What are you hopeful to see in Q?

puch96

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
after 12 months of using androind 8.0 and now onto 9, I think i would like to see more emphasis put on basic functionality.
What do I mean by this.....
1. Total hands free for driving including reading and replying to text messages.(not all users have new cars that have android auto. Windows has had it for years)
2. The ability to just add someones birthday or other important dates associated to them under their contact information and have this linked back to the calendar. Which will then automatically provide reminders and notifications. (yep windows phone has it)
3. A bigger limit when sending an mms.
4.A glance screen where i can pic up my phone and it lights up showing time and any notifications including missed calls and received msgs. Then if i have unlock it. Yes I know there is AOD but I dont want the screen on all the time.
5. More customization of personalized settings.. (remember the old days of windows computers where you could pic and choose the colors of text.. Outlines. Boxes. etc etc. Then we could truley pic our own themes( if this is already possible someone please correct me)

But i guess I look at it like this "Do the basics well and the rest will seem like a bonus."

3. Not OS related. This is more carrier and standard MMS related.
4. This is already a feature. You can disable AOD and have it where it lights up when you pick up your phone.

kjung7

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
1. OS stability including smoother animation
2. Gesture improvement
3. Better integration with Chrome OS. If Google gets this right I think it can be there Trojan Horse for getting more serious about tablets and hybrids.
4. Ability to manage favorites in stock dialer. The auto adding feature drives me crazy.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I don't have much that I want. I don't have any issues with gestures but I'm all for improvements. Full Dark Mode implentation would be great. Better volume control accessibility and separate volume for ringer and notifications.

Yes I would like that also better volume control.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Some [bugs] have been fixed, some have not, but it shouldn't have been released like it was.

Nothing should ever be released with bugs, but it happens. I don't mean to suggest that Google should be given a 'free pass' on this, but it's just a reality that we should expect such with any new technology release from anyone. Apple recent launches, as an example, have presented issues of phones not charging if the display wasn't on, messages being delivered to the wrong contact, disruption of 4g... If we want to wholly avoid these sudden shocks and disruptions to our expectations, our best bet is to just not buy a phone - or update an OS - until it's been out long enough to get the kinks ironed out.

- Build a face unlock similar to iOS.
That would actually primarily be a hardware feature. Android supported facial unlock years before Apple.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Indeed. Improved permissions privacy.. Access to location information only while app is in use, etc ..

Ok gotcha...yeah definitely
Like one of my bank apps if I dont grant it my location wont let me in , like wtf why does it need that .

critta71

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
3..it must be somehow related to operating system as I could always attach several photos using windows phone without a problem. now using android i attach 1 at best. and I haven't change carrier.

4. I am not sure where to find that could you point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I see them as operatin system improvements as I came from an operating system that had these built in. No additional need for apps to perform those tasks. Except point 5

But they are not in Android and every OEM skins things differently so if we look at the as improvments in Q it won't happen because it's not across the board.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
3..it must be somehow related to operating system as I could always attach several photos using windows phone without a problem. now using android i attach 1 at best. and I haven't change carrier.

4. I am not sure where to find that could you point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

For #4:you have lift to wake or double tap already

Attachments

• 2736.jpg
    2736.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 14

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
There are a LOT of things I'd like to see in Q:

- Fix the gesture navigations. Right now, they're terrible. They're half-gesture, half-button and slower than the three button setup we had before. Apple's is the gold standard, Google should get as close as they can to that.

- Fix the plethora of bugs Pie has. I'm honestly shocked at how unpolished and buggy Pie has been. The ram management issue, poor video sound recording, photos not being saved, SMS messages not being received, a second artificial notch, Google Assistant suddenly not responding to the key phrase after a couple of days and requiring a restart, issues with reminders through Assistant not working. Some have been fixed, some have not, but it shouldn't have been released like it was. If Android Q is just a sweeping bug fix, I'd actually be pretty happy with that.

- Drastically improve Top Shot. Right now it's pretty much unusable in its current state. Make every image it takes a somewhat decent quality and it could be interesting.

- I'd like built in location-based functions, where I could set it to automatically go to silent when I get to work, and when I leave work, put the sound back on. Would also like more AI integration to make it smarter and hopefully easier to use.

- Build a face unlock similar to iOS.

- Google finally acknowledged that white images lead to faster battery drain, so introduce an OS level dark theme.

That's what is like to see in Android Q. Hoping it's a lot better than Pie.
Motorola got the gesture navigation right in my opinion. I wish Google would adopt that.

critta71

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
But they are not in Android and every OEM skins things differently so if we look at the as improvments in Q it won't happen because it's not across the board.

Ok. Maybe I have misread the topic. I was just commenting on what I would like to see. And having experienced these before they are the few things I think that would benefit most people once they use them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy