Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

patstock11

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Here is where I stand. I had a OneX on LTE. I popped my Sim in my nexus 4 and applied the necessary APN. I then called at&t and had my account changed from lte. My nexus 4 showed up in his comp right away and he knew lte wasn't compatible. So he supposedly changed it to the necessary data plan. I then changed my APN from pta to phone. I have data, MMS, voice. Everything. Except I'm only seeing anywhere from 1-5mbps with a high of 7 once.

I went online under my account and checked my features. The guy applied me to "data pro 3gb". It says nothing about 4g anywhere. So I was under the assumption I had to have it changed to a 4g hspa+ compatible plan. I chatted with a rep online a few minutes ago and I was told that there is absolutely no difference in the plans, they r universal, the only reason for variations in the name of the plan is for billing purposes. I guess at this point, I'm kind of just hoping everything is indeed correct I just don't have good hspa+ in my area. But I do find it strange BC I had lte on my Onex. Is it possible an area has lte and NOT hspa+ ? Would I see a high of 5 or 7 Mbps and an average of 2-3mbps on normal hspa?

Sound right to anyone. ?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Here is what I am avg using the same APN I used my nano Sim from the iPhone 5 did not have to involve att

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360086883303.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360086883303.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 46

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm having a little problem and I'm guessing it could be an APN setting?

Especially at my home I will notice my bars toggle between the "H" over them and just the bars. Well I've found out I need that H because otherwise mobile data is not there. Is there something in my settings I can tweak? I know HSPA+ is excellent in my entire area because I used it on my old GS2.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Here is where I stand. I had a OneX on LTE. I popped my Sim in my nexus 4 and applied the necessary APN. I then called at&t and had my account changed from lte. My nexus 4 showed up in his comp right away and he knew lte wasn't compatible. So he supposedly changed it to the necessary data plan. I then changed my APN from pta to phone. I have data, MMS, voice. Everything. Except I'm only seeing anywhere from 1-5mbps with a high of 7 once.

I went online under my account and checked my features. The guy applied me to "data pro 3gb". It says nothing about 4g anywhere. So I was under the assumption I had to have it changed to a 4g hspa+ compatible plan. I chatted with a rep online a few minutes ago and I was told that there is absolutely no difference in the plans, they r universal, the only reason for variations in the name of the plan is for billing purposes. I guess at this point, I'm kind of just hoping everything is indeed correct I just don't have good hspa+ in my area. But I do find it strange BC I had lte on my Onex. Is it possible an area has lte and NOT hspa+ ? Would I see a high of 5 or 7 Mbps and an average of 2-3mbps on normal hspa?

Sound right to anyone. ?

Yeah that all sounds right. I didn't call AT&T to change anything because I already have the "Data Pro 3Gb for Smartphone 4G LTE"

rotusrotus

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
The process at AT&T was extremely easy for me as well. Would you mind sharing which APN you're using?

Created a new APN

Name - att hspa+
APN - phone
Proxy - Not set
Port - Not set
Username - Not set
Password - Not set
Server - Not set
MMSC - http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy - proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS Port - 80
MCC - 310
MNC - 410
Authentication Type - Not set
APN Type - default, supl, mms,hipri
APN Protocol - IPv4
APN Roaming Protocol - IPv4
Bearer - unspecified

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Created a new APN

Name - att hspa+
APN - phone
Proxy - Not set
Port - Not set
Username - Not set
Password - Not set
Server - Not set
MMSC - http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy - proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS Port - 80
MCC - 310
MNC - 410
Authentication Type - Not set
APN Type - default, supl, mms,hipri
APN Protocol - IPv4
APN Roaming Protocol - IPv4
Bearer - unspecified

Hmm this one doesn't look that much different than the one posted a few pages ago that I quoted. Only difference I see is the APN Protocol set to IPv4 only and not IPv4/IPv6. What does that do?

By the way I changed my APN to phone from PTA and now I get the "H" next to my bars all the time, getting rid of the problem. I'm still only getting 1-3 mbps down. Even though those numbers are low, my web browsing speeds feels just as fast as it was on my HSPA+ on my Galaxy S2.

pugnuttt

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I went to the AT&T store, handed it to the guy, he cut it, handed it back. That's it. Nothing special required.
REALLY! I went to T-mobile and they swapped my reg sim for a micro sim I didn't have to cut anything myself. Not only that they put it in and checked to make sure the phone was working properly. ATT is tough.

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Ahh ha!! After doing a lot of Google searching, I found an old article from back in December.

Go to this link: How to: AT&T LTE APN Settings for Nexus 4 to get 4G Speed - DonAndroid

Scroll to the bottom past all the Steps. Oh and I am using the APN settings listed in "Step 3" of that link. Anyway right below that where it says Optional Do those 3 steps and you will see significant speed increases! After selecting the preferred network option type ?LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)? my download speeds jumped a lot! Oh and I tried the "LTE only", doesn't work, you won't get any data, the bars will be empty.

Scorpius41

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
So just hoping to see if someone would want to help provide some clarity to my situation. I haven't seen in any posts where someone was upgrading from an iphone 3gs to a Nexus 4. That's what I am doing (probably does not change the scenario much). I am grandfathered at&t unlimited plan so I want to be as cautious as possible and some posts on this thread have frightened me a bit. So is the general consensus to obtain and give them a IMEI from an LTE/4g phone that I do not own and just put in the new mini sim in and then attempt to change some settings from there and not tell them about the change of phone? I read previously, supposedly ATT is doing something to resolve Nexus 4 IMEI's that they have received. I just got my shipping notification and my 3gs is absolutely shot so I am looking forward to jumping to Android and hopefully a somewhat seamless transition, while attempting to obtain my unlimited at&t plan. Thanks in advance.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
AT&T - Ontario California

I dont know why its so slow. I've tried every APN I can find. If I use the default APN speed test only shows ping but download and upload dont work.

Anybody got any advice? I had to leave sprint to get the Nexus 4. I already tried T-Mo and even though the website says they have great coverage in my area all I got was edge. Strange thing is I tried straight talk with an att sim and was regularly getting 6 to 8mb down. Now that I have the real att and not straight talk I'm getting much slower speeds.

Screenshot_2013-02-05-20-43-36_zps82b8979f.png

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Ahh ha!! After doing a lot of Google searching, I found an old article from back in December.

Go to this link: How to: AT&T LTE APN Settings for Nexus 4 to get 4G Speed - DonAndroid

Scroll to the bottom past all the Steps. Oh and I am using the APN settings listed in "Step 3" of that link. Anyway right below that where it says Optional Do those 3 steps and you will see significant speed increases! After selecting the preferred network option type ?LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL)? my download speeds jumped a lot! Oh and I tried the "LTE only", doesn't work, you won't get any data, the bars will be empty.

Yes I'm quoting myself. Lol. I've still had the old problem of the "H" dropping next to my bars. That means no data only voice. So I went into my APN settings and changed both APN protocols to IPv4 only and so far that has fixed it. Not sure what IPv4 and IPv6 are and how they act but getting rid of IPv6 did the trick so far.

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes I'm quoting myself. Lol. I've still had the old problem of the "H" dropping next to my bars. That means no data only voice. So I went into my APN settings and changed both APN protocols to IPv4 only and so far that has fixed it. Not sure what IPv4 and IPv6 are and how they act but getting rid of IPv6 did the trick so far.

http://mashable.com/2011/02/03/ipv4-ipv6-guide/

Here is a link describing ipv4 and ipv6

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site

I dont know why its so slow. I've tried every APN I can find. If I use the default APN speed test only shows ping but download and upload dont work.

Anybody got any advice? I had to leave sprint to get the Nexus 4. I already tried T-Mo and even though the website says they have great coverage in my area all I got was edge. Strange thing is I tried straight talk with an att sim and was regularly getting 6 to 8mb down. Now that I have the real att and not straight talk I'm getting much slower speeds.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p265/jimmiekain/Screenshot_2013-02-05-20-43-36_zps82b8979f.png

With the exception of one of your speed tests, those speeds are normal from my experience.

While I have peeked @ 11Mbps a few times I usually am in the 2-4Mbps range.

Dan

tbonepat11

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I just went from an At&t Note to a Nexus 4. I went in to the store, the guy cut the sim (said a new one is $30), we popped it in and rebooted. Took him 2 tries to get the system to take the IMEI but it did and I am getting hspa+. I was expecting a bigger problem but everything seems to be working fine.

Both guys were iPhone guys and didn't really know about the Nexus 4. After messing with it for a little bit they both seemed really impressed with it.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Here are my setting in came from the iPhone with lte did not have to have my plan changed and u get excellent down speeds avg 7-9 mb up. These are the APN that I use and yes I did use the Sim adapter since the iphone5 has s nano Sim.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360384306456.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360384306456.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 64
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360384317107.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360384317107.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 61
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360384325794.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360384325794.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 61

anon(5677354)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, good thread. I'm expecting my N4 to arrive tomorrow. I'm currently using an iPhone 5 on an (grandfathered) unlimited LTE data plan. I'd prefer to keep it, but not at the expense of decent data speeds.

I called my local AT&T retailer and the guy I talked to (who claims he's done a handful of these transactions) said if I want to keep my unlimited data, I need to stay on the LTE iPhone data plan I'm currently on, but that it's not a problem, and as long as I change some APN settings it works fine on the N4. It seems a few posters in this thread have had this same experience. Just thought I'd chime in. I will report back and let you know if it works, and if so, I'll post my speedtest results.

anon(5677354)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
OK, here's what happened to me.

Stopped at AT&T to pick up a MicroSIM on my way home. They asked if I wanted them to activate it then and I said no. I'd rather use the online chat function. The guy I got (Gerald something) was really nice and it seemed like he's done this a few times. He got me set up and told me to turn the phone on and see if data worked. It did.

Looks like he switched me to "Data Unlimited for Smartphone Personal" (I had iPhone 5 LTE Unlimited before) and he said I would be able to get HSPA+ 4g. Is this true?

I do indeed see HSPA+ 15 when I'm using data.

MMS confirmed as working.

Pulling 3-5 down, 1.5 up.

One note, when I had both APN's saved, I was dropping service completely and wasn't even getting 1mb down. When I deleted the default APN completely, it more than tripled.

Last edited:

Jun Watanabe

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
***quote***

***end quote***

Hi,

Claremont, CA - ATT here. I get about the same speeds as you (only sometimes I can get 6Mbps down, but that is rare). I took the sim card out of my iphone 4 (not S) whose 2 year contract was up. When I called to get voicemail fixed (from visual vm to normal vm so that I can use GV for vm), they switched me from unlimited iphone data (grandfathered) to unlimited smartphone data (generic, non-iphone data). I tried the pta APN, and could not get data... only the phone APN worked. I checked to see if the data was 4g capable, and no, it wasn't. I called att and got the data enabled for 4g without any hiccups (did not ask me for imei). I just told them I have an android with LTE.

I still have no luck with the pta APN. I've been hunting for a cure, and I'm beginning to think that my sim card might not be 4g capable. Some people are saying that some old sim cards are not provisioned for 4g or lte for that matter. Can anyone comment on this? I just looked at my sim card, and there is no 4g or 3g written on either face. It is the original sim card i got with my iphone 4 from over 2 years ago.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
OK, here's what happened to me.

Stopped at AT&T to pick up a MicroSIM on my way home. They asked if I wanted them to activate it then and I said no. I'd rather use the online chat function. The guy I got (Gerald something) was really nice and it seemed like he's done this a few times. He got me set up and told me to turn the phone on and see if data worked. It did.

Looks like he switched me to "Data Unlimited for Smartphone Personal" (I had iPhone 5 LTE Unlimited before) and he said I would be able to get HSPA+ 4g. Is this true?

I do indeed see HSPA+ 15 when I'm using data.

MMS confirmed as working.

Pulling 3-5 down, 1.5 up.

One note, when I had both APN's saved, I was dropping service completely and wasn't even getting 1mb down. When I deleted the default APN completely, it more than tripled.

I used the APN settings cash it out posted. I just popped my iPhone 5 sim, with adapter, into the n4 and get 5-7 down

Kennique Reynolds

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi this is what i have figured out. It all depends on the plan you have on your Service.

If you have and LTE plan, AT&T will need to have an LTE IMEI for the service from an LTE phone, then you will need to use the LTE APN. which is the PTA - APN. you can easily find this online.

If you are coming from an HSPA+ plans the same applies. HSPA+ plan - HSPA+ IMEI - use HSPA+ APN. Which is the phone APN.

Either method will work it all depends on your service plan. If anyone of these three things do not match you will have inconsistent service.

Hope this helps