QI Pad that will charge nexus standing up

andy barton

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
is there a QI pad that will charge the nexus 7 when its standing on its side? I'd like to use it as an alarm clock but would still like to be able to see the face of the device.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a Nokia 910 charger, it works when in landscape mode. Portrait didnt want to work. Now that I have a Portenzo case on it, it wont work regardless. Just too big of a case.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I have the Tylt Vu, and it works in landscape. Won't work in portrait. Really like it, but pretty expensive at $70. Oh yeah an it works with the Poetic Slimline and Moko Ultra Slim cases.

Posted via Android Central App

oldtimer42

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm a Kickstarter sponsor for the Vu. My Tylt Vu should be arriving any day now. I'll do a mini review when I get it.

I do know they said they tested it on the N7 and due to the coil location in the tablet and the length of it that it will only work in landscape while charging.

I will test it on my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 2013.

Sent from my Nexus 7

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I've had the Tylt Vu for a month. Does a very good job of charging the N7 in landscape, and obviously the Nexus 4 in either. The Vu definitely does NOT charge the N7 in portrait. It will charge the N7 with a TPU case, as well as both the Poetic Slimline and Moko Ultra Slim cases on.

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm a Kickstarter sponsor for the Vu. My Tylt Vu should be arriving any day now. I'll do a mini review when I get it.

I do know they said they tested it on the N7 and due to the coil location in the tablet and the length of it that it will only work in landscape while charging.

I will test it on my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 2013.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Interesting, too bad it won't work in portrait mode, however to be honest I think that most of the time I would put it in landscape mode as its a tablet. Where as my phone, I mainly use it in portrait mode.

I look forward to the review, hopefully they can make these available on Amazon although if things sound good I don't mind purchasing it elsewhere.

oldtimer42

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Apologies for the delay in posting this.

I received my black TYLT Vu the other day and have been testing it (and admiring it). I am concerned with the number of insertions my phone and tablet will endure for their micro usb connectors so wireless charging is a great solution for me. This made me very interested in this Kickstarter project and the Vu itself.

I'll attach pictures below for people interested to have a look at.
IMG_20130910_101511.jpg
IMG_20130910_121308.jpg
IMG_20130910_121333.jpg
IMG_20130910_122520.jpg
IMG_20130910_122442.jpg

The packaging is a rich/amazing clear firm plastic box and a bright green plastic rim around the front edge. Included inside is the stand, a power brick in the horizontal orientation charging position with a round power connector (not micro or mini usb) and a permanently attached long cord from wall plug/brick to the connector. Also included is the requisite standard regulatory/safety pamphlets. The long (approximately 6' long) cord on the charger is a good feature allowing for plugging in and placing the stand almost anywhere. The stand itself is solid and stable with a sort of soft touch plastic The connector is a little challenging to plug in but once inserted feels solidly in place and shouldn't disconnect if you were to knock the stand off a desk or night stand. The stand has a nice cable management slot so the connector is protected and provides good bend relief from the connector leading out of the stand. The connector is not a micro usb as I had hoped but a round 1-2mm connector. Apparently this is due to the power draw of the coils in the stand being higher than the microusb standard.

I tested it on my Nexus 4 and my Nexus 7. Detailed results are for the Nexus 7 but similar results were observed on both.

Nexus 4

It works in both orientations for the Nexus 4 quickly recognizing the phone and promptly beginning charging in both landscape and portrait modes. The green light comes on to show that it is charging. For the Nexus 4 the phone also charges with a thin Nilikin Case on the phone with no issue. The phone does not charge with a Ballistic SG Case installed.

Nexus 7 (no case/cover installed)

The Vu only works in landscape mode for the Nexus 7 as in portrait mode the center of the back of the tablet reaches above the charging edge/coils of the Vu. The Nexus 7 also begins promptly charging with the Green LED lighting when placing the tablet on the charger with the Home capacitive button centered over the LED. With the Dashclock Battery Widget running it shows it "xx% - Charging (Wireless)" until 100% and shows "100% - Charged" when charged.

Concern

When the Nexus 7 reaches 100% it appears that it does not shut down charging waiting till it discharges significantly before starting again. It cycles on and off going from "100% - Charged" the LED cycling to Red briefly to "100% - Not Charging" back to "100% - Charged". After letting it sit on the charger and discharge for some time it cycled back to "99% - Charging (Wireless)" to repeat. This takes some time as the battery discharges very slowly.

My preference and expectation would be to have it to charge to 100%, go to sleep, gradually discharge to 90-95%, occasionally checking and then restarting the charge. Cycling at 99-100% could impact battery life. Also, once it reaches 100% and starts the cycling the temperature seems to stay at about 29 C (room ambient approximately 23 C) so this doesn't seem to be a an issue that would impact battery life, however, I'm not 100% sure about that. When it cycles back and forth the tablet makes no sound so this also shouldn't be an issue using it as an alarm clock next to the bed. The LED cycles to Red briefly but the LED is not so bright that this would be an issue for me.

This behavior is not as I expected and TYLT stated it would operate and in fact matches a early design issue they reported to Kickstarter Sponsors. TYLT stated they were aware of the issue and were working to resolve it prior to shipping to sponsors. I have reported this to Customer Service and their engineers are looking into it and they have stated they will have a solution in the coming weeks. Customer Service is extremely prompt in responding and provided me with the confidence that this is being looked into.

Pro's
Clean solid feel design
Good length cord on charger
Small total real estate on desk
Charger brick is horizontal which allows for access to other plugs in the wall plug

Con's
Price
Charging cycling
Minor - Power connector being round (if it were micro usb I'd have another power supply to use)

Overall
This product is great. It looks good, is stable on my desk, charges my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 well, and has practical considerations such as long power cords unlike many other included cables.
As I mentioned previously, I am concerned with the number of insertions my phone and tablet will endure for their micro usb connectors so wireless charging is a great solution for me. Also, being able to see the display while charging is a great option allowing for use of the phone or tablet as a alarm clock, daydream clock or music player. The stand with the phone/tablet sitting on it does not take more real estate than a pad charger would. Overall, It is attractive and functional.

I'm not sure if it is operating exactly as expected but charges quickly. Unfortunately, if the cycling of charging might impact battery life I won't know that for some time. Once I learn more from Customer Service I'll report back.

Summary
I wouldn't hesitate to have this on my desk at work or on my nightstand next to the bed.
I would purchase this product again but might wait on the resolution to the charging cycling if I were concerned about it.
I will likely get a second unit for my desk as my first will be on my nightstand.

This is my first ever mini review so be gentle on comments. These are my opinions only.

No tablets were harmed in the making of this review.

If you have questions or need clarification PM me or reply to this post.

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I bought a tylt vu online from a b&m retailer (REI) in the US. Like it, but it is definitely having problems charging consistently. Some times it will and sometimes not. When it won't, it won't for a few days, then all is good for awhile. Tylt says they know what is going on and should be fixing it. Been waiting for 6 weeks, hopefully they really are addressing the problem.

BrandonEnr7

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the update and review of the Vu. Glad to hear your concerns, I may hold off until they resolved them. This is for me more of a luxury than a necessity. I first will be investing in a power brick so I can charge via USB on to go.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I bought a tylt vu online from a b&m retailer (REI) in the US. Like it, but it is definitely having problems charging consistently. Some times it will and sometimes not. When it won't, it won't for a few days, then all is good for awhile. Tylt says they know what is going on and should be fixing it. Been waiting for 6 weeks, hopefully they really are addressing the problem.

Got mine from REI today. With my dividend and a $14.00-off coupon I ended up paying $16.00 after tax - couldn't pass it up at that price. So far, it seems to work really well charging through my Poetic Slimline case. I'll post back if I run into any charging issues with it.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
This looks kind of interesting. Qi Wireless Charging Dock for Google Nexus 7 2013 :: MobileFun.com

It shows use in both landscape and potrait.

That does look interesting, though I have a hard time paying that much for a model-specific wireless charger. The beauty of a wireless charging standard like Qi is buying accessories that can be used with multiple devices, whether that be more than one device owned at one time, or keep using it with the next device. It wouldn't surprise me if other things could kind of fit & work in this stand, but I wouldn't be willing to spend that much to be the one to test that.

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
What a simple but great idea. I already have a stand like that gathering dust. Definitely gonna make one.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non