nexus 6 back cover unstuck

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
You've got to be kidding me??!! What happened to all the reports of "great build quality"? Between this, Ambient Display not working consistently, Trusted Devices/Places not working reliably, and still having people with random reboots and/or black screens, I am wondering why I still want this phone. DH is an iPhone all the way guy, and I'm having a hard time explaining to him why I want this phone----mostly because I'm starting to doubt it myself. Yet I cannot see myself ever being happy with an iPhone. So what's left? Samsung? I'm serious---I'm on the verge of going to AT&T and buying the N6, but there seems to have been not much movement toward resolving these issues so I hate to commit to the phone only to find it remains problematic. OTOH, if I change course and go to the Note 4, which I'm sure I would like in many ways, I will be so sorry I didn't stick it out with the N6 if they address all these issues successfully. Customers like me really need Google to step up and admit there are problems, what those problems are, and assure us that they were working on those issues specifically. Otherwise, we're just supposed to believe that they know and will address them ASAP? Is it asking too much that they get a phone and its OS working out of the box before they move on to the next device and OS?

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
You've got to be kidding me??!! What happened to all the reports of "great build quality"? Between this, Ambient Display not working consistently, Trusted Devices/Places not working reliably, and still having people with random reboots and/or black screens, I am wondering why I still want this phone. DH is an iPhone all the way guy, and I'm having a hard time explaining to him why I want this phone----mostly because I'm starting to doubt it myself. Yet I cannot see myself ever being happy with an iPhone. So what's left? Samsung? I'm serious---I'm on the verge of going to AT&T and buying the N6, but there seems to have been not much movement toward resolving these issues so I hate to commit to the phone only to find it remains problematic. OTOH, if I change course and go to the Note 4, which I'm sure I would like in many ways, I will be so sorry I didn't stick it out with the N6 if they address all these issues successfully. Customers like me really need Google to step up and admit there are problems, what those problems are, and assure us that they were working on those issues specifically. Otherwise, we're just supposed to believe that they know and will address them ASAP? Is it asking too much that they get a phone and its OS working out of the box before they move on to the next device and OS?
What's wrong with Samsung?

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
What's wrong with Samsung?

Actually, when I started looking for a new phone, I was sold on the Samsung Note 3. The Note 4 was just around the corner, so I figured I would wait a bit and get a good bargain on the Note 3. Then I started reading about the Nexus 6 and it lured me away.

There is nothing wrong with Samsung that I am aware of. However, I did think that a phone that was kept more simple in terms of software, like the Nexus 6, would have greater longevity. I am not like a lot of the people who come here, who like a new phone every 12-18 months. I like to get a phone that does what I need it to, get it set up the way I like, and have it last as long as possible. While a new OS is always exciting, it also comes with a learning curve and a lot of things that need to be fixed. I don't really need that excitement in my life. I'd rather stick with what works a bit longer.

In trying to explain my choice to DH, who can't understand why I wouldn't just pick up an iPhone like his, this is what I told him: When I buy a new PC, the first thing I want to do is strip off the operating system and all the extra stuff that the manufacturer has put on it and start fresh. Now I'm not so advanced that I install Linux or do anything really novel with the computer----I just make sure that I have what I want installed on my computer and ONLY what I want. I also have the UI set up the way I work and think for most efficient use. That's what I want from my Android phone. Just as I haven't gone the Linux route, I don't want to root my smartphone. So, bottom line, I love the specs of the Samsung Note 4 and much of what it offers----but, like my computer illustration, it is loaded down with all sorts of things that I don't need/want. So I have to think that, over time, there will be some slow down and problems having so many things included in Touchwiz, loaded on top of the Android OS.

Another selling point for me is that the N6 already has Lollipop and, hopefully, will become stable with it soon; whereas, Samsung has yet to go through the process of integrating Lollipop into their phones. I still remember all the complaints with the Note 3 when KitKat began loading on the phone.

Bottom line, I'm still intrigued by both Samsung Note 4 and the Nexus 6. They each have their pluses and minuses. I thought the N6 had the cleanest interface, which is what I want. But, no matter how clean, if that interface isn't working on several levels, I'm not going to be happy.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Actually, when I started looking for a new phone, I was sold on the Samsung Note 3. The Note 4 was just around the corner, so I figured I would wait a bit and get a good bargain on the Note 3. Then I started reading about the Nexus 6 and it lured me away.

There is nothing wrong with Samsung that I am aware of. However, I did think that a phone that was kept more simple in terms of software, like the Nexus 6, would have greater longevity. I am not like a lot of the people who come here, who like a new phone every 12-18 months. I like to get a phone that does what I need it to, get it set up the way I like, and have it last as long as possible. While a new OS is always exciting, it also comes with a learning curve and a lot of things that need to be fixed. I don't really need that excitement in my life. I'd rather stick with what works a bit longer.

In trying to explain my choice to DH, who can't understand why I wouldn't just pick up an iPhone like his, this is what I told him: When I buy a new PC, the first thing I want to do is strip off the operating system and all the extra stuff that the manufacturer has put on it and start fresh. Now I'm not so advanced that I install Linux or do anything really novel with the computer----I just make sure that I have what I want installed on my computer and ONLY what I want. I also have the UI set up the way I work and think for most efficient use. That's what I want from my Android phone. Just as I haven't gone the Linux route, I don't want to root my smartphone. So, bottom line, I love the specs of the Samsung Note 4 and much of what it offers----but, like my computer illustration, it is loaded down with all sorts of things that I don't need/want. So I have to think that, over time, there will be some slow down and problems having so many things included in Touchwiz, loaded on top of the Android OS.

Another selling point for me is that the N6 already has Lollipop and, hopefully, will become stable with it soon; whereas, Samsung has yet to go through the process of integrating Lollipop into their phones. I still remember all the complaints with the Note 3 when KitKat began loading on the phone.

Bottom line, I'm still intrigued by both Samsung Note 4 and the Nexus 6. They each have their pluses and minuses. I thought the N6 had the cleanest interface, which is what I want. But, no matter how clean, if that interface isn't working on several levels, I'm not going to be happy.
That makes perfect sense to me. I completely understand why you would want the Nexus 6. I too am a little disappointed in the reports about the build quality. I'm not exactly sure why it disappoints me, because I have a Note 4 and have no intention of getting the Nexus 6. Maybe its because I have always been a fan of the Nexus line and want to see it do well. Motorola is supposed to be known for as great build quality so to learn of these issues is concerning.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It is not unusual for new devices to have small build issues even the nexus line. Remember the buttons and speaker holes were changes a few months after the Nexus 5 launch. Does not make it any less annoying. I have the google play N6 and no issues so far.

I would exchange mine if I had that issue this soon.

Posted via my OnePlus One!

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Nexus 5 and the Nexus 7 and I've been very happy with them. I've been reading these forums with much trepidation. I'm quite critical of my devices so I was ready to send my new Nexus devices back if there were any problems whatsoever.

I've had the Nexus 6 for a month and when I first got it I thought I had a problem with the camera lens cover. The little cut out in the upper right hand area turned out to be for the microphone. Anyway, having had the Nexus 6 for the past month, I can find no problems with it whatsoever.

I got the Nexus 9 for Christmas. I was prepared to find all sorts of problems with it also. And as far as I can tell it too is problem free.

I almost feel guilty posting this, as apparently many have problems.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
It is not unusual for new devices to have small build issues even the nexus line. Remember the buttons and speaker holes were changes a few months after the Nexus 5 launch. Does not make it any less annoying. I have the google play N6 and no issues so far.

I would exchange mine if I had that issue this soon.

Posted via my OnePlus One!

I don't have the history with Nexus, or smartphones in general, that most of you do. So it's comforting to read that initial problems are not unusual and that they are usually corrected. My question, though, is how do you know when those problems with hardware have been addressed? People seem to be reporting problems with all different build dates and no discernible pattern.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I've had the Nexus 5 and the Nexus 7 and I've been very happy with them. I've been reading these forums with much trepidation. I'm quite critical of my devices so I was ready to send my new Nexus devices back if there were any problems whatsoever.

I've had the Nexus 6 for a month and when I first got it I thought I had a problem with the camera lens cover. The little cut out in the upper right hand area turned out to be for the microphone. Anyway, having had the Nexus 6 for the past month, I can find no problems with it whatsoever.

I got the Nexus 9 for Christmas. I was prepared to find all sorts of problems with it also. And as far as I can tell it too is problem free.

I almost feel guilty posting this, as apparently many have problems.

Don't feel guilty! I'm glad you don't have problems and I appreciate when others post with good reviews. Just wish I knew if there was some way to increase the odds of getting a decent phone.

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I'd say that your in the wrong place to really judge build quality of a phone. Of all the phones out there how many do you think will come here to praise how good the phone is and how great the build quality is. This is a specific forum for Android casuals and enthusiasts. The majority of posts you will see will be the doom and gloom and how horrible it is. As new as the Nexus 6 is everyone purchasing through the channels available be it carriers, Motorola, Google Play should have no problems getting a warrantied replacement. I've had mine for over a month now and not a single issue build quality wise at all. Software wise yeah they are a few things I'd like fixed. They aren't showstoppers and anyone who has owned a Nexus before knows that the software just matures with time and further updating. I'm happy with mine and in the past two years have swapped phones every few months as I have been on Verizon and could never find a phone that made me happy enough to want to consistently use it. Now that I am able to have the Nexus on Verizon I will be with this thing for awhile. Only change may be getting a 64Gb and possibly could white when it's available. My partner likes my Nexus as much as I do so this one quite possibly will become his. Just don't let the topics in here necessarily skew your mind when it comes to buying. I would say use the comments and posts as guides that if you do purchase these are some things you may have to look out for or keep an eye on. You may have the issues you may not but remember there is always the warranty as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd say that your in the wrong place to really judge build quality of a phone. Of all the phones out there how many do you think will come here to praise how good the phone is and how great the build quality is. This is a specific forum for Android casuals and enthusiasts. The majority of posts you will see will be the doom and gloom and how horrible it is. As new as the Nexus 6 is everyone purchasing through the channels available be it carriers, Motorola, Google Play should have no problems getting a warrantied replacement. I've had mine for over a month now and not a single issue build quality wise at all. Software wise yeah they are a few things I'd like fixed. They aren't showstoppers and anyone who has owned a Nexus before knows that the software just matures with time and further updating. I'm happy with mine and in the past two years have swapped phones every few months as I have been on Verizon and could never find a phone that made me happy enough to want to consistently use it. Now that I am able to have the Nexus on Verizon I will be with this thing for awhile. Only change may be getting a 64Gb and possibly could white when it's available. My partner likes my Nexus as much as I do so this one quite possibly will become his. Just don't let the topics in here necessarily skew your mind when it comes to buying. I would say use the comments and posts as guides that if you do purchase these are some things you may have to look out for or keep an eye on. You may have the issues you may not but remember there is always the warranty as well.

Thanks for the positive post. I do know that reading this site could make me afraid to get any of the phones. However, I did do an analysis a while back, checking complaints, bug reports, etc. for phones like the Samsung Note 4, Moto X, and HTC One M8, as well as a few for the LG G3. It did seem to me that the N6 was getting more complaints than the other phones. (I compared comments the first few months after release of each phone.) Since probably fewer N6 smartphones have been purchased than, for example, the Note 4, it does concern me. Maybe the expectations for the Nexus 6 are just higher, thus the disappointment from more users? I'm not finding a phone that meets my needs better than the Nexus 6, but I do want a quality built phone with good reception that will, hopefully, last for more than a year or two before having to replace it. No guarantees, of course, but I wish the odds looked a bit better.

It certainly helps, though, when people come here and express their satisfaction with their phones.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Wondering how many of you guys are using wireless charging or are particularly heavy game players.

The only explanation I might have for both peeling letters and softening glue is if the device is often running very hot.

I don't use wireless charging and the only game I have installed is two dots

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site

I still have the nexus 6 because I like it despite the issues. I have a note 4 on the way though so going to compare and decide from there. I'd be sad to let stock go but if it works out I'll be making the switch.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I still have the nexus 6 because I like it despite the issues. I have a note 4 on the way though so going to compare and decide from there. I'd be sad to let stock go but if it works out I'll be making the switch.

Please let us know what you think of the Note v Nexus.

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah for me there really isn't that much of an upgrade from the Note 3 to the Note 4. I used a Note 3 in the past and hated it for of all things it's size. Went to an LG G3 but still didn't like their skin of Android and then to the iPhone 6 and I really liked it's size. iOS gets boring to me though and I was really just waiting for the N6 which of course is even bigger than the Note 3 and I was fearful of the size but within a matter of a few days I was adjusted. I can't pinpoint it maybe it's the way the phone is designed with the curves or what but this thing to me feels normal to use where the Note 3 was cumbersome. Maybe I just like stock android that much but their is definitely something ergonomically better about the N6 for me.

Gacek

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi!
I am new here, I have the same issue, BUT straight out of the box - the back cover was like on the photos below, at the moment I took the phone out... Package was untouched...

nexus6_back_1.jpg
nexus6_back_2.jpg

I wonder why? On ifixit I read that the adhesive that connects the cover to the rest of the phone is mild (obviously - the gap keeps getting bigger if you'll try to stick it back to the phone body). Either the phone waited long for delivery (it is available in Poland for a week now), say for two months pr something, or Motorola couldn't meet demand and tried to improve speed of manufacturing process, or I am plain wrong in both cases and it is plain bad luck... To be honest, this forum is the only place that I found that mentions this problem with nexus 6.

Last edited:

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi!
I am new here, I have the same issue, BUT straight out of the box - the back cover was like on the photos below, at the moment I took the phone out... Package was untouched...

View attachment 157195
View attachment 157197

I wonder why? On ifixit I read that the adhesive that connects the cover to the rest of the phone is mild (obviously - the gap keeps getting bigger if you'll try to stick it back to the phone body). Either the phone waited long for delivery (it is available in Poland for a week now), say for two months pr something, or Motorola couldn't meet demand and tried to improve speed of manufacturing process, or I am plain wrong in both cases and it is plain bad luck... To be honest, this forum is the only place that I found that mentions this problem with nexus 6.

Sheesh that's really bad. I'd send that right back to them and (hopefully) have them send you a replacement.

dmlv

May 11, 2013
Visit site
That is ridiculous! But call customer service right away...explain...send pics is u feel like it (they won't make u)...they will send you a replacement asap.
I've had this even happen to a new iPhone once. Glass was separated off the entire right side. Swapped it out on the spot. Difference is u can't walk into a moto or Google store.

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Is Motorola addressing this problem? Has anyone heard? TIme frame for a fix?

The idea of gluing the back on instead of fastening it in a mechanical fashion bothers me. On this point I prefer the Note 4 -- but I can't stand TouchWiz.

If they fix this by using stronger glue then there might be a problem getting the back off to replace the battery -- built-in batteries being another thing that I wish Google would step back from.

Anyway, I haven't made up my mind about the N6 yet (happy N5 user here) so this isn't good news.

RealDogBoy

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned...

Even if the gap created by this separation is tiny it still creates an opening for moisture. That means that the problem must be dealt with.

More photos would be appreciated.

Edwardjr

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Happened to my Nexus 6 too, after about a week of owning it. As you can see from the images below, the back has popped on both sides and I can see the internal components...

WP_20150102_005.jpg

WP_20150102_006.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress