6.0.1 installation error

cygnusx8

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm getting an error when installing 6.0.1 OTA. Phone reboots and when it gets to little android with open belly, I get an error. Had same error when attempting to install November security update. This phone is not rooted. I did install previous update (Marshmallow 6.0) by flashing the phone. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I have exactly the same error. 6.0.1 OTA installation attempt results in "Error" with tiny Android robot on its back. If I Power + tap Vol Up, It does tell me that there is unexpected info in the existing install.

I had flash installed the factory image of stock 6.0 months ago using Nexus Root Toolkit. The phone is unlocked. I see the unlocked padlock icon on the firstbootup flash screen. My goal was to just get stock Android 6.0 at the time, but not any kind of modified version.

The 6.0 installation works great, no issues.

Build number MRA58K
Android Security Patch level October 1, 2015. (Is that a problem?... that's several months ago)
I understand that could flash 6.0.1 factory image to the phone which would result in a factory reset situation, losing my settings, data, etc.

My question is, when I flashed 6.0 does that mean that my phone will never get OTA updates that can install? If I flash 6.0.1 will that still be the case - no future OTA updates?

Last edited:

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Update
I tried to do the full unroot in the SuperSU app. That failed.
I tried cleanup SuperSU and reinstalled it from Google Play Store.
At that point SuperSU wants to update the binary. I tried both normal and the custom TWRP methods more than once and both failed.

I downloaded a Root Check app from Google Play and confirmed that the phone was rooted.

I then followed the first set of instructions here to Manually Unroot the phone: 3 Ways to Unroot Android - wikiHow
Note that the only file I could find to delete was the SU file in System \ XBIN as described in step 5. The other files were not present to delete. I used ES File Explorer and had Show Hidden Files and Root Explorer turned on.

I then used Root Check app to confirm that the phone is not Rooted.

I then tried to Install the OTA of 6.0.1 again but it still failed as before.

Now I have to proceed to Locking the bootloader.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Now I have to proceed to Locking the bootloader.
unrooting to take OTA won't work. Your system partition will still be "modified", so OTA will not work.
You will need to get back to stock (everything) before you can try to take OTA. (or, even better, when you are downloading the factory images, just download the latest one, so OTA won't be needed)

(I hope you didn't lock the bootloader - if you haven't, don't do it)

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I am using the Nexus Root Toolkit.
I got the new NRT version, redid all my drivers, made backups.
I'm now downloading the 6.0.1 Flash factory image and am going to install it in No Wipe mode with NRT so that I don't lose data, and only after that will relock.

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I"m hoping that it will flash the stock recovery and get rid of TWRP....not sure though. The download of the factory image is taking hours on my computer.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I know a lot of people use NRT - I don't. So can't say for sure what it will do.
I use the fastboot commands directly - that way, I know exactly what I'm doing :)

Anyway, all the very best. I do recommend that you keep your bootloader unlocked. In case something goes wrong in the future, having the bootloader unlocked will likely be very helpful. Unlocked bootloader won't cause any issues with OTAs.

You must have really low download speeds - I was able to download it in about a minute or so (50Mbps connection).

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm now downloading the 6.0.1 Flash factory image and am going to install it in No Wipe mode with NRT so that I don't lose data, and only after that will relock.

Heads up... If you relock the bootloader on the Nexus 6, you'll wipe all the data on your phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
My download is 5 M so it must also be the source speed. I'm getting the image through the Toolkit.

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. So I won't relock the bootloader.

After I flash this factory image then will future OTAs and monthly security patches work?

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. So I won't relock the bootloader.

After I flash this factory image then will future OTAs and monthly security patches work?

They should, but if you leave the bootloader unlocked, you can use NRT's "No Wipe Mode" to flash the new image every month. It's very fast and it takes longer to download the image than it does to flash it. Yesterday morning, I downloaded the images for my N5, N6 and N7. That took about 20 minutes. Flashing all three with the latest update took less than 10 minutes.

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. The download through NRT took many hours. Is it possible to do the download separately and then use NRT to install it with No Wipe?

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I checked NRT and it does allow you to install a factory image that you downloaded separately. By going directly to Google, I think it would take around a half hour to download. I have to remember not to download with NRT.

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I tried yesterday to return the whole phone to stock so that it will in the future receive the monthly OTA security patches and any OTA system upgrades. (Since I flashed Marshmallow 6.0, I had not received any monthly OTA security patches and only received the Feb 1 System Upgrade OTA to 6.0.1, but that would not install becasue, I think, the phone was rooted and/or had TWRP recovery installed.)

I wanted to check which recovery is installed now. I booted into fastboot and navigated to Recovery, enter. What I saw was an Android robot on its back with a red exclamation mark. No words. After waiting a couple of minutes the phone just rebooted itself to Marshmallow.

How do I see which recovery is installed?

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all.

Update. I'm still stuck on trying to get the stock recovery installed on this Nexus 6.

I did the following today: I downloaded the full factory Image from google. I extracted the folders and subfolders. I got the recovery.img file and copied to my C:\ directory where I have the ADB DLL files and the fastboot.exe file.

I executed fastboot flash recovery recovery.img in my Comand prompt window with the phone in fastboot flash mode and tethered by USB.

The command executed immediately and I got confirmations as follows:

C:\>fastboot devices
ZX1G22VJNR fastboot

C:\>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
sending 'recovery' (8919 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.286s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.300s]
finished. total time: 0.586s

Though I don't think the phone displayed anything, the above is what the computer displayed, of course.

After that I tried going from fastboot to Recovery and again I just got the android robot open with red exclamation point.

The phone works fine and has 6.0.1. What I'm trying to do is get it so that it will receive monthly OTA security patches and OTA updates. From what I understand it must have stock recovery to do that. It seems like I'm not getting the phone to tell me that it has any recovery installed.

What next? Thanks.

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. The download through NRT took many hours. Is it possible to do the download separately and then use NRT to install it with No Wipe?

Sure. That's what I do. I download the .tgz to my desktop. Once I'm done with it, I delete it.