The straws that broke the camel's back... Why the Nexus 4 isn't for me

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Let me preface this post by saying, I am not a fanboy of any platform. I have owned Android phones, including the Galaxy Nexus, iPhones, and Windows Phones. In my opinion, none of these platforms are perfect. They all have strengths and they all have weaknesses.

So why am I not selling my iPhone 5, with its admittedly somewhat stale operating system, and picking up a Nexus 4? It was a tough decision, but there are two things about the Nexus 4 that ultimately killed it for me. No, the lack of LTE was not the deal breaker, but had it been there, I might could have overlooked these two issues.

1) The exclusion of the stock AOSP browser. Chrome is a great browser, don't get me wrong, but there are some things about it that irk me. Smooth and responsive scrolling is extremely important to me, and in that respect, the AOSP browser is king. Even on the fastest devices, Chrome sometimes chokes when trying to scroll around complicated web pages, especially if they're still loading. The placement of the controls also bothers me. On large devices like the Nexus 4, it's extremely difficult to reach the address bar and tab button with one hand. The AOSP browser's quick controls allowed me to swipe in from the right edge of the screen with my thumb to access these controls, making single handed browsing a breeze. Lastly, the persistence of the address bar. Why, oh why, can't it disappear, at least in landscape mode? Even the iPhone's browser allows the full screen to display content in landscape mode.

I know what you're thinking, but just stop it. I used to love developing for my Android phones and flashing custom ROMs like CyanogenMod, but now that I have a full-time software engineering job and a fianc?e, I don't have the time or desire to flash ROMs and deal with all of the little issues that go along with it. I just want a phone that works the way I want it to out of the box.

2) The lack of proper group texting support. Both iOS and Windows Phone have the ability to keep replies to group texts in a single thread by using MMS, so why can't Android do this? When I send a group text to my friends, I want their replies to go to everyone involved in the group text and I want those replies to show up in a single thread on my phone. There's nothing worse than being involved in a group text conversation with a bunch of iOS and Windows Phone using friends and trying to piece together the conversation from a bunch of individual threads. If you have a lot of friends with iPhones and Windows Phones and they like to group text, you know how frustrating it is. There are a couple third party messaging apps, namely Go SMS and Handcent SMS, that support group texts, but quite frankly, they're terrible. They make the entire texting experience bad instead of just the group texting experience. There are other cross-platform apps designed specifically for group texting, but I can't expect all of my friends to use these apps just for my convenience.

For many of you, these issues are non-issues. I get that and I respect your opinions, but for me, they were the straws that broke the camel's back. I'll be watching when the next versions of Android and Chrome come about, but until then, may the Nexus be with you and not with me.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Those are good points, and it's wonderful there is a large market so that you can get what you need!

Phones are supposed to make our lives easier, after all, and if the one you have isn't doing that... well, no reason to have that phone!

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Can't you just install a different browser and a different messaging app to accomplish what you want? I think ChompSMS supports group messaging if i'm not mistaken.

Oh I should have kept reading, you said you didn't like the 3rd party apps. OK then.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
A couple of well-reasoned and well-articulated points. I use Firefox as my daily driver for browsers, and have Dolphin, Chrome, Opera Mobile, and Opera Mini installed. Not because I actually NEED all of those browsers - Firefox has always gotten the job done - but I like having them on tap and Firefox works fine on both my HTC Thunderbolt and my Nexus 7.

As to group messaging, I've always just used email for such things, but I can see where it might be a handy tool if you're a heavy SMS user.

There are a lot of things not to like about the Nexus 4, frankly. No SD. No LTE. Non-removable battery.

But I'd give that all up gladly if it meant I got updates somewhat faster than the HTC Thunderbolt hanging on my belt, which despite its fairly recent status as a Verizon Flagship phone is still running Gingerbread.

But, hey, that's why so many people make phones. Because we all have our priorities.

I do hope they improve the group SMS messaging thing, though. That would be nice to have, and I'd think carriers would be all over wanting that because it gets people hooked on using lots of SMS.

KenDavidson

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
You express some good points that are very valid concerns. I will be moving from an iOS platform back to the Android platform with the release of the N4. There are many points where my iPhone and iOS 6 is superior in areas to the Android OS nd Jellybean but likewise there are some great components of Jellybean 4.1.1 or the newer 4.2 release that beat out iOS 6.

I did a comparitive breakdown on whay I like and use in my N7 on Jellybean and what I like and use on iOS 6 and in this round I have decided there are more positive reasons to switch to the N4 at this point than there are positive reasons to stay with my current iPhone. But with the competitive nature of the smartphone industry and new OS clients being released and developed that could always change.

The biggest piece I will regret loosing is the Find My iPhone App, my wife will keep her iPhone and we use this app since she works on the road and it is a nice security app to always have her location tracked. Hopefully with some research we can find a cross platform app that will allow us to still do this with the internal GPS in the devices.

Great post, I have wanted to be able to combine the best features of several devices for a long time to come up with the ultimate phone for me.

map1978

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
You express some good points that are very valid concerns. I will be moving from an iOS platform back to the Android platform with the release of the N4. There are many points where my iPhone and iOS 6 is superior in areas to the Android OS nd Jellybean but likewise there are some great components of Jellybean 4.1.1 or the newer 4.2 release that beat out iOS 6.

I did a comparitive breakdown on whay I like and use in my N7 on Jellybean and what I like and use on iOS 6 and in this round I have decided there are more positive reasons to switch to the N4 at this point than there are positive reasons to stay with my current iPhone. But with the competitive nature of the smartphone industry and new OS clients being released and developed that could always change.

The biggest piece I will regret loosing is the Find My iPhone App, my wife will keep her iPhone and we use this app since she works on the road and it is a nice security app to always have her location tracked. Hopefully with some research we can find a cross platform app that will allow us to still do this with the internal GPS in the devices.

Great post, I have wanted to be able to combine the best features of several devices for a long time to come up with the ultimate phone for me.

What are your more positive reasons from your breakdown? I'm moving on from iOS to Android for the first time since the HTC Hero. Also I use a Macbook Air as my main comp.

Only thing I can see myself missing is Photostream. Snapping photos on my phone and then automatically on my laptop is priceless for me.

However, I can see myself using Google+ more now too.

bit Jockey

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The original poster brings up a question for me. How do I load the AOSP browser on my Nexus 4? Does it have to be rooted or have an unlocked bootloader to get the previous stock browser? It would be fine to keep Chrome around.

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Chrome does kick and stutter a good bit, especially (in my experience on the Nexus 7) but you can always sideload the AOSP browser.

KenDavidson

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
As I am in the office now this will be my short list of positives in my reasons to move from iOS 6 to N4

I have a Macbook Pro that has been my primary computer for many years. In the last year I have begun using my ChromeBook and N7 more and more to the point that I rarely log onto my MacBook.

POSIVE REASONS TO SWITCH

Easier integration to google apps and cloud based storage. - I presently use Google Drive and other Google apps for storage of most my data. I will be buying the 8 GB version as with the ability to use cloud based storage I only utilize 3.88 GB of my N7 storage including my Sygic GPS maps.

Google Now - I have used this in Jellybean more than anything. With it's predictive analysis it has really been providing me with what I need at exactly the right moment.

Ability to unlock the bootloader, root the device and flash ROM's of my choosing.

Support of NFC protocol - I use Google Wallet and it will be nice to not have to carry my N7 into a store but to simply pull out the smaller profiled N4 for payment use.

Unlocked - I can purchase a phone that does not tie me into a long two year contract with a providor.

Google Play and other App sources. - I have never liked Apple's tight hold and control on what apps I can purchase and use on a device I own and paid for. (From a philosphical viewpoint) I have always Jailbroke my phones back to the original iPhone I owned but this has been a source of frustration for a long time. I am a huge proponent of open source technology.

Pure Google - As with my N7 this will be a pure Google device which means that unlike my first Android device that relyed upon my carrier for updates that never came I will be getting updates directly from Google and they will happen fast.

This is a small representation of some of the positive reasons for me to switch, I am at work so cannot take the time to exress all areas and in full detail here now. Hope this helps.

bdavis89

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
2) The lack of proper group texting support. Both iOS and Windows Phone have the ability to keep replies to group texts in a single thread by using MMS, so why can't Android do this? When I send a group text to my friends, I want their replies to go to everyone involved in the group text and I want those replies to show up in a single thread on my phone. There's nothing worse than being involved in a group text conversation with a bunch of iOS and Windows Phone using friends and trying to piece together the conversation from a bunch of individual threads. If you have a lot of friends with iPhones and Windows Phones and they like to group text, you know how frustrating it is. There are a couple third party messaging apps, namely Go SMS and Handcent SMS, that support group texts, but quite frankly, they're terrible. They make the entire texting experience bad instead of just the group texting experience. There are other cross-platform apps designed specifically for group texting, but I can't expect all of my friends to use these apps just for my convenience.

Agree with this X 1000000000!!! I, however, decided not to let me friends' phones dictate what phone I have, so I'll live with it and hope they add it, as it is a software capability. I completely understand it though! I had to think it over for several days, before I decided "No, I'm going to get the phone I want."

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I didn't bother to do all that reading. All I'll say is that's one more Nexus 4 in inventory that will enable me to buy it easier. OP, your loss is my gain.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
What are your more positive reasons from your breakdown? I'm moving on from iOS to Android for the first time since the HTC Hero. Also I use a Macbook Air as my main comp.

Only thing I can see myself missing is Photostream. Snapping photos on my phone and then automatically on my laptop is priceless for me.

However, I can see myself using Google+ more now too.

Dropbox is your friend lol

Sent from my galaxy nexus running jelly bean!

xKrNMBoYx

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Everyone has a right to their own opinion. But what is the need for you to explain why the Nexus isnt for you?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

ecpolo521

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Agree with this X 1000000000!!! I, however, decided not to let me friends' phones dictate what phone I have, so I'll live with it and hope they add it, as it is a software capability. I completely understand it though! I had to think it over for several days, before I decided "No, I'm going to get the phone I want."

I was hesitant to switch back to Android b/c I felt out of the loop on group MMS. I had a Fascinate before. But my friend has Handcent and is able to reply and see all our texts in a group on his GSIII. I even played around with it to make sure it was true. I'm convinced so getting my Nexus 4 tomorrow.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Everyone has a right to their own opinion. But what is the need for you to explain why the Nexus isnt for you?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

I voiced my opinions because I like Android and want it to improve. If enough people complain about a particular issue, large companies do take notice and respond. Also, I wasn't just rehashing what others have already pointed out. I was bringing to light two issues that haven't been discussed much, if at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress