[HOW-TO] Download/Install Honeycomb to Nook Color (SD card)

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
***NOTE: HONEYCOMB CAN NOW BE INSTALLED TO YOUR NOOK'S INTERNAL MEMORY TOO. SEE THIS THREAD FOR INSTRUCTIONS. THIS THREAD IS FOR SD CARD INSTALLATION.

* UPDATE 2/8 MORE FIXES:

(quoted from dev's thread)

"v04 - 02/07/2011
increased touchscreen sensitivity and made touchscreen more usable close to the borders (kernel change)
fixed heap size issue to get much more programs running (e.g. nook app, kindle app, etc.)"

Those updating from the previous version, see updating section at bottom

Here's how to get Honeycomb running on your Nook Color right now.

Credit to dev deeper-blue (Rafael Brune) whose thread can be found here: Android 3.0 Honeycomb Image - xda-developers

1. Download the image:

nookhoney04.img.zip

Torrent: nookhoney04.img.zip (might be faster than either of the above options - of course you'll need a torrent client like bittorrent)

Unzip the image onto your computer using WinRAR on PC, or or Stuffit Expander (on Mac).

2. Get an SD card, at least 4GB.

Some had problems with 4GB cards, others said the image stalled burning, but then it worked anyway. Worth a try, but larger than 4GB, you should be fine.

3A. PC Users:

- The usual program for this, Win32DiskImager, isn't working with this large file. So download WinImage, and under 'Disk' choose "Restore Virtual Image to Physical Drive." Change the files shown at the bottom to "all files" and select the file.

On Mac:

3B. Mac Users:

- Open a terminal window

-Find which drive the sd card is mapped to: type in the terminal this:
diskutil list

- Be very careful to identify the SD card and not your hard disk. Be VERY careful.

- Now unmount that drive typing this:
diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk#
(My computer is was disk2 replace # with your number. Do NOT use the disk#s)

The computer should say: Unmount of all volumes on disk was successful

Type:

dd if=nookhoney04.img of=/dev/rdisk# bs=1m

Everything needed should copy right over to the card.

4. Power down your Nook, insert the microSD card, and it should boot into Honeycomb!!!!!!

Installing the Android Market on the Nook Color running Honeycomb:

1. Download this version of the Market (2.2.11).

2. Download GoogleServicesFramework.apk.

3. Place the files in your adb tools folder (or platform-tools on the newer version - wherever adb.exe is)

4. Open a command prompt in that folder, and issue the following commands:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /system

adb push Vending.apk system/app/Vending.apk

adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk

adb shell

cd system/app

chmod 6755 Vending.apk

chmod 6755 GoogleServicesFramework.apk

exit

adb reboot

Then go to apps, open the market, sign in. If the Market won't open at first, reboot and try again.

**Overclock instructions greyed out until new kernels are confirmed working with the new update**
Overclocking Honeycomb to 1.1GHz (might work, might not, might work then stop working):

Credit goes to dalingrin, his thread: [FYI]http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=925451

1. Download uImage (extract the uImage file somewhere on your computer)

2. If you haven't yet booted Honeycomb, skip to 4. If you've already booted it, see 3.

3. With the Nook booted into Honeycomb, connect via adb, and issue the following:

adb shell

cd data/dalvik-cache

rm *

exit

. . . and then power off your Nook immediately, without opening any apps. It's probably best to power it off with a hard reset (hold power down 10-15 seconds).

4. Remove the SD card, and place it back in an SD reader.

5. Open the folder (it should say boot) and make a copy of that uImage file on your computer. If you discover later on that the overclocking kernel doesn't work, simply replace the new one with this original that you're backing up now.

6. Now replace it with the uImage folder you downloaded earlier. Reboot, and enjoy the overclock!

Updating

To preserve much of your data, first, you'll need to root. See our stickied root Honeycomb on the Nook thread. This has nothing to do with whether the Barnes & Noble ROM is rooted or not on your Nook.

Now, while still on version 2, do a complete backup with Titanium backup.

Then, open a command prompt in your adb folder and enter the following:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1 /

adb pull sdcard/[path to your adb folder, such as c:/sdk/tools/]/honeysd

Then update to v2 by the procedure above. Then root again by the procedure in that thread.

Now open another command prompt in the same place:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1 /

adb push [path to your adb folder]/honeysd/ sdcard/

Then restore apps in Titanium Backup (one at a time, starting with your most essential apps is recommended. This is still an early build and some apps can causes crashes).

You should have all your apps now!

Features currently not working:

- not much to mention - lets play with this new update and see . . .

***note that you may need to turn your screen off/on once after every reboot to avoid touchscreen lag (much like w/Nookie Froyo)

Last edited:

NDchem2014

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
So, if I power off the nook and take the SD card out, will I be back to my stock rooted nook? If so, I think I'll be trying this tonight when I get home from work. :)

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Will definitely be trying this when I get home... the only thing that bugs me is, for some reason WINImage doesn't work for me... that's why I"ve been using the other program. When I go to select the drive I want, and "restore virtual image" it doesn't find any of my drives or anything. That's why I've been using the other program. Any suggestions?

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
So, if I power off the nook and take the SD card out, will I be back to my stock rooted nook? If so, I think I'll be trying this tonight when I get home from work. :)

Yeah, this shouldn't affect your internal memory at all.

Will definitely be trying this when I get home... the only thing that bugs me is, for some reason WINImage doesn't work for me... that's why I"ve been using the other program. When I go to select the drive I want, and "restore virtual image" it doesn't find any of my drives or anything. That's why I've been using the other program. Any suggestions?

I had that happen when I was using my Evo as a makeshift card reader. Now I'm using an actual SD reader and it's worked every time. If you're already using a reader, not sure what advice to give. Reboot?

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, will mess around with it when I get home, stuck at work for now ;) Thankfully have a few different platforms I can try it on, a Win 7 64 machine, a Win 7 32 machine, and a Ubuntu machine. Will see what kind of damage I can do :) Thanks for the quick reply!

Reactions: JimMcCann

soundsource

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, I have been running nookie froyo from the sd card since the modified 0.5.9 image came out. I simply love it. I have things just how i want them for about a week now. Still checking here every day to see the various advances and issues., but really content with where I'm at with my NC.
Now I see this.
I need your opinion on whether to install honeycomb, or leave well enough alone. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
TIA

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey all, I have been running nookie froyo from the sd card since the modified 0.5.9 image came out. I simply love it. I have things just how i want them for about a week now. Still checking here every day to see the various advances and issues., but really content with where I'm at with my NC.
Now I see this.
I need your opinion on whether to install honeycomb, or leave well enough alone. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
TIA

My take is that if you get an extra SD card, there's really no harm at all. Then you can run either whenever you want.

SpenserS

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Does the card need to be formated before hand? or can I just use the terminal to put the image on my 16 gb Evo card and put it in my Nook? That would save me a lot of time to just try this out.

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Does the card need to be formated before hand? or can I just use the terminal to put the image on my 16 gb Evo card and put it in my Nook? That would save me a lot of time to just try this out.

You shouldn't need to format beforehand, it'll do that when you burn it. Mine still had a nookie froyo image on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress