OMG the annoying persistent notifications. What a step back Google.

xxaarraa1983

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
In general, Android over does the notifications and I find Apple's approach better. I don't want to be told about everything happening behind the scenes, I want my 'smartphone' to handle it without telling me. I typically blank out much of what's on the status bar with systemUItuner anyway.

Anyway, Oreo seems to have taken several steps back with these super annoying persistent notifications!!! I don't need a notification to be there all the time that I cannot dismiss that says my phone is charging (I know, because I plugged it in!), or that something is running in the background (who cares?).

I found the one hack to remove the running in background notification, but I still get all the other annoying ones including every time I plug into my car for charging.

Anyway to deal with these? Anyone else feel this pain?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't need a notification to be there all the time that I cannot dismiss that says my phone is charging (I know, because I plugged it in!), or that something is running in the background (who cares?).

I actually find that notification to be useful. If it's not there, then I know that something is wrong with my set up, whether it's the cables, the charging block, or the phone itself.

xxaarraa1983

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I actually find that notification to be useful. If it's not there, then I know that something is wrong with my set up, whether it's the cables, the charging block, or the phone itself.

When you plug your phone in, the battery icon changes and the thunder bolt icon in the battery indicates if phone is charging. There is absolutely no need for a redundant and persistent notification.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a notification telling me the phone is charging. Only one I really don't like is a device is casting, but it can be swiped away so no biggie.
9c7cb9a65bc950b224df62f4e7f9b97c.jpg

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a charging notification either. You mentioned that you see it when you're charging in your car... Is it maybe a notification to let you know that you're not fast charging?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Is the charger plugged into a USB port on the car or via the AC/DC converter? Reason I ask is, if it is a USB port, it may be something capable of transmitting data, in which case your notification is letting you choose between charging, data transfer, etc.

xxaarraa1983

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
It's the USB debugging / charging icon. My car's USB port provides both data and power so phone is being over eager and telling me it's charging.

I used that as an example. I find there are too many persistent notifications in general. Wanted to see if anyone has found a way to quiet down persistent notifications.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I will have to see how they are in O. I personally can't stand Apple's notifications. I don't like having to go into a panel just to see them -- I prefer the icons at the top left.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
When you plug your phone in, the battery icon changes and the thunder bolt icon in the battery indicates if phone is charging. There is absolutely no need for a redundant and persistent notification.

Right. But after you plug in and start charging, your cord might still come loose or fail after the screen is dark and you're away from the phone. That's when the notification on the screen comes in handy.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I will have to see how they are in O. I personally can't stand Apple's notifications. I don't like having to go into a panel just to see them -- I prefer the icons at the top left.

That's one of things that drove me away from iOS and my 6s Plus. That damn notification system.

xxaarraa1983

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Right. But after you plug in and start charging, your cord might still come loose or fail after the screen is dark and you're away from the phone. That's when the notification on the screen comes in handy.

If your screen is off or you have stepped away the persistent notification does you no good anyway.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
It's the USB debugging / charging icon. My car's USB port provides both data and power so phone is being over eager and telling me it's charging.

I used that as an example. I find there are too many persistent notifications in general. Wanted to see if anyone has found a way to quiet down persistent notifications.
Some notifications can be turned off. When you see a notification you don't like, try sliding it over half way and hit the settings cog. Sometimes it will let you completely turn the notification off.

xxaarraa1983

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Some notifications can be turned off. When you see a notification you don't like, try sliding it over half way and hit the settings cog. Sometimes it will let you completely turn the notification off.

Yes already tried that. But 'persistent' notifications cannot be turned off trough that method. Which is why there is a hack available. I was wondering if there were other options.

Looks like I may be the only one complaining. Seems everyone likes to be notified about everything!

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
In general, Android over does the notifications and I find Apple's approach better. I don't want to be told about everything happening behind the scenes, I want my 'smartphone' to handle it without telling me. I typically blank out much of what's on the status bar with systemUItuner anyway.

Anyway, Oreo seems to have taken several steps back with these super annoying persistent notifications!!! I don't need a notification to be there all the time that I cannot dismiss that says my phone is charging (I know, because I plugged it in!), or that something is running in the background (who cares?).

I found the one hack to remove the running in background notification, but I still get all the other annoying ones including every time I plug into my car for charging.

Anyway to deal with these? Anyone else feel this pain?

OK, that is one really odd, downright strange complaint.

We're all different, and there's plenty of room for everyone,but I have to say your complaint is a new one for me.

If this is a deal breaker for you I suppose you'll have to go back to Apple.

Personally I find the granularity of control over notification in Oreo to be nothing short of fantastic.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes already tried that. But 'persistent' notifications cannot be turned off trough that method. Which is why there is a hack available. I was wondering if there were other options.

Looks like I may be the only one complaining. Seems everyone likes to be notified about everything!
Some persistent notifications can be turned off. I'm not new to Android...

rbernard80

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site

On my non-Pixel phone I find that notification most useful in determining whether I'm rapid charging, charging, or slow charging. (Stupid micro-usb connectors...)

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The only notification that annoys me is Sonos and I honestly don't care that much.

I prefer a system where I get over notified and I can go turn them off (or down) as opposed to iOS where notifications disappear, never to be seen again.

dmits

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Use this to get rid of them. Works the balls!
Gets rid of: This so and so is using battery and This VPN is running and so on.

Attachments

• 5521.jpg
    5521.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 57

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress