Wifi hotspot working but....

mikeinaustin

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
First, I downloaded foxfi directly from their site since sprint is blocking it from the app store. I turned it on and my iPad can connect to it. However, even though I setup foxfi to require a wpa2 password, the iPad is not asking for one, it simply connects. Any ideas ?

Second, for fun, I turned on sprints hotspot app and to my surprise my iPad found my phone and I could connect via wifi. With the sprint hotspot app, the iPad does require I enter a password. Here is the weird part, I do not subscribe to any of the sprint hotspot add on plans. Some type of free trial ?

Can one of you try foxfi or the sprint app to see if you can tether ? This is specifically for those of you who do not pay sprint a monthly hotspot fee.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
It kind of... doesn't work.

Instead of the Network Name that I specified in FoxFi, I see an unsecure network called "AndroidAP"; the first time I turned it on, FoxFi turned off on its own after about 30 seconds.

FoxFi's app description does say, "WiFi mode does NOT work on Motorola Droid 1, Motorola Triumph, Samsung Admire, LG Revolution or any HTC phones, use Bluetooth mode instead."

So I guess he means it sort of works, but not fully.

mikeinaustin

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I just tried foxfi on my wife's old 4g and it gives an error stating foxfi can't work on htc phones because of "htc hotspot lock". Well this error does not occur on our htc lte phones. You can connect and pass data, you just can't password protect the connection.

loujennings4

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Both foxfi and sprint hotspot app are working on my OG EVO and Samsung Galaxy Tab. I also don't have hotspot service on my sprint account but it's working for some reason.

MX1510

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Turned on hotspot today just to see how far it would let me go before popping up a "error" or "service not installed" message and for some reason it worked. I do not have foxfi and I do not have the hotspot service for my phone but for some reason it let me connect my laptop with no problems, craziest part is that it was actually pretty quick. Maybe it's got something to do with the EVO LTE being able to use voice and data over 3G?

mikeinaustin

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Well my sprint hotspot is still working and is still free, I have no idea why. Anyone else want to try? My wife has the galaxy s3 and hers throws an error when we try to turn on sprints hotspot.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I thought they started charging for sprint hotspot after you fired it up and started using it. Watch for a charge on your bill.

lvs3

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
It kind of... doesn't work.

Instead of the Network Name that I specified in FoxFi, I see an unsecure network called "AndroidAP"; the first time I turned it on, FoxFi turned off on its own after about 30 seconds.

FoxFi's app description does say, "WiFi mode does NOT work on Motorola Droid 1, Motorola Triumph, Samsung Admire, LG Revolution or any HTC phones, use Bluetooth mode instead."

So I guess he means it sort of works, but not fully.

I recently installed FoxFi and had this same issue. After changing the SSID or setting a password, you need to reboot the phone. After I rebooted, my computers saw the SSID I named and requried the password.

BoredandTattooed

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I use FoxFi without issue on sprint... Ssid changed, password everything...

I emailed HTC once about the OGEvo having the "lock", they said ICS prevents it from being locked and that's why it works on the LTE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87