Google Calendar - usage when offline

Leah Schwarz

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I took delivery today (at last!) of my Asus Nexus 7 (Wifi only - no 3G).

Aside from the super-annoying need to actually connect to Wifi before being able to use the device (whose stupid idea was that?), I am stumped by the calendar which won't let me put in any appointments or reminders when not connected.

Is that usual? Am I supposed to connect just to edit/add an appointment? (yes, I know it wont sync up until I do connect...)

Thanks!

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
The Google Calendar app allows you to add events when you are offline. You might get a quick warning message at the bottom of the app when you open it while offline, but it should still work. That was my experience after testing it just now.

Off topic a bit, it might seem strange that you can't set up the Nexus 7 without an internet connection, but the N7, like other tablets, really isn't that useful without a connection upon first using it anyway. If you could use it without an initial connection, it wouldn't be much more than a glorified mp3 player and calculator. Therefore, it seems to make sense to me that an internet connection is needed to set it up.

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Try clearing cache and data by going to Settings > Apps > Calendar, and tapping the clear cache and data buttons. While there, you might as well tap the Force Stop button. Then reboot the N7, make sure you're online, and start up Calendar. Enter a test appointment to make sure it accepts it while online. Then disable WiFi and try to enter another test appointment.

If this doesn't work, then explain the precise steps you are taking, and what happens after each step. And please confirm that you are using the Google Calendar app that was preinstalled on the N7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non