Is screen protector necessary for Corning Gorilla Glass phones?

geeklion

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
So i did a survey on thumb, half of the people said:

"yes, you need a screen protector. Just because they don't break, doesn't mean that they are scratch proof."

And the other half said:
"No. You don't need a screen protector. It's no use and buying one is just a waste of money."

Now im confused. Opinions?

jbliv63

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is screen protector necessary for Corning Gorilla Glass phone

I've had my Galaxy S II for 4 months now, Gorilla Glass, no screen protector, not one defect yet in the glass. Unnecessary I think.

Suzette5

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site

My teen boy does not have a screen protector. he puts his phone in his pocket and generally mistreats his phone. No scratches yet.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

It all depends on how you use the device. Remember, the screen is not really scratch/damage proof. If positioned correctly and the right amount of pressured placed a deep scratch can happen.

If you are overly cautious and don't put the device in the same pockets as loose change, keys, etc. you should be OK. if it eases you at all knowing you have that added layer or protection then purchase a protector. You are always going to get mixed thoughts if you should one or not based on personal preference.

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Gorilla glass are stronger but they are NOT unbreakable. It just take a little more to break/scratch in most instance but anything can happen.
i have some light scratch on my tablet with gorilla glass. They were poetically scratched by some diamonds as i work in that field.:D

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

Is it necessary? No. But can it get scratched. You bet.

I have a SGS2ET4G, but put on a screen protector (Steinheil). I generally take pretty good care of my phones, but you never know. You can barely tell there is anything on the glass.

I'd rather have the very thin layer of extra protection. Ultimately, it's your call.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Look at it this way. Do you want to take te chance of being in the position to say "why didn't I buy that 3-pack of screen protectors on Amazon for 99 cents"?

Cellmeister

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

it's always better to have it & not need it

then to not have it & need it

My opinion: Get a pack they are cheap enough & easy enough to apply, just check reviews on the brand your getting 1st, ie some require water to install, some don't & bubble factor, static cling, washable?, etc

hope that sways your decision

andyberman

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

I've had my DroidX for a while, and there's no scratches at all despite several drops.

blaine07

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't use phone as football ;-)

Ultimately if your worried enough about it to ask then Yes, it does.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

patyboy123

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

actually I just got my 1 st scratch... kind of pissed too.. HTC Rezound... Like 6 week old. Don't even know how. I had an Incredible for like 2 year with one one nick. Guess I have to get a screen protector. :(

kiki527

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site

I have gorilla glass on my tablet and my library card rubbed against it by accident in its case and put a very small scratch on it that you only notice if the screen is off. I didn't get the screen protector because i keep a cover on the tablet but I'm going to get one now.

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I've had my Bionic since September without a scratch, crack or dent, and I am certainly less than punctilious about it. But I know from iPhone users that it can easily shatter. More important that protects the phone when it is dropped.

hmk10974

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Don't use phone as football ;-)

Ultimately if your worried enough about it to ask then Yes, it does.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Lol! My 5 year old son played "catch" with my Atrix...on cement...when it was <24hours old. I have left it on the roof of my car and drove down the block (25mph impact onto old concrete street) AND I've dropped it down the stairs in the parking garage at work. Not a scratch. The battery cover looks like it's been to hell and back, but the screen is flawless.
Go ahead and play football with it. If it's *really* GorillaGlass it can take it ;-)

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Lol! My 5 year old son played "catch" with my Atrix...on cement...when it was <24hours old. I have left it on the roof of my car and drove down the block (25mph impact onto old concrete street) AND I've dropped it down the stairs in the parking garage at work. Not a scratch. The battery cover looks like it's been to hell and back, but the screen is flawless.
Go ahead and play football with it. If it's *really* GorillaGlass it can take it ;-)

Wow, sounds like you should be working in the durability testing department of one of the device manufacturers:p

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Wow, sounds like you should be working in the durability testing department of one of the device manufacturers:p

I was thinking the same exact thing. But it's true, screens are very durable now. My daughter was playing with my Hero face down on the cement and the screen protector came off. To my surprise there was no damage to the screen.

daveppeters

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site

If you're going to get a screen protector, why not invest in a good one? Get a ZAGG Invisible Shield and you will wonder why you ever spent money on the cheap ones!!

Trentoncc24

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

It all depends on how picky you are about your screens look. Some people also don't consider micro scratches to be scratches. I have a friend who doesn't use a screen protector and he claims that his is scratch free, however I look at it and see tons of microscratches. I'm somewhat picky about that stuff. I know my screen protector has saved me more than once so far, but some people don't think much about scratches, they just use the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez