Should I do a factory reset after 5.0 OTA update?

mkhilario

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Seems like it might be a good idea. I will definitely do it with my 2012 N7, but I am wondering if it is worth the effort to do it with my N5.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It does seem like a good idea, and some advice about that from Google would be welcome. I've wiped the Cache Partition a couple of times recently, partly in anticipation of L, and there are those who say that doing that after a system update is a good idea, but I don't actually know these things as facts.
When my Lumia was updated from WP8 to WP8.1, there was a small update first, which as I understand it prepared devices for the full update.
Anything that users can do to smooth the way for L would be good to know.

Edit moments later: I've just seen this thread:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/463014-ota-lollipop-update-vanished.html

Edit, hours later: Sorry, I thought you meant before update, not after. Doh.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
yes with every Letter OS Update i always do a full hard reset back to factory fresh state and then manually resync and reinstall everything. i like to start fresh, erase any residual files/data from the old OS, etc. it's a PIA but the performance gain is worth it IMO.

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Can't recall, is there a way to have everything automatically reinstalled (apps, etc)? I'm tempted as I feel 5.0 did cause a bit of a performance hit on my N5, and not sure if flashing it back to default and reinstalling will help.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
To offer my two cents as someone who flashed the OTA then decided to flash the entire factory image for 5.0. Yes, I would factory reset after the update (keyword being after). Once you have Lollipop on your phone, that's your OS, you won't go back to KitKat. When you update, let the phone spend a little time backing up (there is an improved backup in Lollipop I'll get to later). On the chance there are a couple of games or other apps you want to save the data for, I use a tool like Helium to backup without root.

Once you reset your phone and login like you normally do, Lollipop will now restore your apps and home screen setup that you had before the factory reset (only Play Store apps, not any Amazon App store ones). This saved me a ton of time when I flashed the factory image last night as all I had to do was let it run and it put everything back where it was. I restored the app data for a few apps I wanted and viola, my phone is running faster and more battery efficient than right after the OTA.

Side note (I always have these in my posts because I suck at staying on topic): I mentioned Helium before. I used this to back up my Textra app data and when I restored the data I noticed my entire SMS and MMS history came with it. This made me VERY happy as backing up SMS and MMS in KitKat was quite the tedious process (and I had mixed results at that).

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Just did a factory reset. Google backup is the most useless dribble ever. It restored my apps and the folders it was in but every app I had to log into and configure again like I was launching it for the first time which wasted me over 2 hours. When I was using iOS I many times did a factory reset on my iPod Touch and iCloud backup restored my apps and my data like I was using the device before. The only thing of course I know I have to copy over is my music and photos.

I do notice that I have over a GB of extra storage and my apps which were over 3GB in size are now around about 2GB of size.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
To offer my two cents as someone who flashed the OTA then decided to flash the entire factory image for 5.0. Yes, I would factory reset after the update (keyword being after). Once you have Lollipop on your phone, that's your OS, you won't go back to KitKat. When you update, let the phone spend a little time backing up (there is an improved backup in Lollipop I'll get to later). On the chance there are a couple of games or other apps you want to save the data for, I use a tool like Helium to backup without root.

Once you reset your phone and login like you normally do, Lollipop will now restore your apps and home screen setup that you had before the factory reset (only Play Store apps, not any Amazon App store ones). This saved me a ton of time when I flashed the factory image last night as all I had to do was let it run and it put everything back where it was. I restored the app data for a few apps I wanted and viola, my phone is running faster and more battery efficient than right after the OTA.

Side note (I always have these in my posts because I suck at staying on topic): I mentioned Helium before. I used this to back up my Textra app data and when I restored the data I noticed my entire SMS and MMS history came with it. This made me VERY happy as backing up SMS and MMS in KitKat was quite the tedious process (and I had mixed results at that).

is all App Data/Settings for each App backed up and restored with Lollipop?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Just did a factory reset. Google backup is the most useless dribble ever. It restored my apps and the folders it was in but every app I had to log into and configure again like I was launching it for the first time which wasted me over 2 hours. When I was using iOS I many times did a factory reset on my iPod Touch and iCloud backup restored my apps and my data like I was using the device before. The only thing of course I know I have to copy over is my music and photos.

I do notice that I have over a GB of extra storage and my apps which were over 3GB in size are now around about 2GB of size.

yes but was this restore from KitKat to Lollipop OR Lollipop to Lollipop? it's rumored that Lollipop to Lollipop is a more robust backup/restore.

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I did it with my Nexus 7 after the OTA. I was having rebooting issues before the update and wanted to deal with them. Plus the Nexus was lagging. The difference was amazing. The only downside was that I lost my Kii keyboard which is no longer available in the Google play store. Resetting was a breeze under lollipop, much easier than before. But you will have to redo your app settings.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

You have extra space because it didn't install ALL of your apps.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
That doesn't match with what I've seen. Originally, I'd manually encrypted my Nexus 5 under Kit Kat. A few days back, I side-loaded the Google factory image for Lollipop (5.0 (LRX21O)):

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

using a minimal ADB and Fastboot method. That side-loaded image was NOT encrypted out-of-the-box. I had to manually encrypt the phone after installation. A day or so later, though, I wanted to root the phone and the tool I was using:

[Toolkit] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.9.8 [U… | Nexus 7 | XDA Forums

couldn't handle the encrypted phone. So, I used that tool to re-install a factory image and this time I did a factory reset (per the tool's recommendation). Again, the phone was not encrypted after that was done. Once I set everything up, I manually encrypted the phone.

mkhilario

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Ok, that was really freaky. I did the factory restore from the settings and the phone was stuck on erasing for 20 mins then I got the dead android guy in recovery mode on screen. I selected reboot now and more of the erasing guy for almost 45 mins more then presto, it worked. It can be scary while the phone is stuck for an eternity on erasing but just wait it out.

After, Lollipop has a new set up assistant after skipping the NFC tap and go option which will allow you to restore all playstore apps and homescreen automatically.

If the device menus are frozen or unresponsive, you can master reset using hardware keys. To perform a master reset, follow these steps:

Back up all data on the internal memory. See: Back up & restore.
Back up all necessary data that is on the internal memory.
Turn off the device.
Press and hold the Volume Up and the Volume Down and Power keys at the same time for about 10 seconds.
An image of an Android lying on its back will appear.
Press the Volume Down key twice until "Recovery mode" appears on the screen.
Press the Power key to restart in "Recovery mode."
An image of an Android with a red triangle will appear.
While holding down Power, tap Volume Up.
The Android System Recovery screen will appear. Release all keys.
Use the Volume keys to scroll to wipe data/factory reset and press the Power key to select.
Use the Volume keys to scroll down to Yes - erase all user data and press the Power key to select.
Use the Volume keys to scroll down to reboot system now and press the Power key to select.
The phone will restart.

Last edited: