Can't Hear Text Messages Through BT with Pie

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Ever since my Pixel 2 XL updated to Pie, I can no longer hear text messages through BT. Music apps play fine, but when I ask for a message to be played I see that it's playing, but I can't hear anything. At first I thought it was an issue with Android Auto, but deleting the app made no difference.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Is the particular BT connection set for media and phone? If it's only set for media, and the text is being played as audio through the phone channel, it isn't going to come through.

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Is the particular BT connection set for media and phone? If it's only set for media, and the text is being played as audio through the phone channel, it isn't going to come through.
I haven't checked the settings, but I'm able to make calls and listen to music through BT. It's just text messages that don't come through.

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
All settings on for BT
9c27bf226431c4153d5c705cf6d98d71.jpg

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I jumped through hoops with tech support chat on my phone. They had me do a bunch of stuff, none of which made a difference.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Pie has been the best Bluetooth experience I have ever had on an Android device.... that being said though, I only use a Bluetooth earpiece. I never connect it to anything else like Android auto because I know what I'm going to get..... problems. The industry in general hasn't really figured out how to make anything work reliably on Bluetooth, and I have my doubts they ever will.

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Pie has been the best Bluetooth experience I have ever had on an Android device.... that being said though, I only use a Bluetooth earpiece. I never connect it to anything else like Android auto because I know what I'm going to get..... problems. The industry in general hasn't really figured out how to make anything work reliably on Bluetooth, and I have my doubts they ever will.
It worked perfectly until I upgraded to Pie.

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It might be a compatibility issues between the Pixel 2 XL and Mini Cooper. I'm renting a Nissan Rogue and it played messages.

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It's actually more than just text messages I'm missing out of. I stopped hearing Google Assistant through BT since I upgraded to Pie.

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Just went through a frustrating chat with Google. Since Assistant works fine with my Airpods, they conclude it's not a problem with the phone. The fact that I stopped being able to hear Assistant through my car's BT when I installed Pie is apparently irrelevant. Nothing changed with the car, the only thing that changed was the phone. I asked if I could take the phone back to Oreo to see if that fixed the problem and they advised against it.

mikec8785

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Bumping this thread because I am having the exact same issue and I've yet to find a solution. Pixel 3 XL, using the Android Auto app and connecting to 2018 BMW via Bluetooth. Google Assistant audio does not come through the speakers although everything else does (e.g., Google Music). The Google Assistant can still hear my requests and functions as normal other than no audio is played.

Any solutions? I thought I saw someone suggest trying the Google Services Beta track.

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen or heard of a solution yet. Since everything works with my AirPods I was thinking of plugging in a third party BT dongle to see if it works with that.

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tested it yet, but someone suggested turning on Developer Mode in Android and then select to have BT work in AAC (Advanced Audio Coding). I've got it set up, I just need to test it.

critta71

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
I have the same problem with My Huawei mate 10 pro. Happened also after pie update. Its documented throughout the internet and on the google forum help thingo.. But no answers. It def has something to do with pie. But maybe not everyone is experiencing it as for the different standards of Bluetooth out there.
Mine does it when connected to my car. 2012 ford territory no android auto in it just stock Bluetooth which worked perfect(not as good as windows phone) in oreo. So when I am driving I do not get notified of any messages or alerts. Unless i have the car system set to bluetooth streaming.. But I often like to listen to the radio or use a usb stick for music. But guess google has forgot to consider that in the new OS

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tested it yet, but someone suggested turning on Developer Mode in Android and then select to have BT work in AAC (Advanced Audio Coding). I've got it set up, I just need to test it.
I'm happy that it worked for the person who posted it, but this fix did nothing for me. I poked around with other Dev settings but got nowhere.

Joemcbb

Apr 15, 2018
Visit site
Ever since my Pixel 2 XL updated to Pie, I can no longer hear text messages through BT. Music apps play fine, but when I ask for a message to be played I see that it's playing, but I can't hear anything. At first I thought it was an issue with Android Auto, but deleting the app made no difference.
I am having the same issue with the Samsung note 9. Text messages are no longer being sent to my vehicle as notifications at all. Phone calls still display and work. On a related bluetooth matter, when I updated to pie the volume output and signal strength dropped at least 25%. I now have to crank the volume into the red to hear it and get constant signal interruptions if wearing bt headphones

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa