Speech services downloading English update stuck

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a 6 Pro from Verizon. Every time I restart I get the following notification. "Speech services by Google downloading English (US) update, waiting for network connection."

Of course I'm on the Verizon network and the download never starts. My first thought was that something was set to only download over wifi, so I went to Google settings and changed the Mobile data and Messaging setting to wifi and cellular under Data Management. No change. If I switch to wifi, the notification goes away, like it finished the download, but on restart the message comes back.

Anyone else getting this notification it have any ideas how to make it finish the download?

DONLATINOHEAT

Jan 13, 2022
Visit site
Can't get this to stop downloading

I'm on a galaxy s10e and have been having a notice about downloading English (US) Update and that it is waiting for network connection.

I have tried some of the things on here but nothing has worked please help

Maxjonz

Jan 13, 2022
Visit site
re:

I had both UK and US languages in my Google system, The one from the UK was the one causing the problems, so I uninstalled it then downloaded it again. The offending download disappeared when I restarted the Phone and so far it hasn't reappeared. If you only have one language installed then you could install say the US one before deleting the one causing the problem, then download the problem language again before restarting.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Can't get this to stop downloading

I'm on a galaxy s10e and have been having a notice about downloading English (US) Update and that it is waiting for network connection.

I have tried some of the things on here but nothing has worked please help

[I merged you to this existing thread that has the solution]

A

Android Central Question

Speech services down load stuck why ?

I went to google play store uninstalled and reinstalled speech services app seems to have corrected problem

GodBotherer

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
re:

As others have noted, the Speech Services have their own settings for controlling auto updates.

My phone is a Samung A20e and I'm in UK and using English (UK)

My situation may have been slightly different in that the Google App was disabled in settings (I disabled it when I bought the phone). The problem first manifested itself after I downloaded an update (via Google Play Store) for "Speech Services by Google" (which it announced as a renamed and updated version of Google Text To Speech Engine).

With hindsight it might seem a bit odd that an update was being offered for a disabled app (i.e. I'm not sure if that is normal practice or not).

Sometime soon after the afore-mentioned Speech Services by Google update I received a notification sound and saw the scrolling download icon in noifications for an English (UK) update.

Couldn't work out what was the cause / what to do, so googled and found this thread.

From this thread I deduced that it was to do with the Google App. But as mentioned, Google App was disabled on the phone and so I could not access Google in Settings

So turned on Google App. Then offered an update to said app. So applied this and subsequently managed to access "Settings > Google > Settings for Google Apps > Search, Assistant & Voice > Voice > Offline Speech Recognition".

Tried changing the download settings as mentioned by chez6229. Issue went away, but returned a few hours later.

In the end what solved it for me was uninstalling an English (UK) language update (that was supposedly already there and may not necessarily be the same as the one that was trying to be downloaded), disabling English (UK), re-enabling English (UK), letting it reinstall the previously removed English (UK) update. Note that English (US) was still there throughout (is it installed by default on all devices anyhow?).

I then left the Google App enabled on for a day. All OK. So then disbled Google App again, still all OK for a few days now.

Kunal999

Jan 16, 2022
Visit site
re:

Welcome to AC!
Thanks for tip , looks like couple things already worked in this thread

Update on solution & issue:

Phone: Samsung S9

Before trying below I Uninstalled the Language relevant & changed the update settings to do not auto update.

Clear cache & Force Stop + Restart: Temporarily removed but appeared again.

Uninstalled Speech service (from Play Store) & reinstalled (had Update option) + Restart: Temporarily removed but appeared again.

Uninstalled Speech service (from Play Store) & Disabled Speech Service (from phone's app settings): Resolved but unable to use Speech service untill Google adds a patch or update.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
re:

Update on solution & issue:

Phone: Samsung S9

Before trying below I Uninstalled the Language relevant & changed the update settings to do not auto update.

Clear cache & Force Stop + Restart: Temporarily removed but appeared again.

Uninstalled Speech service (from Play Store) & reinstalled (had Update option) + Restart: Temporarily removed but appeared again.

Uninstalled Speech service (from Play Store) & Disabled Speech Service (from phone's app settings): Resolved but unable to use Speech service untill Google adds a patch or update.
Welcome, thanks for posting your fix .

A

Android Central Question

Why is my "English language update download" still not working after 4 solid days?

My Samsung Z-fold edge has been trying to download the English update for 4 days. I read through the forum, changed all the settings per the forum suggestions, and it's still stuck. I've turned my phone off and on several times a day and it's STILL STUCK. I have no idea what else to do. It's killing my battery. Please make it stop!!!!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Why is my "English language update download" still not working after 4 solid days?

My Samsung Z-fold edge has been trying to download the English update for 4 days. I read through the forum, changed all the settings per the forum suggestions, and it's still stuck. I've turned my phone off and on several times a day and it's STILL STUCK. I have no idea what else to do. It's killing my battery. Please make it stop!!!!

[Merge you with ongoing talk about this]

A

Android Central Question

Tablet downloading english uk update

My new Samsung tablet is trying to download English (uk) update. How can I stop it. Every time I switch it on its trying to download it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa