What are your top MUSIC apps for Android Auto?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
I'll go first. In order.

1. Google Play Music
2. Pandora
3. Spotify

I put three, because I just don't feel right putting GPM down for all of them. But really Google Play Music is all I use.

What about you folks?

dewd_1969

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
1. DSub

I only use DSub since I do not wish to stream crappy sounding music to my higher end car stereo. DSub pulls down my FLAC files on demand (no conversion from my Subsonic server at home).

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Spotify. But that can be a bit tricky since I sometimes need to "preload" it before plugging in due to the list length limitation.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
CloudPlayer (excellent local music player with an FM radio function built in)
Google Play Music (at least until my subscription is up in a few months)

tonestert

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
1. DSub

I only use DSub since I do not wish to stream crappy sounding music to my higher end car stereo. DSub pulls down my FLAC files on demand (no conversion from my Subsonic server at home).

Yes I totally agree ! I just got Android Auto on my 2016 Tucson and was surprised to see Dsub show up. I love how DSub downloads my music to my phone so when I don't have service I can still play my music. You can't do that with the streaming apps. It also has more features than Google Play using Android Auto.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Google play music works fantastically, but the usb audio quality through both S6 and G4 very underwhelming...so I rather just popped my sd card with all music to use my car audio DAC instead.

Posted via the Android Central App

Pedrore

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Yes I totally agree ! I just got Android Auto on my 2016 Tucson and was surprised to see Dsub show up. I love how DSub downloads my music to my phone so when I don't have service I can still play my music. You can't do that with the streaming apps. It also has more features than Google Play using Android Auto.

Google play music will let you download music and play from your phone also

dewd_1969

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Google play music will let you download music and play from your phone also

This is true but if you use the Google service all you get are MP3s. And they are not the best quality (if there is such a thing with MP3s). With DSUB I get FLAC downloaded to my phone. Bonus, AFAIK, it is using my Pioneer's DAC. It appears to be playing as if it was attached storage. I need to experiment a bit more to be certain...

JLiRD808

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Are you guys using the paid Google Play Music version? Am find the free version pretty stale and useless.

What are your favorite parts of the paid version?

THX!

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Are you guys using the paid Google Play Music version? Am find the free version pretty stale and useless.

What are your favorite parts of the paid version?

THX!

I'm using the paid version. One of my favorite parts of it is that I can ask it to play a sing and it'll build a station based on that song. I've heard many things I probably wouldn't by saying "Play I Stay Away".

You can also ask it to play whole albums, which is nice. I no longer need to buy albums. I can just add them to my library and go (not from the car, you need to add to library from your phone or the web).

Also, I have a 6-year-old. She's all the time coming home from school singing a new song. Once I find out what it is I add it to a playlist (again, on the phone or web) and can play it anytime she wants. Since it's a subscription, I don't have to buy a song she'll forget about in a few months/years.

Since I bought my Jetta in March I think I've had the local radio on twice, the trial sirrus/xm on a handfull of times and the remaining 95% has been Google Play Music.

There's also the ability to skip to your heart's content and no ads.