Pixel Stand Photo Frame Not Showing

Josh Golden

Nov 29, 2018
Visit site
Hi. I have the same issue. I've never gotten the slideshow to work on my first Pixel Stand, which i use at home. However, my second Pixel Stand which I use at work, works perfectly. I've tried everything listed in this forum and then some. It's unbelievably frustrating.

Josh Golden

Nov 29, 2018
Visit site
Hi. I have the same issue. I've never gotten the slideshow to work on my first Pixel Stand, which i use at home. However, my second Pixel Stand which I use at work, works perfectly. I've tried everything listed in this forum and then some. It's unbelievably frustrating.

I just found something interesting. As I noted, I've never gotten the photos to show up on my home Pixel Stand, but it works great at work. I found a post on reddit that noted the photo slideshow feature is based on ambient light, so it wont show photos if you're in a dim/dark room which could potentially wake you up at night.

Sure enough. My home Pixel Stand is in a dark room where I game in. I moved the stand to a brighter room, docked my phone, and sure enough the photos started streaming.

Hope this helps someone else.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I just found something interesting. As I noted, I've never gotten the photos to show up on my home Pixel Stand, but it works great at work. I found a post on reddit that noted the photo slideshow feature is based on ambient light, so it wont show photos if you're in a dim/dark room which could potentially wake you up at night.

Sure enough. My home Pixel Stand is in a dark room where I game in. I moved the stand to a brighter room, docked my phone, and sure enough the photos started streaming.

Correct....I believe someone else discovered that earlier in the thread.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Actually, there is setting to enable/disable that behavior. For a bedroom stand, it makes sense to do that.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Had the same problem, came to this thread. Couldn't get it to work until i turned off screen saver (settings -> display -> advanced -> screen saver -> when to start: never) *and* restarted. Then I put it on the dock locked and it took about 30 seconds before it switched on.

Hopefully it stays working...

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/2818748

Interesting...when I go into this, and I press the GEAR next to CURRENT SCREEN SAVER, it crashes...each and every time. Not sure if this is related but it might be a component if what may be causing the Photo Frame not to work.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

MY office at work is well lit and I even have a floor lamp and even turned my phone toward that floor lamp...this is still broken...Photo Frame just never starts.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It is part of the settings you will see when you dock the phone. If you don't see the settings icon on top left corner of the screen, your dock is not connected correctly. Contrary to what has been posted earlier, the USB-C cable doesn't matter. Any USB-C to USB-C cable will work (yes, I have tested it). But you need the original AC adapter. 3rd party adapter won't work.
Also, photos only show up after you docked for 30 seconds or so. Be patient.

How do enable / disable

neorhon

Dec 1, 2018
Visit site
Re: Pixel Stand Photo Frame FNot Showing

Well, this isn't a fix...both of my stands have once again stopped showing the Photo Frame slide show...it is head scratching.

Found out the issue. There are apps that are causing your photo album to malfunction. In my case it is the QR scanner. I uninstalled the app and the photo album worked like a charm.

I had an issue as well where my wallpaper was changing automatically and this was caused by an app that is called wallpaper for me. I uninstalled it and my wallpaper never changed again.

Kinda odd that some apps are interfering with the google apps but nonetheless it is the causes of our trouble. I would suggest to uninstall the app that you installed before your issue happened.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It is part of the settings you will see when you dock the phone. If you don't see the settings icon on top left corner of the screen, your dock is not connected correctly. Contrary to what has been posted earlier, the USB-C cable doesn't matter. Any USB-C to USB-C cable will work (yes, I have tested it). But you need the original AC adapter. 3rd party adapter won't work.
Also, photos only show up after you docked for 30 seconds or so. Be patient.

So you're saying there's a setting to force the photos on in the dark?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just tried it. When the settings is disabled so that phone screen is always on, the photo will still not display in the dark. The screen in anbient mode will shift every few seconds to avoid burn in which is nice . Turn on the bedroom light, photo will show.
So you're saying there's a setting to force the photos on in the dark?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Just tried it. When the settings is disabled so that phone screen is always on, the photo will still not display in the dark. The screen in anbient mode will shift every few seconds to avoid burn in which is nice . Turn on the bedroom light, photo will show.

I thought that was the way it was supposed to work

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Pixel Stand Photo Frame FNot Showing

Found out the issue. There are apps that are causing your photo album to malfunction. In my case it is the QR scanner. I uninstalled the app and the photo album worked like a charm.

I had an issue as well where my wallpaper was changing automatically and this was caused by an app that is called wallpaper for me. I uninstalled it and my wallpaper never changed again.

Kinda odd that some apps are interfering with the google apps but nonetheless it is the causes of our trouble. I would suggest to uninstall the app that you installed before your issue happened.

Wish this worked for me...but dont't have a third party QR scanner installed. :( But this trick has merit. Someone once suggested turning off Smart Lock Trusted Devices but it didn't help. Funny, the other day, the Photo Frame kicked on but the last 9 out of 10 times or so, nothing. It just sits there on the ambient screen.

rimz808

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone know how to change the time of each photos when they change? Seems to be very slow at changing to different picture and would like to be able to increase the rate of change.

Thanks.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Does anyone know how to change the time of each photos when they change? Seems to be very slow at changing to different picture and would like to be able to increase the rate of change.

Thanks.

I don't see a setting for that. Ironically the Google Home Hub allows you to adjust the rate of change.

Ravenwjf

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
So, I found this post and a reddit post very helpful as I now have photo frame working on the stand!! Two things caught me on this, the first being it has to be a bright environment, it will not work in the dark or dimly lit environment. The second is the 30 second wait time for it to start. I didn't do the factory reset method, but I did use the "forget" button for the stand, and that had me go through the assistant setup again when I place the phone on the stand. And I have been looking for a way to cycle through the photos quicker as well!!

Ravenwjf

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I think it's under google assistant, I know that if you look at connected devices while it's on the stand, that is where you can "forget" it.