How to Stream Hulu on the Nook Color and Other Android Devices

huskermania

Jun 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
Hey everyone,

After I sent my video to Android Central about enabling Netflix on the Nook Color, Phil asked me if I'd be interested in becoming a part of the forums. Well here I am with a video on how to enable Hulu streaming on the Nook Color. (And hopefully some other Android devices as well.) =P

Basically I made this work with a modified version of Flash that was supposed to work with the Xoom, but it didn't work for me. Out of curiosity, I downloaded it onto the NC and Dinc and it worked perfectly!

Here's my video on how to do it:

YouTube - ‪How to Stream Hulu on the Nook Color and Other Android Devices‬‏

If you follow directions better by reading, here is the how-to in text form:

1) Download this on your computer: http://www.bigrushmods.com/xoom/modz/Flash_10.3-Hulufied_BRDizzle.apk

2) Drag it into Dropbox (Install Dropbox on your computer and make an account if necessary.)

3) On your Android device, enable apps to be installed if they weren't downloaded from the Market.
To do this: Settings>Applications>Check the box next to Unknown sources.

4) Remove Adobe Flash Player from your device.
To do this: Settings>Applications>Manage applications>Adobe Flash Player 10.x>Uninstall>OK>OK

5) Download Dolphin Browser HD and Dropbox.

6) Open Dropbox (Log in if necessary) and tap on the Flash file we downloaded on the computer. It should start downloading automatically.

7) Once it's done, it'll prompt you to install Adobe Flash. Install it.

8) Open up Dolphin Browser HD.

9) If it's your first time using it, accept the license agreement and hit next a bunch of times. Hit skip when it comes to entering an email address.

10) Menu>More>Settings>User Agent>Custom> type in "WIN" without the "">OK

11) After you change the User Agent, scroll down to Advanced Settings>Enable plug-ins>Always on

12) Go to hulu.com and pick something to watch.

13) Once you pick something, you should see a "Loading" animation where the video should be playing. That's a good thing because you'd usually see a "Hulu is not currently supported on this device" error message.

14) When the video starts playing, you'll probably notice that the video is extremely choppy. That's fine, we'll change that soon.

15) Wait for the first ad to pass, it makes it easier to change the video settings.

16) Once the ad is done, tap on the video to pause it. Rotate your device so it is in landscape if you haven't done so already.

17) Tap on the icon that looks like a gear. Change the resolution to 288p, or whatever the lowest resolution is. You can always experiment with this later, but 288p seems to work great.

18) Hit update. (You can also tell it to save that as a default by tapping the checkbox next to "Save this as my default.")

19) Make the video full screen and enjoy your TV show/ movie!

Quick(ish) notes:

If you're having problems with the audio playback, try rotating the device 90 degrees. (90-180 or 180-90) That fixes the problem 99% of the time for me. If that doesn't work, verify that the audio isn't muted on the video page. Also, try turning up the audio on your device. If all else fails, reboot and try again. If it still fails, uninstall Flash, and reinstall the modified version.

As Adobe updates Flash, Hulu streaming may / probably will stop working. If that's the case, I'll do my best to find an updated version of the modified Flash file. To re-enable Hulu streaming, you'll have to remove the old version of Flash and install the new modified version. After you do that, it should start working again.

(Thanks to BigRushDog at XDA for creating the modified Flash file!)

Hope this works for everyone!

--Alex

Last edited by a moderator:

killab

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Quick tip, I do not have a Dropbox account but was able to send myself a Gmail with the Flash apk attached to it. It allowed me to install the apk from the email. Works like a charm!! Thanks huskermania!!

huskermania

Jun 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
Quick tip, I do not have a Dropbox account but was able to send myself a Gmail with the Flash apk attached to it. It allowed me to install the apk from the email. Works like a charm!! Thanks huskermania!!

Yeah, as long as you get it to the NC in some way or another you're all good. :)

Glad it's working for you!

technomom

May 16, 2010
Visit site
It works but still a little choppy on my Droid Incredible (Cyanogen 7.0.3).

I would recommend that if you have Tasker, set up a script that sets the screen timeout only if you start up the browser. Screen timeouts of 30mins can eat battery pretty quickly otherwise.

huskermania

Jun 12, 2010
www.youtube.com
It works but still a little choppy on my Droid Incredible (Cyanogen 7.0.3).

I would recommend that if you have Tasker, set up a script that sets the screen timeout only if you start up the browser. Screen timeouts of 30mins can eat battery pretty quickly otherwise.

Did you change the video resolution to 288p? If you change the resolution, it should increase the stream quality considerably.

kjparfekt

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Anyone try this on the nexus s 4g? I'd love to watch some hulu or mega video...basically any streaming of video during the day. For now netflix is doing the job fine. Great video quality but could use a bigger selection to watch.

Jish92

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Trying to do this on my Droid X. I installed the special Flash apk, but when I went to Hulu and tried to play a video it said I needed at least Flash 10.32 . . .

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! Got this working on my Epic 4G, had to add some steps, but it works. Flash player wouldn't install from the sd card. I had to push it manually through adb to /system/app then install it with a file manager.

fletchersyntax

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
This definitely didn't work but I do love that browser now. Hahahah... When I go to hulu.com is states "Hulu requires Flash Player 10.0.32 or higher. Please downlo....." I followed the directions to a T and everything seemed to install/work fine. I'm on a Dell Streak running Froyo 2.2.2. It seems it's something to do with hulu.com not recognizing that I have Flash (your version 10.3) installed. My Netflix still works great though with your edited version of Flash. So at least it didn't break anything.

Any idea's?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
This definitely didn't work but I do love that browser now. Hahahah... When I go to hulu.com is states "Hulu requires Flash Player 10.0.32 or higher. Please downlo....." I followed the directions to a T and everything seemed to install/work fine. I'm on a Dell Streak running Froyo 2.2.2. It seems it's something to do with hulu.com not recognizing that I have Flash (your version 10.3) installed. My Netflix still works great though with your edited version of Flash. So at least it didn't break anything.

Any idea's?

I got that to... try installing flash from system/app. Worked after that.
Also, Netflix doesn't use flash to work, so it wouldn't affect it at all. All this is doing is hex editing the flash player and browser to make hulu think a windows pc is accessing it.

Bolt_of_Thunder

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Just got the huluified flash apk installed on my thunderbolt thru dropbox and am currently watching last weeks episode of The Office without a hitch!! Thank you huskermania!!

Forgot to mention: I'm rooted running BAMF 1.6.3 Remix

Last edited: