google one/drive/photos

smilesbevie

Jan 27, 2019
Visit site
google one is so confusing. drive is drive, photos are in drive, so why have 2 entities?

also,...just discovering that syncing uses memory on your computer/phone and if you back up a lot as i do you will fill up your memory very quickly. that's messed up...a cloud should be a cloud, ...why establish a "drive" folder on your computer/phone when you set up sync!?

worse yet, if you make a change in a file name or location, it doesn't "change" everywhere....my files are so messed up when i assumed the entire platform "communicated" across the board!

ugh...ive gotten to a place where i want to end backup/sync and download all to external hard drive. screw the cloud...it's not really a cloud!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I agree -- I'm not quite sure why Google One is a thing. I think the main benefit is that you can share the Drive space among multiple people whereas buying storage directly on Drive is only for you. There are also some discount perks that come with Google One.

As for the memory issue -- do you mean that syncing your data from the phone to the cloud will automatically download that information to your computer's hard drive, if you have Backup & Sync installed on the computer? That can certainly be a problem if your computer's hard drive isn't very big, since all of the photos you sync to Google Photos will get synced to the computer. If you're concerned about your hard drive space, it may be better not to install Backup & Sync on the computer, and instead just manually upload files to Drive on the computer. The problem there is that it's not a true sync, so you'd have to keep track of which files are up to date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa