicked out. As it switched to cell data, Priority mode turned on! Long story short, after some experimentation, it turned out that Onavo Extend was causing my phone to switch into Priority mode almost every time I lost WiFi signal. When I googled the issue, it appears others have reported this problem with Onavo Extend prior to the production release of Lollipop.

I've tried deleting/re-installing Onavo Extend, but whenever I lose WiFi, 90% of the time, it would put the phone into Priority mode. Since, I've disabled Onavo Extend, I've not had this issue. Strangely, after reviewing the app permissions, I found it does have "control vibration", but am not sure what they use it for.

Just thought I would post this in the hopes that it will save someone else from having to do a factory reset to resolve this most annoying issue.

After reading this I realised that I hadn't experienced this issue for the past few months and had recently switched Onavo back on. Deleted it and now the phone is fine. Thanks

free23

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lollipop notifications keep changing from All to Priority

I realise this is really old but I had this problem and realised I had an app installed that sets my phone to silent (priority now with lollipop). Stupid, I know but that is what was causing it to keep switching back. It was an app from when I had kitkat and I hadn't fully understood what priority was.

vegameister

Dec 10, 2016
Visit site
The same thing has been happening to me. I thought about posting the issue but I thought it might have been something I was doing. There is no rhyme nor reason. The phone (Nexus 6/5.0.1) just switches the "Interruptions" setting from All to Priority. I have tried figuring out what app, keystroke, fat fingering or other combination of things are causing this and I can't figure it out. I know I can do a complete reset but that is such a HUGE PITA! I hope Google figures this one out and includes the fix in their next round of updates.

Glad to know I'm not the only one having the issue.

i have been having the same problem with my note 3 for about 2 months now that every single time I pick it up just like she says the star is at the top it's driving me crazy. But I have also noticed that for no reason whil, a lot of people that I know I'm on my phone with lots of battery left it just turns itself off as if the batteries dead and when I turn it back on it says battery zero percent and as soon as I plug it into the charger it'll say some random number like 27% or 80% and never matters it's just that it will die than a restart and I'll come back with a fuller battery than what it would have taken for a to die I noticed those two things at the same time.
a lot of people I know doesn't matter Android or Apple are having the same problem right now. it seems intentional to me somebody does not want us to hear our notifications because maybe then we would notice they are. doing something on our phone. I can't even find any place on this phone that will tell me what is changing the setting.

web1b

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
What's the solution to this issue?
Is there an Android update available for the Nexus 6 that will correct this problem?
Can Priority mode be disabled?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38