GPS problems

Ecir Hana

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

all of sudden my GPS stopped to work. I mean, when I'm in Maps I only get this "Your current location is currently unavailable". But it worked before.

Was it because I erased my device? Perhaps new Maps came out and I didn't notice the upgrade? Is this "common" issue?

Please, does anyone know what happened? I read a few threads here, some people seem to be experiencing the same issue. I have 4.0.2, I don't see any new updates.

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm using 4.0.2 on Rogers. I did the upgrade for Google Maps, and it seems to work just fine (no issues before or after). Try deleting Maps and re-installing it from Google Play? Also double check to make sure you've got GPS and location settings turned on. (You might have disabled them by accident or had them turned off by default -- worth double checking it)

Last edited:

tknepher

May 21, 2011
Visit site
My GPS quit working recently, too. I noticed that apps couldn't find me without coverage. I checked the settings and everything is on. When I'm in areas without coverage (lots of them close by me), my Galaxy Tab finds 14 satellites and tracks fine on a downloaded map, but the phone finds zero. I'm afraid it just isn't looking.

I called my company, Credo, and their tech support could only tell me that it seems to be an ICS problem and that Samsung or Sprint should fix it someday. His only alternative was to try a factory reset.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
My GPS suddenly stopped working since yesterday. it doesn't see more than 4 satellites and can't get a lock at all was working fine for these 6 days since I bought the phone. What's Interestng my GS2 Skyrocket suffered from the same issue after the ICS update and the second warranty unit did the same thing. So I'm inclined to think this problem is very common on all Samsung devices, judging from the forums. At first I thought this is the ICS issue but my GN is running Jelly Bean and GPS worked fine for 6 days. So that could be the indication of the hardware failuer. And GPS status and Toolbox never worked for me, neither on my Skyrocket nor on the GN. Any suggestions? Btw, Google customer service is awful and so is the Samsung's they offered me to send them my phone to fix and it may take up to two weeks untill I finally get it back. They refused to ship me a new device even though I'm still within my 14 day purchase period. I really should have went with the iPhone...

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
My GPS suddenly stopped working since yesterday. it doesn't see more than 4 satellites and can't get a lock at all was working fine for these 6 days since I bought the phone. What's Interestng my GS2 Skyrocket suffered from the same issue after the ICS update and the second warranty unit did the same thing. So I'm inclined to think this problem is very common on all Samsung devices, judging from the forums. At first I thought this is the ICS issue but my GN is running Jelly Bean and GPS worked fine for 6 days. So that could be the indication of the hardware failuer. And GPS status and Toolbox never worked for me, neither on my Skyrocket nor on the GN. Any suggestions? Btw, Google customer service is awful and so is the Samsung's they offered me to send them my phone to fix and it may take up to two weeks untill I finally get it back. They refused to ship me a new device even though I'm still within my 14 day purchase period. I really should have went with the iPhone...

GPS on this phone is weak one of the main reasons I am switching back to the GS3 since they can get easy lock on GPS satellites and more than the nexus can for the same performance, now if you dont mind the GPS the nexus is still a steal for 350 bucks.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Well I do mind it a lot in fact. I really depend on GPS. So I went ahead and used my early line upgrade to get an iPhone 4S.... Finally....

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
GPS on this phone is weak one of the main reasons I am switching back to the GS3 since they can get easy lock on GPS satellites and more than the nexus can for the same performance, now if you dont mind the GPS the nexus is still a steal for 350 bucks.

Has it really always had weak GPS? I've never had an issue locking GPS in < 10 seconds. This is really weird though, been sitting with Maps open for a few minutes now and it can't locate me. Never had this issue and have changed nothing on my phone. Running 4.1.1.

Well I do mind it a lot in fact. I really depend on GPS. So I went ahead and used my early line upgrade to get an iPhone 4S.... Finally....

To each their own. Have fun with your iPhone :) . I think the least you should have done is waited 2 months and gotten the iPhone 5...

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Seems to be a widespread problem. I'm having issues also.

GPS All of a Sudden Not Locking - xda-developers
There are some people In this link you gave, suggesting that there might be a solar storm causing this issue but I don't think so. Like I said I started having this problem about a month ago with the Skyrocket ICS leak. And after the SR was finally officially updated to ICS almost everyone started reporting it. I think the real reasons are very bad QA and poor build materials used by Samsung. This is my third device by Samsung suffering from the same issue. This is no coincidence here, but rather an indication of a very poor quality product (my Galaxy Nexus also has a faint bright vertical line across the screen and they refused to exchange the phone which I had for less than a week). Thanks but no thanks. I can't afford to have issues like this with the tool I use everyday for work and personal things. I wish the nexus was built by Motorola, at least I never had any issues with my Arix not on Froyo nor on Gingerbread.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
There are some people In this link you gave, suggesting that there might be a solar storm causing this issue but I don't think so. Like I said I started having this problem about a month ago with the Skyrocket ICS leak. And after the SR was finally officially updated to ICS almost everyone started reporting it. I think the real reasons are very bad QA and poor build materials used by Samsung. This is my third device by Samsung suffering from the same issue. This is no coincidence here, but rather an indication of a very poor quality product (my Galaxy Nexus also has a faint bright vertical line across the screen and they refused to exchange the phone which I had for less than a week). Thanks but no thanks. I can't afford to have issues like this with the tool I use everyday for work and personal things. I wish the nexus was built by Motorola, at least I never had any issues with my Arix not on Froyo nor on Gingerbread.

How do you explain the fact that my phone has had perfect < 10 sec GPS locks since Feb 1, all the way from stock 4.0.1 to stock 4.1.1, and I just started having issues? This isn't a hardware quality problem. The GNex is not at all known for having a bad GPS chip or bad GPS locks.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Has it really always had weak GPS? I've never had an issue locking GPS in < 10 seconds. This is really weird though, been sitting with Maps open for a few minutes now and it can't locate me. Never had this issue and have changed nothing on my phone. Running 4.1.1.

To each their own. Have fun with your iPhone :) . I think the least you should have done is waited 2 months and gotten the iPhone 5...
I sold my skyrocket on amazon after I got the GN and since I'm sending back this POS I need some kind of a smartphone for my things to do. I can't be without a phone waiting for the mysterious iphone 5 to come out

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
How do you explain the fact that my phone has had perfect < 10 sec GPS locks since Feb 1, all the way from stock 4.0.1 to stock 4.1.1, and I just started having issues? This isn't a hardware quality problem. The GNex is not at all known for having a bad GPS chip or bad GPS locks.
It could be the software issue as well. but you see, it's just waaaay too overwhelming for me having to go through three different devices sending them back and getting the new ones just to discover the same problem. I don't care if it's a software or a hardware issue the quality assurance is clearly lacking here in either aspect and I simply have no time to dig the forums and reflash various roms and whatnot. I've been an android user for 3 years and this is my first iPhone never thought I'd come to that. Sorry not trying to start an argument here or anything just really pissed off after what I've went through with three different devices.
Edit: should I also mention the frustration with practically nonexistent Google/Samsung customer service which greatly affected my choice to go with a fruit phone.

Last edited:

neshyd

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
This happened to me this morning. I was on my way driving and for a good 10 minutes the GPS just wouldn't get a fix! I just kept driving though and slowly but surely, the blue radius around the icon got smaller and smaller until I got a perfect lock. Throughout the day I used GPS/Navigation to get around and the fix was instantaneous.

I think it's one of those issues that might go away after a couple days or so. For me at least.

Thirsty1

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Had my Gnex for 20 days with no problem. GPS lock stopped on Friday. Running it pure stock so far. My rooted Thunderbolt on the other hand works fine. Is it a gsm or a Samsung thing? Looked around but can not seem to find a good answer.

Pimp Lucious

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
It could be the software issue as well. but you see, it's just waaaay too overwhelming for me having to go through three different devices sending them back and getting the new ones just to discover the same problem. I don't care if it's a software or a hardware issue the quality assurance is clearly lacking here in either aspect and I simply have no time to dig the forums and reflash various roms and whatnot. I've been an android user for 3 years and this is my first iPhone never thought I'd come to that. Sorry not trying to start an argument here or anything just really pissed off after what I've went through with three different devices.
Edit: should I also mention the frustration with practically nonexistent Google/Samsung customer service which greatly affected my choice to go with a fruit phone.

We get it dude. Enjoy your iPhone. Be sure to check out some of those apple forums, you might find some pretty persistent and widespread problems affecting the iPhone. Anyhow, this definitely appears to be some type of server side software issue. Too many folks started having the issue at the exact same time.

Last edited:

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
it must be the software bug in the JB, Saying its a server issue its like saying my TomTom or Garmin navigator can't get a lock because its a server issue, the GPS module does not need internet to connect to the server. it connects directly to the satellites, it has nothing to do with any servers or internet at all. like i said in my earlier posts here, and in the Skyrocket forum, I started having this issues for more than a month ago with ICS leak for the SR and i was stunned when this happend with my Galaxy Nexus. either the software issue or Samsung specific issue, or both combined. idk if other people on HTC or Motorola etc. devices experience the same thing.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
it must be the software bug in the JB, Saying its a server issue its like saying my TomTom or Garmin navigator can't get a lock because its a server issue, the GPS module does not need internet to connect to the server. it connects directly to the satellites, it has nothing to do with any servers or internet at all. like i said in my earlier posts here, and in the Skyrocket forum, I started having this issues for more than a month ago with ICS leak for the SR and i was stunned when this happend with my Galaxy Nexus. either the software issue or Samsung specific issue, or both combined. idk if other people on HTC or Motorola etc. devices experience the same thing.

Its not a phone software issue simply because it worked perfectly on 4.1 and 4.1.1 up until this point. You gotta remember that these phones get listings of satellites and A-GPS data from Google, so a bad server-side mixup could easily be the cause of this (and seems most likely right now). It doesn't operate GPS in the same way a TomTom does. And even those stand-alone GPS units phone home for updates occasionally.

Had my Gnex for 20 days with no problem. GPS lock stopped on Friday. Running it pure stock so far. My rooted Thunderbolt on the other hand works fine. Is it a gsm or a Samsung thing? Looked around but can not seem to find a good answer.

CDMA phones rarely actually use GPS. They're using network tower triangulation to give you most of your location data. And Verizon-branded devices wouldn't have the same issue as a stock Android device that gets its GPS data from Google.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress