[MEGATHREAD] File System Limit

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I'm getting a "File System Limit" message on my phone. Anyone else experiencing this?

I've only had my phone for about 3 months and I get this message that will not go away. I took it to an AT&T store and even they haven't seen it before. I have 32G of storage remaining. The message also reads "Too many files have been created on your phone. Apps may stop working correctly and your phone may no longer start up. Back up any important data and factory reset your phone."

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey.. so as above I have 10*

I have * as the system is only counting apps I have downloaded, Twitter for example and its not counting the Samsung browser for example.
Hi , ok gotcha
Now the stuff like you mentioned photos, videos,music you transferred to sd card , does anything still stay in your photo gallery?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's pretty odd. Let's confirm this is a genuine Samsung phone (since counterfeits/knockoffs are still pretty common). Use an app like CPU-Z and tell us which CPU it finds. It should be either a Qualcomm Snapdragon or a Samsung Exynos. If it's a Mediatek, I'd suspect a knockoff phone (which means the firmware could be pretty buggy).

Also, what's the exact model number of the phone?

And does the 11.5 GB out of 16 GB being used include the space taken by the OS? In other words, does it tell you that you still have 4.5 GB free?

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I have a Samsung J5 and every month I get an error:

"File System Limit: too many files have been created on yiur phone. Apps may stop working correctly and your phone may no longer start up. Back up any important data and reset your phone".

Since around 2017 I have reset this phone about 50 times (no joke)

Phone info:
Samsung J5
Bought in Dubai (dual sim - I live in Ireland)
Using 11.5gb of 16gb
SW is up to date
Havd removed all usued apps, files etc - evrrything I can is stored on SD

Any ideas?

Mario
Welcome to the forums. See if the solutions included in this thread work for you.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=899768

mm66rr44ss22

May 2, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,
@mustang7757 -> So when I remove the SD card the only items left on the phone are apps and phone numbers... Nothing else. I have even deleted call records and all text messages. Whatsapp doesnt allow me to store media on the SD card to I deleted all of this too. I tried the 'file manager' app and it only found 568kb it could clean!!
@B. Diddy -> Hi -> I downloaded the CPU-Z app and all seems in order. See images + error I get. Also, so data seems to be broken down as:

System/User Data: 6.2GB
Available Space: 9.8GB

@All -> I had to reset the phone as my apps were beginning to fail which is what happens when the phone goes mental. Had no choice...

error.jpg
Screenshot_20190503-145319.jpg
Screenshot_20190503-145323.jpg
Screenshot_20190503-145328.jpg
@Javier P -> Hi -> Yep I found this thread before and a few other however they seem to trail off with no fixes, that's why I decided to open my own thread... I refuse to let this phone win :) One of the users states the following: " I am using a Samsung J7 prime(non rooted) and i had the "File System Limit" as well. I tried cleaning cache and so on but that didn't work along. What i tried to do is that , i have clicked the notification message for some second and it hasd open the settings of the (Android System) and then i clicked (force Stop) , the message (File System limit) had disappear and then my phone work properly. In my opinion i guess that's a bug in the system and its a common one." I tried this however it doesn't work for me. Also if I run the 'maintenance feature' in android the error will go for about 30 minutes and then come back.

@All -> One user states ping tools holds a lot of background data, in his case 3GB of Data. I work in networking and use ping tools a lot so I wont download this app this time or speedtest apps and see if the error comes back. I'm not 100% sure if this will work or clearing cache from apps as some users have said the issue comes back anyway! But will give it a shot...

Other than this I'm at a loss. My other phone runs ping tools (several versions), speedtest apps etc I have at least double the apps on the A5 and its completely fine so... I'm confused :|

Thanks all for the replies so far, I appreciate it

MrsU

May 23, 2019
Visit site
Re: I'm getting a "File System Limit" message on my phone. Anyone else experiencing this?

THIS IS THE ANSWER. My problem app on J7 was Samsung Members a messaging app 2.63 GB.
I uninstalled it. Problem solved.
Thanks Jim Agnew.

A

Android Central Question

Im getting file system limit

I have a Samsung Galaxy tab A, and I'm getting a message saying my phone file system is reaching the limit do a factory reset. I have zero idea what to do especially since it's not a phone, and I haven't added any apps, it's all the original stuff that came on the tablet

ME Wh

Nov 8, 2019
Visit site
Re: I'm getting a "File System Limit" message on my phone. Anyone else experiencing this?

If anyone is still experiencing this, I just recieved the message and found that Samsung members app was overloading my phone with sh*! So I deleted Samsung members hope this works 🤞

taralc

Nov 9, 2019
Visit site

So I have been getting this file system message for a few days telling me to many files have been created back up and factory reset my phone. I had tried everything to get rid of it and it would not go away. Finally i saw someone on here post that they went through their apps and and sort by size. I found that an app called Samsung members/samsung+ had 23gb of data. I do not use this app and after reading the reviews on it there were people having similar issues with it. As soon as I hit uninstall on it the file system notification went away. Not sure if that will help you but it did take it off my Samsung.

orchid lady

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site

Fix...Choose settings,
Select apps, select an app, ie Facebook, select storage, clear cache
Should clear notification.

A

Android Central Question

I keep receiving a file limit restriction messages .

android file limit restriction. I erased all the files and I am still receiving this messages what do I do to fix this problem. I have upgraded my phone and I still have this problem

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: My file system limit wont go away

Under what context are you seeing this? What device do you have? The very limited information you've provided does not help us in trying to help you.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: File system limit??????

Please help us understand what, exactly, your issue is. Based on what you've given us we can't even begin to provide ideas. We don't know what device you have, what OS it's running, when this issue happens, nothing.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non