Does your phone ask you to unlock it right when you turn it on before it boots?

ryancell

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
My phone used to ask me to unlock to start the android operating system when I would turn it on and after it booted up. I did a safe boot and now since then, it no longer asks me to unlock it upon turning the phone on. It just asks me to unlock it after it boots to the main screen.

Which is the norm? And if its normal to ask to unlock when it first turns on, how can I get that to come back? I'm stock/not rooted. Thanks

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
When you set up how you want to lock your phone it asks if you want it to lock on start up. Go into privacy and set up your lock settings again and choose for it to lock on start up there.

Last edited:

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
With the random reboots that some are having, will the phone not boot until you enter a password in that case? If so that could get really annoying if you thought your phone was on and it wasn't.

Posted via the Android Central App

goombah

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
With the random reboots that some are having, will the phone not boot until you enter a password in that case? If so that could get really annoying if you thought your phone was on and it wasn't.

Mine usually won't. That's typically how I know it rebooted. However, it seems like sometimes it just reboots without asking for my pin. Very strange and not too happy about that. Before I rooted it, since I'm on AT&T, I'd hear that damn tone whenever it rebooted (I think I have some kind of cringe disorder every time I hear that sound on one of their commercials now). Once rooted, sound is gone and I now only find out it rebooted if I see a PIN request.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

Mine usually won't. That's typically how I know it rebooted. However, it seems like sometimes it just reboots without asking for my pin. Very strange and not too happy about that. Before I rooted it, since I'm on AT&T, I'd hear that damn tone whenever it rebooted (I think I have some kind of cringe disorder every time I hear that sound on one of their commercials now). Once rooted, sound is gone and I now only find out it rebooted if I see a PIN request.

Ah ok. I've been wanting to try the feature enabling the pin on startup, but I wouldn't want to miss calls cuz the phone hasn't booted. Guess I'll leave that feature off for now.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

There is no such thing as a random reboot.

If your Nexus 6 is randomly rebooting, you have a bad or incompatible app installed. Figure out which one it is and get rid of it.

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

If your Nexus 6 is randomly rebooting, you have a bad or incompatible app installed. Figure out which one it is and get rid of it.

It doesn't happen often enough to be an issue for me, but I have seen the phone spontaneously rebooting when just sitting on my desk, or I'll see a gap in the battery history and see the uptime doesn't match when I last restarted it. Not easily reproducible doesn't make it easy to troubleshoot.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

I agree with "no such thing as a random reboot", but with Lollipop, there have been reports of unexpected reboots - which are supposedly because of a memory leak in the OS that is causing out of memory condition resulting in a reboot. So, can't really get rid of the cause till Android 5.1 hopefully fixes it.
Google has acknowledged the bug, and has fixed the bug, to be released in 'a future release". https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=79729

I have not experienced this reboot on my N5 or N6, but I know enough people who experience this every day. Must be really really annoying

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
I have had that as well but when its truly random (not touching the device at all) its usually a quick boot which doesn't prompt for a password.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't happen often enough to be an issue for me, but I have seen the phone spontaneously rebooting when just sitting on my desk, or I'll see a gap in the battery history and see the uptime doesn't match when I last restarted it. Not easily reproducible doesn't make it easy to troubleshoot.

That doesn't make it random or the result of an OS bug. A fair number of the apps loaded on your phone are doing all sorts of stuff while the phone is "just sitting on your desk" - anyone of them could be at fault.

As for memory leaks mentioned in another post, these are as likely (more likely) to be app-related than OS-related.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress