hello? hello? can you hear me?

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

I believe I tried this unsuccessfully. I will try it again shortly as I just loaded Oreo Beta 3. Did you try it already?

Edit: Beta 3 made no difference. I disabled VoLTE calling by turning off advanced 4G function. After a reboot I was able to place two consecutive calls that went through perfectly. Too soon to tell if it will hold up but I sure hope so.

Last edited:

Runell A

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
mine has been working flawlessly now (on stock build). Just sucks since I know Bell has this feature, but yet I can't use it.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
What change did you make? Disabled VoLTE same as I?

To quote myself, after I disabled VoLTE (aptly named "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode") in mobile network settings, the issue with call connectivity has been resolved. I have now gone five days without any issues. It's quite annoying that I cannot take advantage of VoLTE properly but perhaps this will be resolved when modem enhancements come out in Oreo 8.1 release.

Jaimeebrooke

Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I just begun having this same problem with my Huawei P10. Whenever I call someone they can't hear me so I hang uo and ring them back. Generally the second time it works fine but sometimes it takes over 3 tries for the call to work. When I speak to the person they all report not being able to hear me but they can hear their own voices being repeated. I got a new sim card but that didn't help. Then I saw the post about turning off OK Google but it was already off so that can't be the issue! I really love this phone but this issue it such a pain! Does anyone have a fix? I now always start a call by saying "Hello can you hear me" and if the call does work the person is confused. I hope someone did find a reason to why this began happening.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I just begun having this same problem with my Huawei P10. Whenever I call someone they can't hear me so I hang uo and ring them back. Generally the second time it works fine but sometimes it takes over 3 tries for the call to work. When I speak to the person they all report not being able to hear me but they can hear their own voices being repeated. I got a new sim card but that didn't help. Then I saw the post about turning off OK Google but it was already off so that can't be the issue! I really love this phone but this issue it such a pain! Does anyone have a fix? I now always start a call by saying "Hello can you hear me" and if the call does work the person is confused. I hope someone did find a reason to why this began happening.
are you also on Bell Mobility?

anon(10268214)

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
The roll-out of VoLTE is a total disaster. Some phones are supported by carriers and not others, and on top of that there are compatibility issues between different networks. There is only one way for the carriers to fix this which is to support it universally for all devices across the board including so called 'grey market' (unlocked) ones. I can almost guarantee if you are having these issues it is a non-carrier device...except for an iPhone or Pixel, both of which are supported directly by the manufacturer without any carrier interference.

Until the carriers open up access, people are going to blame their phones for these so-called signal and reception issues. Carriers are trying to push VoLTE as a 'premium' service and want us buying 'supported' devices from them, on a plan.

Meanwhile, somewhere in fine print they will tell you VoLTE service won't work 100% of the time anyway, because of network and device compatibility issues. Lol.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
The roll-out of VoLTE is a total disaster. Some phones are supported by carriers and not others, and on top of that there are compatibility issues between different networks. There is only one way for the carriers to fix this which is to support it universally for all devices across the board including so called 'grey market' (unlocked) ones. I can almost guarantee if you are having these issues it is a non-carrier device...except for an iPhone or Pixel, both of which are supported directly by the manufacturer without any carrier interference.

Until the carriers open up access, people are going to blame their phones for these so-called signal and reception issues. Carriers are trying to push VoLTE as a 'premium' service and want us buying 'supported' devices from them, on a plan.

Meanwhile, somewhere in fine print they will tell you VoLTE service won't work 100% of the time anyway, because of network and device compatibility issues. Lol.
Bingo. I had this exact issue going back half a year or a bit more. My perfectly compatible iPhone 7 Plus wasn’t working with VoLTE because Bell was saying my plan is not compatible and I need to buy a different, more expensive plan from them. Then magically it because compatible and now I have VoLTE, but only if I use an approved device. For example, using an iPhone X or Samsung S8+ works fine. Using a BlackBerry KeyOne Black Edition does not even though the device is fully VoLTE compatible. I will say though that the Essential case is a bit particular in that it sometimes works and other times it doesn’t.

anon(10268214)

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
Bingo. I had this exact issue going back half a year or a bit more. My perfectly compatible iPhone 7 Plus wasn’t working with VoLTE because Bell was saying my plan is not compatible and I need to buy a different, more expensive plan from them. Then magically it because compatible and now I have VoLTE, but only if I use an approved device. For example, using an iPhone X or Samsung S8+ works fine. Using a BlackBerry KeyOne Black Edition does not even though the device is fully VoLTE compatible. I will say though that the Essential case is a bit particular in that it sometimes works and other times it doesn’t.

Yes, and the reason your iPhone became compatible was because when Bell enabled it they had to do so for all iPhones 7's, not just the ones purchased through Bell. Apple pushed out an iOS update enabling VoLTE on all iPhones 6 and above with iOS 10 and as far as I know, VoLTE is supported for all these iPhones if the carrier has the service. Same goes for the Pixel. In both cases these are the only devices sold through carriers whose device software updates bypass carrier interference. This privileged position enables both Apple and Google access to premium features that the carrier can block on other devices by withholding updates and services, even when the devices are fully compatible.

On Telus my Essential always downgrades to 3G on a call and I know this is Telus' fault and has nothing to do with the capabilities of the phone...

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Time to try the Enhanced 4G LTE Mode again. I installed 8.1 official and so far every call has gone through without a hitch and without dropping to 3G. Need more time to call this fixed, but so far the signs are promising. This is on Bell Mobility Canada.

Runell A

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
been using the phone with "enhanced 4g LTE" switched on again ever since updating to the official 8.1.... so far so good.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
been using the phone with "enhanced 4g LTE" switched on again ever since updating to the official 8.1.... so far so good.
Most excellent. I haven’t had any failures either since official 8.1 came out. I’ve had at least 15-20 calls. I think we can call this fixed, at least on Bell Mobility.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Most excellent. I haven’t had any failures either since official 8.1 came out. I’ve had at least 15-20 calls. I think we can call this fixed, at least on Bell Mobility.
Well, the problem is back. I have no idea what changed. I did see a new “Carrier Update” come down recently but other than that I don’t think anything changed, yet The problem is back. Switching off “Enhanced 4G LTE” fixes it. Bummer.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
This has happened to me as well... it sux, but at least we have a fix for it

True. Didn't test things since the April update as I'm now using my iPhone X again but will test whether the problem still persists. Modem updates were included in the April update.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa