[HOW-TO] ╰╮╰╮REVOLUTIONARY╰╮╰╮ Get S-OFF, Recovery and Perm-Root!

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO] ╰╮╰╮REVOLUTIONARY╰╮╰╮ Get S-OFF, Recovery and Perm-R

Good call...as of now I am not adding that to my directions. I have seen A LOT of issues with Clockwork Mod in my previous endeavors. If anyone would like to take the easy way out and use clockwork mod, By all means do so. I am still going to stricktly offer TWRP until they get all the kinks worked out of CWM. Thank you for the info tho and I will post that it is an option. Good find and thank you.

Reactions: CarrieK

MeltMan274

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site

Not a problem, so far (though your mileage will always vary), it seems to be working decently. I can factory reset without issue on CWM, mount USB, and flash zips/roms. The only issue seems (thus far for me, once again, mileage will vary), it is very slow to reboot the phone when you issue the reboot command (took about three minutes.)

Still, it means hopefully CM7 nightlies may come soon since they're be flashable now.

Thanks again for the great thread :)

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

Yes... I too want a fully supported CM7 build. Hoping that they will since this phone is a BEAST!

MeltMan274

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site

Mostly, I'm hoping they can resolve the 3D camera issues, since updates from HTC on it are slow. Hate having to force close my camera after a few shots.

KeeganDoomFire

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site

Well that was 2 hours more difficult then rooting my pre- but I did it. had to call sprint error code 16.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Am I missing something? I keep seeing people saying how difficult and long this took. It took me literally 3 maybe 4 minutes max to get S off then flash the SU zip.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

scrosler

ROM Developer
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

Am I missing something? I keep seeing people saying how difficult and long this took. It took me literally 3 maybe 4 minutes max to get S off then flash the SU zip.

Nope. Its that easy.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Just checking:p on another note a tried hotspot tether today on 4g and had no issues. The 4g icon stayed visible the entire time and I used my itouch tethered to my phone and streamed Pandora for over a half hour before I shut it off. So I have to say this is a very solid stripped down version of the stock Os. Can't wait to see what else you want to offer us! You ever need beta testers hit me up ;-)

cosmos0001

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

After phone was set to debug, revolutionary.exe opened, command prompt..waiting for device.... .... then no key? oh well
htc evo 3d {}windows vista pc
:-\
maybe i shouldnt have tried so I stopped.
But I'd like to ask anyone who has rooted this phone a few questions before I decide to try again..
if anyone has time..
Can I root the phone, then remove crap man lol and crap hornet lol and other programs I wish I wish immediately or is there more steps involved?
does the factory user interface stay exactly the same?
ty

davidsayz86

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

i am so lost i did part 1. but i cannt do part 2
Open a command prompt and change the directory to where you have your "sdk\tools" folder installed.

For me it looks like this... C:\android-sdk-windows\tools\

Place the downloaded image file into the same directory.

Reboot phone into Bootloader. "Vol Down + Power"

Select Fastboot

Once your phone is in Fastboot mode run this command from the command prompt.

"fastboot flash recovery C:\android-sdk-windows\tools\recovery-twrp-shooter-1.0.0.img" - WITHOUT THE QUOTATIONS.

Once it completes tell the Bootloader to Reboot phone.

TADA! Now you have a working Recovery!

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

i am so lost i did part 1. but i cannt do part 2
Open a command prompt and change the directory to where you have your "sdk\tools" folder installed.

For me it looks like this... C:\android-sdk-windows\tools\

Place the downloaded image file into the same directory.

Reboot phone into Bootloader. "Vol Down + Power"

Select Fastboot

Once your phone is in Fastboot mode run this command from the command prompt.

"fastboot flash recovery C:\android-sdk-windows\tools\recovery-twrp-shooter-1.0.0.img" - WITHOUT THE QUOTATIONS.

Once it completes tell the Bootloader to Reboot phone.

TADA! Now you have a working Recovery!

Problem solved!
Pretty cool, that was the first time I walked someone through the process.

newboyx

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

After phone was set to debug, revolutionary.exe opened, command prompt..waiting for device.... .... then no key? oh well
htc evo 3d {}windows vista pc
:-\
maybe i shouldnt have tried so I stopped.
But I'd like to ask anyone who has rooted this phone a few questions before I decide to try again..
if anyone has time..
Can I root the phone, then remove crap man lol and crap hornet lol and other programs I wish I wish immediately or is there more steps involved?
does the factory user interface stay exactly the same?
ty

The phone interface will look exactly the same after you root

It only changed if you install a custom ROM that has changes, or if you change it yourself.

Reactions: cosmos0001

cosmos0001

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

Hello, I got s off and revolutionary at the top. cmd prompt asked to install Recovery. I said yes, but failed 3 times. SHould I start now with step 2?
if so when did we download "sdk\tools" folder?

Last edited:

jkid506

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

Hello, I got s off and revolutionary at the top. cmd prompt asked to install Recovery. I said yes, but failed 3 times. SHould I start now with step 2?

thats what i want to know

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

You must have sdk on your computer before you begin the process. Refer to the requirements in the second post on page 1. Depending on what version of Windows you have and whether or not it is 32 or 64 bit will determine where the tools folder is located.

cosmos0001

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: [HOW-TO] ╰╮╰╮REVOLUTIONARY╰╮╰╮

You must have sdk on your computer before you begin the process. Refer to the requirements in the second post on page 1. Depending on what version of Windows you have and whether or not it is 32 or 64 bit will determine where the tools folder is located.
many thanks sir. the writer just mentioned must have JAVA SDK and in his part 2 he uses an adroid SDK. im not sure but I dont think they are the same. anyway 3 Gb to download Java se JDK! holy cow! (is there a thread on this sdk stuff? plus I dont have a 64 bit cpu. I also dont remember the author mentioning having to contact sprint to refresh your phone after s-off. Scary cal..hahah you all are very helpful and I appriciate the tim.e . sucks I just wanted to delete the crappy apps and have to go through developer crap to do it. I reverted back to original ROM after Recovery failed to autoload.

Reactions: CarrieK

jondevere

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

many thanks sir. the writer just mentioned must have JAVA SDK and in his part 2 he uses an adroid SDK. im not sure but I dont think they are the same. anyway 3 Gb to download Java se JDK! holy cow! (is there a thread on this sdk stuff? plus I dont have a 64 bit cpu. I also dont remember the author mentioning having to contact sprint to refresh your phone after s-off. Scary cal..hahah you all are very helpful and I appriciate the tim.e . sucks I just wanted to delete the crappy apps and have to go through developer crap to do it. I reverted back to original ROM after Recovery failed to autoload.
Good Call! I meant Android SDK. I just updated the posting. Also, most of us DONT have to call Sprint. This does happen sometimes. The recovery that is trying to install in the S OFF portion is Clockworkmod Recovery... It doesn't install for almost everyone that runs the tool. The second portion will install the TWRP recovery, which I feel is much better. Thank you for the heads up on the Java vs Android SDK :)

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

Good Call! I meant Android SDK. I just updated the posting. Also, most of us DONT have to call Sprint. This does happen sometimes. The recovery that is trying to install in the S OFF portion is Clockworkmod Recovery... It doesn't install for almost everyone that runs the tool. The second portion will install the TWRP recovery, which I feel is much better. Thank you for the heads up on the Java vs Android SDK :)

Good catch! I didn't notice because I already had all the tools downloaded from when I started rooting way back with the Optimus S.