What Happens to an AMOLED Screen as it Ages?

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Some of the sub color pixels will start to die out. I forget which color supposedly has the shortest life. I think it's green or red. So then you will see black spots on the screen indicating dead pixels. Since each pixel actually emits light it's not the same as an LCD where you can have either the back light or pixels start to go out separately.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Some of the sub color pixels will start to die out. I forget which color supposedly has the shortest life. I think it's green or red. So then you will see black spots on the screen indicating dead pixels. Since each pixel actually emits light it's not the same as an LCD where you can have either the back light or pixels start to go out separately.

The colors degrade in this order :Blue, Green, and then Red.

You will not lose clarity but you may see ghosting or burn in depending on if they aged from static images. If they age uniformly you will see slight color shifts for instance whites will get warmer as blue shifts red will become more dominant.

As long as you don't leave static images and pixels age naturally you will barely notice any color shift and you most likely will not experience the aging as by that time you will most likely have moved on to a new phone.

I still have my original Galaxy S and the colors are still vibrant.

I know these things because I work on the team that Develops Phosphorescent Oled molecules.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The colors degrade in this order :Blue, Green, and then Red.
I just received a certified like new replacement GNex from Verizon and the differences in the 2 GNexi screens is remarkable. My original is less clear (meaning lines/edges are more fuzzy if that makes sense) and the whites are more yellowish but the blacks are blacker.

The CLNR is more clear, but the whites are pinkish and the greys are purplish, and this is worse when the screen brightness is lower. It is especially noticeable when the screen dims before it shuts off. At that point, the top 1/6 of the screen looks noticeably pinkish/reddish. I prefer the clarity of the CLNR, but the pinkish/purplish cast is bothersome and the less black blacks aren't as nice. Seems like maybe the blue subpixels are more degraded on the CLNR? I did an RTN on it (*#*#786#*#*) and it shows 3000+ hours of calls and under reconditioned status it says "No" so it seems like they didn't refurbish the phone.

What should I make of the CLNR's pinkish/purplish cast? Is it age or just a defect? Why is my original GNex screen less clear?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I just received a certified like new replacement GNex from Verizon and the differences in the 2 GNexi screens is remarkable. My original is less clear (meaning lines/edges are more fuzzy if that makes sense) and the whites are more yellowish but the blacks are blacker.

The CLNR is more clear, but the whites are pinkish and the greys are purplish, and this is worse when the screen brightness is lower. It is especially noticeable when the screen dims before it shuts off. At that point, the top 1/6 of the screen looks noticeably pinkish/reddish. I prefer the clarity of the CLNR, but the pinkish/purplish cast is bothersome and the less black blacks aren't as nice. Seems like maybe the blue subpixels are more degraded on the CLNR? I did an RTN on it (*#*#786#*#*) and it shows 3000+ hours of calls and under reconditioned status it says "No" so it seems like they didn't refurbish the phone.

What should I make of the CLNR's pinkish/purplish cast? Is it age or just a defect? Why is my original GNex screen less clear?

Pinkish would be a sign of dominant red meaning the blues have faded quite a bit. Black should not be effected because black is not made of a combinations of colors rather the pixels being shut off unless it isn't a true black in which case the lack of blue will effect it. Clarity shouldn't be that noticeable but this may be the reason the service was returned in the first place and used as a CLNR.

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Pinkish would be a sign of dominant red meaning the blues have faded quite a bit. Black should not be effected because black is not made of a combinations of colors rather the pixels being shut off unless it isn't a true black in which case the lack of blue will effect it.
It's more the dark grey's are less blackish and more purplish.

Clarity shouldn't be that noticeable but this may be the reason the service was returned in the first place and used as a CLNR.
It is my original GNex that is less clear. The CLNR has better clarity. Why would one AMOLED screen seem sharper/less fuzzy around the edges of lines than another?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
It's more the dark grey's are less blackish and more purplish.

It is my original GNex that is less clear. The CLNR has better clarity. Why would one AMOLED screen seem sharper/less fuzzy around the edges of lines than another?

This could have nothing to do with OLED and could be a manufacturing defect like a gap between the display and the glass.

mugurelu

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Aaaa... just discovered this ... I have a quick question...

I use daydream with photos from gallery (most of them have lots of blue) on my S4 while on dock... for pretty long time, in max brightness. I just love this function, it looks great on my desk!

Now I read this and I've started to get scared.. If I use this for prolonged times will this build up, like 5 straight hours is more damaging than 5 hours extended throught the day?
What would the life expectancy be for the new amoleds?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non