Connecting Chromecast to an A/V receiver

JTIII

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Here's a quick question for you AVR geniuses. Like Liquidretro, I have a Yamaha RX-V671. My Chromecast is plugged into one of the HDMI ports on the AVR, and it works perfectly. It switches inputs correctly and everything. However, if everything is turned off when I start my cast, the TV will turn on (which is awesome), but the AVR does not. The AVR is clearly seeing the HDMI "power on" signal from the Chromecast, and is sending that signal to the TV, but the AVR itself remains powered off. Is there something I'm missing, or is there no way to get the AVR to power on as well?

It's not a huge deal. I mean, I can certainly turn everything on first, and THEN start the cast, but it's bugging me, and I'd appreciate any help in figuring it out.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Here's a quick question for you AVR geniuses. Like Liquidretro, I have a Yamaha RX-V671. My Chromecast is plugged into one of the HDMI ports on the AVR, and it works perfectly. It switches inputs correctly and everything. However, if everything is turned off when I start my cast, the TV will turn on (which is awesome), but the AVR does not. The AVR is clearly seeing the HDMI "power on" signal from the Chromecast, and is sending that signal to the TV, but the AVR itself remains powered off. Is there something I'm missing, or is there no way to get the AVR to power on as well?

It's not a huge deal. I mean, I can certainly turn everything on first, and THEN start the cast, but it's bugging me, and I'd appreciate any help in figuring it out.

By chance do you have pass-through enabled. I know my AVR behaved this way once I enabled that feature. Now the AVR will change the source and just pass through to to the TV whatever is active.

I did have to enable it though. Maybe you need to turn off pass-through to get it to power on the reciever as well.

Patrick Saad

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Been through this thread and other forums but can't seem to find an answer to my video and audio issue with Chromecast.

I have a Sony Bravia (KDL-46EX723), Denon AVR-1912 Receiver.

Denon is outputting video that comes through all my devices such as my PS3 via an HDMI port to my Sony TV.
Denon is outputting audio that comes through all my devices such as my PS3 to my External Speakers (Paradigm 5.1 speakers)

I initially tried to plug my chromecast directly via one of the 6 HDMI ports on my Denon Receiver but for some UNKNOWN reason I get no audio or video on my Sony TV. It seems to recognize the device because I don't get the (NO INPUT) screen on my tv but its just black and nothing happens.

I then tried connecting the Chromecast directly to one of the HDMI ports on my Sony TV and managed to get Audio and Video on my Sony TV.

Then I wanted to get the audio sent to my receiver instead of my TV but I am unable to that working.

So I tried what some suggested and turned on the HDMI Control on both Sony TV and Denon Receiver.

On the Denon Receiver, it asked which STANDBY SOURCE do I want to use? So I chose the one that my Chromecast is setup on my Sony TV (HDMI 3), here's a screenshot of what the Denon offers as choices for HDMI Control:
sound system.png

I go back on my HDMI 3 Source, this time I'm able to get Video but NO Audio.

This being said,
Anyone has any idea how to get Chromecast's Audio and Video to function on either connecting it through the HDMI port from the Denon receiver directly?
Or by connecting it to the Sony TV directly using the Denon Receiver to output the audio via the external speakers?

Thanks
Patrick

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Been through this thread and other forums but can't seem to find an answer to my video and audio issue with Chromecast.

I have a Sony Bravia (KDL-46EX723), Denon AVR-1912 Receiver.

Denon is outputting video that comes through all my devices such as my PS3 via an HDMI port to my Sony TV.
Denon is outputting audio that comes through all my devices such as my PS3 to my External Speakers (Paradigm 5.1 speakers)

I initially tried to plug my chromecast directly via one of the 6 HDMI ports on my Denon Receiver but for some UNKNOWN reason I get no audio or video on my Sony TV. It seems to recognize the device because I don't get the (NO INPUT) screen on my tv but its just black and nothing happens.

I then tried connecting the Chromecast directly to one of the HDMI ports on my Sony TV and managed to get Audio and Video on my Sony TV.

Then I wanted to get the audio sent to my receiver instead of my TV but I am unable to that working.

So I tried what some suggested and turned on the HDMI Control on both Sony TV and Denon Receiver.

On the Denon Receiver, it asked which STANDBY SOURCE do I want to use? So I chose the one that my Chromecast is setup on my Sony TV (HDMI 3), here's a screenshot of what the Denon offers as choices for HDMI Control:
View attachment 83511

I go back on my HDMI 3 Source, this time I'm able to get Video but NO Audio.

This being said,
Anyone has any idea how to get Chromecast's Audio and Video to function on either connecting it through the HDMI port from the Denon receiver directly?
Or by connecting it to the Sony TV directly using the Denon Receiver to output the audio via the external speakers?

Thanks
Patrick

Not sure why you can't get the audio and video through the denon but if you are trying to use the HDMI audio return channel most TVs only support that on HDMI 1 or 2. Input three is just basic HDMI without cec or audio return.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

SR18

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Chromecast doesn't seem to work when connected to a Denon receiver (no audio).
Any advice?

Last edited:

SR18

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey... curious how you resolved audio issues when Chromecast is connected to a Denon receiver.
I still can't get the audio to work. The video works fine... but get stereo only through the TV speakers. Not the 5.1 external speakers connected through the denon receiver.
Appreciate any help with this.
Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a question, which may seem like a silly one. I too set up the chromecast with my receiver (a pretty old Denon 2307 CI). I've resolved the surround sound issues, which while are not ideal, but do the job good enough for me. My concern is this: does the chromecast ever turn off? Even after I shut off the receiver, the chromecast (which is plugged thorugh usb power) remains "ready to cast" on the chrome browser and every other app. How can I ensure this thing won't burn out before long without having to go and manually remove the usb which is much too inconvenient to do every time since it is buried in a highly inaccessible location?

Hey... curious how you resolved audio issues when Chromecast is connected to a Denon receiver.
I still can't get the audio to work. The video works fine... but get stereo only through the TV speakers. Not the 5.1 external speakers connected through the denon receiver.
Appreciate any help with this.
Thanks.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Finally moved my Chromecast from the TV's HDMI port to my Panasonic receivers's port. Works great and I get Dolby Digital output now, why didn't I do this sooner?

jastone72

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just reporting in here....

I have an Onkyo TX-NR609. With both Netflix and YouTube I get Dolby D 5.1 surround sound with 1080p video. It's not 100% of the time and I think it depends on how the movie or video was recorded. I watched a movie from the 70s on Netflix and it only had stereo, but most new movies are 5.1. YouTube is a crap shoot depending on how the person recording it did the recording.

jastone72

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have an Onkyo TX-NR609 also and just got my ChromeCast. Tried running it through one of the HDMI ports with it powered by AC plug and it won't show up on my TV. No video. Nothing. All my other HDMI components work just fine. I tried connecting the CC straight to the TV and it works just fine. Is there something I'm missing with the Onkyo AVR?

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I originally had it plugged into the front jack and it worked fine. I later moved it to the rear "game" HDMI input and added a Etekcity 4x1 HDMI inline pass through switcher. I added this just to get an analog output for music. I then route that analog output to the rear analog in for game. I don't play games so game =music for me. Now I have both digital audio and video for the main screen and room. The analog is available for zone two which is output to a 50 watt jamo MPA101 amp connected to a jamo ZI8 impedance matching connecting block. I have local volume controls in kitchen, bedroom, front porch and backyard. I leave zone two always on game so I can start music from any tablet, phone or computer in the house. With this setup I can play music even if the TV is in use and can change zone two the the main input for TV audio for a Superbowl party or smoke a cigar on the porch listening but watching TV through the window. With the HDMI switcher wired to the rear game input and placed on top of the Onkyo it makes it easy to remove the chromecast when traveling.

Edit: added name of HDMI switcher
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

kimii1

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I?ve been reading this thread and I cannot seem to sort out my problem..... I have Samsung UE40EH5000 tv and Sony STR-DG700 receiver. I have tried plugging chromecast into both tv and receiver but I am only getting sound out of the tv speakers. I have run HDMI from receiver to tv but no sound from receiver, I have also tried audio cables into the receiver from the tv but no sound. I have an ipod and satellite running through receiver working fine. Please help me x

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a Sony 1020av and can plug power cord into my USB port and it works just fine. Also gets 5.1 from Netflix just fine. Just wish I had a rear USB for power but the USB cable is long enough to reach the front USB port.

Posted via Android Central App

jaredcooker

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a question. I've set up my Chromecast through my receiver (Pioneer VSX-917V) and the video is working fine. However, the audio only plays through my TV speakers. It doesn't use my surround sound speakers. I'm using both HDMI and composite for my various devices (DVD, TiVo and TV are connect via Composite; XBOX and Chromecast connected via HDMI). For my XBOX I have a separate audio cable running between my XBOX and receiver so that it plays through my 5.1 speakers. How can I get audio from Chromecast to run through my speakers instead of my TV speakers?

tblatt

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a question. I've set up my Chromecast through my receiver (Pioneer VSX-917V) and the video is working fine. However, the audio only plays through my TV speakers. It doesn't use my surround sound speakers. I'm using both HDMI and composite for my various devices (DVD, TiVo and TV are connect via Composite; XBOX and Chromecast connected via HDMI). For my XBOX I have a separate audio cable running between my XBOX and receiver so that it plays through my 5.1 speakers. How can I get audio from Chromecast to run through my speakers instead of my TV speakers?

I have the same receiver and haven't been able to get even video to work through ChromeCast. Can you tell me how you got that far?

seribralcrow

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a Yamaha HTR-3063. When I try to stream Pandora I only have audio through the center channel. Is anyone else having this issue? Now that Plex is supported, I would really like to ditch my media PC in favor of a more light weight solution. Chromecast leaves a lot to be desired at the moment. I would love to get this working. Any ideas?

jaredcooker

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Here's what I did to get the video working. I plugged the Chromecast into one of the 2 available HDMI inputs on the back of my VSX-917V. I had already programmed that HDMI input to use "DVR" input source on my receiver (see p.57 in the manual for details: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p...410585285VSX917VOperatingInstructions0206.pdf). Then I have an HDMI cable connected to the HDMI Out on the receiver, and to the HDMI IN on my TV. I set my TV input to HDMI 1 and then the Chromecast picture shows up.

Another tip: I was having a hard time getting the Chromecast set up correctly. It couldn't find the chromecast on my wireless network. I realized that every time I unplugged the power on my Chromecast it was assigned a new ID (e.g. Chromecast1234). I had to exit the install on my PC and start over so that the ID matched what was shown on my TV.

Good luck!

seribralcrow

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a Yamaha HTR-3063. When I try to stream Pandora I only have audio through the center channel. Is anyone else having this issue? Now that Plex is supported, I would really like to ditch my media PC in favor of a more light weight solution. Chromecast leaves a lot to be desired at the moment. I would love to get this working. Any ideas?

I spent more time looking at this. I hate asking questions that I can figure out myself. I hope this can help someone else. What I found out is that the music was in fact using all channels, but the primary sound was coming from the center channel. This makes sense for my specific setup because I have the center channel turned up because voices tend to be very soft in comparison to other sounds when playing movies. I changed the encoding from pass through for DD+ to being encoded by the receiver. Sound now comes through for audio just fine. Its annoying that I have to switch the audio when I want to listen to music.

jaredcooker

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Solved my own problem. Here's how. I plugged the Chromecast into one of the HDMI IN on my receiver. I have an HDMI OUT from the receiver to my TV. Then I plugged in an optical digital audio cable between my TV and one of the optical audio IN ports on my receiver. I had to program the receiver so that when I switch to "DVR" channel it uses HDMI 1 and optical audio 1. Presto. Full surround sound for Netflix, Plex, Google Music, etc.

Safaex

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Hey all!

I have a weird problem with my chromecast. It is attached to HDMI 2 on my Pioneer VSX LX52 receiver that has a few years on its' neck. Then connected to a slightly older Samsung UEB7070. It works great sound and picture... well, almost. For some reason when I use the chromecast some options becomes greyed out on my samsung, more specific; sharpness, color, motion plus, hdmi black and a few others... as soon as I turn chromecast off, they appear again, as if the signal is not quite compatible with the tv. This was not the case on my old HTPC where I could set everything to my hearts content. I have trashed around in the reciever for some setting that might have to be switched but no luck yet. Anybody have an idea what could be done?

Best regards!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non