LTE or 3g? no data

bogellenong

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi I just recently purchased a nexus 5. Its an awesome device. My carrier is virgin mobile. I just have a small problem. My device network is set to LTE by default. However I dont have data, my data type is pay as you go but I choose to just use wifi because wifi is available everywhere in my area. Going to the main issue, I just noticed this couple days after purchasing this phone that my signal seems very weak, 1-2 bars out of 4. Today, I kinda mess around with it and noticed that when I changed my network to 3g, it goes 3 or full bar at all time. So I am just wondering, considering that I don't use data, should I just put it in 3g instead? and whats the reason behind this low signal in LTE mode? Also, is there any reason for me to keep in LTE even with low signal, such as better call quality (i doubt it). Thank you

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi I just recently purchased a nexus 5. Its an awesome device. My carrier is virgin mobile. I just have a small problem. My device network is set to LTE by default. However I dont have data, my data type is pay as you go but I choose to just use wifi because wifi is available everywhere in my area. Going to the main issue, I just noticed this couple days after purchasing this phone that my signal seems very weak, 1-2 bars out of 4. Today, I kinda mess around with it and noticed that when I changed my network to 3g, it goes 3 or full bar at all time. So I am just wondering, considering that I don't use data, should I just put it in 3g instead? and whats the reason behind this low signal in LTE mode? Also, is there any reason for me to keep in LTE even with low signal, such as better call quality (i doubt it). Thank you
The reason behind low signal on LTE is your carrier's network. They either have poor building penetration or just lack coverage wherever you live. If you're not using data, definitely stick to 3G. It's better for your battery life because the phone isn't struggling to hold a signal.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
How were you able to get your Nexus 5 on Virgin Mobile? Apparently they do not have a BYOD program. Let us know if this policy has changed.

Posted via Android Central App

bogellenong

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
The reason behind low signal on LTE is your carrier's network. They either have poor building penetration or just lack coverage wherever you live. If you're not using data, definitely stick to 3G. It's better for your battery life because the phone isn't struggling to hold a signal.
thank you, i will stick with 3g then, i guess virgin mobile has bad lte in canada. Well the signal isnt that strong either even outside

- - - Updated - - -

whats a byod probgram? I did a contract, my plan ended already and i was able to upgrade and so I did

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
thank you, i will stick with 3g then, i guess virgin mobile has bad lte in canada. Well the signal isnt that strong either even outside

- - - Updated - - -

whats a byod probgram? I did a contract, my plan ended already and i was able to upgrade and so I did
It means bring your own device. Some carriers don't allow any phones that aren't approved for their network. How did you get your N5 connected to Virgin?