"Too expensive" vs Out of stock

turbocycle

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
I find it hilarious that many people are complaining about the cost of the phone, yet the most expensive configurations are completely sold out. Hmmm....

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
This is the "Nexus Effect". Nexus owners are more technology oriented than mainstream consumers. The Pixel does not have to be a great value or large incremental improvement to meet sales targets. In this regard, I agree Pixel is more in line with the Apple marketing philosophy. At least with Android there are manufacturers selling handsets at other price points.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
This is the "Nexus Effect". Nexus owners are more technology oriented than mainstream consumers. The Pixel does not have to be a great value or large incremental improvement to meet sales targets. In this regard, I agree Pixel is more in line with the Apple marketing philosophy. At least with Android there are manufacturers selling handsets at other price points.

Sadly, the price was a necessary evil. The 6p had a lower margin point...but it was a fair price. And it led to reviewers and users assuming the price meant it was midrange or bad. Truth is, these current prices are 2x pricier than they should be. But in order for Google to enter the consumer market they have to charge market prices for flagship phones.

Tyresian

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
We don't have any idea how many were "available" so using out of stock as a measurement is not great. And if we are using that there are still configurations available which I don't think the iPhone ever has after a couple seconds of being on the store.

I've been waiting years for a phone that I actually want to buy, the last one was the Lumia 1020. I bought a 5X earlier this year because that phone was showing its age and the camera was fantastic but too slow and Windows Phone is abandoned by MS. The 5X has been an incredible value, especially with its camera. I do wish it had more RAM so it wouldn't always be closing apps and having to reload them when switching though. Sooo right now I don't know if I just keep waiting or try a OnePlus 3, I could always return it... Or just put in hope that the Pixel XL drops in price.

pr627

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
The ones who come up with the prices are finance, business, marketing "experts", etc, and they certainly know more than me but I would think a good business model would be to price it slightly below the competitor to likely get more people on board and then once everyone realizes how good it is, then match it next year with the iPhone prices. I personally would choose the Pixel over the iPhone, but lets say someone who is totally undecided, is gonna get swayed by the sales people and also name recognition if you are spending $800 vs. $800. I hope by late 2017, Pixel will be a household name like the iPhone

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, the price was a necessary evil. The 6p had a lower margin point...but it was a fair price. And it led to reviewers and users assuming the price meant it was midrange or bad. Truth is, these current prices are 2x pricier than they should be. But in order for Google to enter the consumer market they have to charge market prices for flagship phones.

Excellent point! People - even reviewers - are easily swayed into thinking that "more expensive" means "better" - just look at the fine wine market.

People rate wine better if they are told it is expensive - Telegraph

The Legendary Study That Embarrassed Wine Experts Across the Globe | RealClearScience

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree that the "Out of Stock" status is not an indicator of large sales volume as inventory may be low. On the other hand, if inventory levels reflect Google's expected sales, then they are meeting or beating those expectations. That is probably more important to Google right now than overall market share.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Depends on how many they had for sale...I would imagine not very many, relative to the iPhone which it is competing against

Allen Markham

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
One should never, ever make the mistake of using cost to justify price. Cost is the value of all the things that go into making a product; while price is the amount the seller asks the buyer to pay for the product. The only relationship cost and price have is to determine if a product can make money at the price at which it can be sold in the volumes wanted/needed.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
The ones who come up with the prices are finance, business, marketing "experts", etc, and they certainly know more than me but I would think a good business model would be to price it slightly below the competitor to likely get more people on board and then once everyone realizes how good it is, then match it next year with the iPhone prices.

I totally agree. I don't see how selling only at Verizon when ~60% of people buy their phones at a carrier store is a good business model either. Especially since the majority of *non-techy* people buy what the salesperson recommends, usually an iThing or a Samsung...........:confused:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree. I don't see how selling only at Verizon when ~60% of people buy their phones at a carrier store is a good business model either. Especially since the majority of *non-techy* people buy what the salesperson recommends, usually an iThing or a Samsung...........:confused:

Don't forget, iPhones were sold *only* by AT&T for quite a long time. Google will no doubt open the Pixel up to other carriers soon enough.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget, iPhones were sold *only* by AT&T for quite a long time.

I don't see the cult following for the Google phone though like Apple had. 99% of the people in the last 4 years I've had a Nexus phone ask me "Is that the new iPhone?"..........:(

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't see the cult following for the Google phone though like Apple had. 99% of the people in the last 4 years I've had a Nexus phone ask me "Is that the new iPhone?"..........:(

But it's no skin off Google's back if they open up to multiple carriers. More than likely they just don't have enough inventory (which was supposedly Apple's reason, BTW) and they don't yet know what the market for Pixel is going to look like.

Also, probably doesn't directly solve anyone's problem, but the Pixels are being sold by Best Buy ( pixel - Best Buy ) but only with Verizon activation (as nearly as I can tell...).

Actually, I'm not sure about the "requires activation" part...

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm quite certain the iPhone didn't have that following when it was originally introduced

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
But it's no skin off Google's back if they open up to multiple carriers. More than likely they just don't have enough inventory (which was supposedly Apple's reason, BTW) and they don't yet know what the market for Pixel is going to look like.

Also, probably doesn't directly solve anyone's problem, but the Pixels are being sold by Best Buy ( pixel - Best Buy ) but only with Verizon activation (as nearly as I can tell...).

Actually, I'm not sure about the "requires activation" part...

I love my experience with the Nexus 5 and Nexus 6, I hope they sell a boatload of Pixels.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member