2.2 Froyo Update - Report & Find Solutions to Issues Here (post #1 & 2 updated 8/8)

aurialus

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Really dumb front-facing camera bugs. When you uncheck mirror mode, it shows the image upside-down. Also, as soon as I take a picture, the screen goes a lot darker on the front-facing cam and the pictures all show up that way - WAY darker than they should be. Dumb. (Not that I take pictures of myself ever, so I guess it doesn't matter. Haven't had a chance to try video chat to see if that's screwed up.)

godzillinois

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I read the re-cap on the first page and looked through the first couple pages in this thread but I have not seen this problem yet:

Is anyone else having problems with your visual pattern screen lock? At first it stopped asking for it whenever I unlocked the phone despite my settings being the same, I restarted the phone and sometimes the visual pattern lock works but most of the time I can just slide the phone on without it asking for a visual password.

Also I heard rumors that Froyo is supposed to make the Evo run cooler, anyone with overheating issues see an improvement?

Kimcheenation

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Froyo Issues

1. Battery life is a huge issue

2. Advanced Task Killer no longer works

I guess that explains the huge battery drain...I guess I have to uninstall ALL my apps so that I could even use my phone.

I waited this long for Froyo and this is all I get??!! Nothing special about this upgrade, except being able to play flash content. LED flash light sucks, they already had apps for that already. Why don't they fix the FPS issue IF it is a software issue.

I hope HTC/Google are looking into a fix ASAP.

Buckeyes

May 31, 2010
Visit site
When I want to type a new message, if I go to the top of the screen where it says + New Message, nothing happens. I have to go to menu, and then new. Not a big deal, just something I noticed.

luvevo

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Issues with Froyo update on my Evo

First of all, I am new to android; just switched from VZW and bb. I got my Evo a month ago.

Now, background of my Evo first. Had problems with my visual voicemail being sent to a non-existent number which happened to be a part of my IMSI #. Sprint store did a factory reset ant it seemed to work. I had a problem with sprint nav and the sprint tech support got me to do a factory reset by dialing "##786#, and after that my visual voicemail had the same problem. So, they told me to do another factory reset. It did not work yet, and a couple of days later another factor reset, and some other adjustment by the rep over the phone, and the vvm issue got fixed. But, I noticed that my browser was going slow.

So finally, got the Froyo yesterday evening. was ecstatic. Update went smooth. And, I was playing with the new features overnight.

This morning I began noticing a few issues, some of which have been mentioned before:

1. Advanced task killer is not really working. It can't kill the Music app, and even after a fresh kill, it still shows that pretty much everything is running. So, i uninstalled the ATK and am now using App manager to force close the apps I dont want running.

2. Internet browser opens with the last page visited instead of the home page. So, now I use app manager to force close it at the end of using the browser.

3. Flash 10.1: tried the Top 10 Best Flash Websites of 2010 to see what froyo did. So, tried hbo...says "hbo.com isn ow a flash site. your device does not support Flash. Please choose from one of the following options...." Tried other flash sites on that list...some worked, some like "Get the glass" worked upto a point, could not "play" though...

Please advise what to do. Should I do a reset by "dialing ##786#" or pressing the "Factory Data reset" under Personal Data uder SD & Phone storage in Settings? or are they both the same?

Look forward to some kind guidance. I am tired of spending more than 8 hours on the phone with the sprint tech support...
Thanks a lot in advance.
May our Evo/Froyo work like it is supposed to.

bassmanxu

May 7, 2010
Visit site

I guess that explains the huge battery drain...I guess I have to uninstall ALL my apps so that I could even use my phone.

I waited this long for Froyo and this is all I get??!! Nothing special about this upgrade, except being able to play flash content. LED flash light sucks, they already had apps for that already. Why don't they fix the FPS issue IF it is a software issue.

I have never used a task killer but I am experiencing the same battery life problem....

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

I had the battery issue after my update. I updated to 2.2 last night. this morning after being off the charger for 3 hours with almost no usage I was at 50%. I usually make it 10 hours or more, with my standard usage patterns, before I hit 50%.

I double checked all my sync settings and found some had been reenabled. I reset them to not auto sync (Stocks, etc).

I also went into the Sprint Zone app and Menu > Settings and unchecked all the options and told it not to update unless the application was opened.

After doing those things my battery usage flattened out and seemed to return to normal. After an hour I'd only lost 2%. It still seems to be holding on reasonably well.

I'm anxious to see how it does tomorrow after a clean charge and a clean start.

I doubt ATK is the source of your battery woes. Killing all apps is really just patching the issue. If you can track down which ones are causing the drain you'll be much better off.

Hopefully tweaking your sync settings will help. Believe me I was there this morning and it was extremely frustrating.

Last edited:

Ashton

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Different issue...maybe I'm crazy.

I have experienced a weird issue since getting Android 2.2 When I press some people's picture in both the People app and Google Talk a phone icon shows up twice even if I have only one number for them. When I select the second phone icon an option comes up asking me to select an application to complete the action. This second phone icon only comes up when I'm signed into Google Talk and only for individuals that are on my Google Talk contacts. I think it is wanting to send an instant message of some sort but Google Talk is not an option as an application to open (which is what I would want to use) nor does Meebo show up as it used to in that location. It only seems to only occur when Google Talk is up and running. Any advice?

PGiovanni

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Lucky

i must just be lucky....neither mine nor my wifes EVO is experiencing any problems, except browser, changed it to on demand now works great, even ATK is working properly

pined-apple

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have to admit that I had most of the issues listed above after the update - and then the magicial decision to try that "Hard Reset" fixed everything...

Browser is now faster on 3G than before - flash content works the same as the 10.1 XDA patch. Audio is also aligned perfectly with the reset.

Weather clock is fixed without lag - and updates automatically after unlock.

Did not uninstall flashlight and camera function is working just fine - though 720 video is still only 24 fps - which is just adequate, and not good.

After unlock, it immediately goes back to the active screen - no white loading screen anymore.

Slacker is back to normal after updating it in the market to the newest version. Might be a 2.2 problem with Slacker that requires an update of the Slacker program?

Battery life has settled in nicely as I am down 20% at 6 hours unplugged. I have 6 email accounts, 4 checking @ 15 min and 2 @ 2 hours... Twitdroyd at 1 hour, with almost no voice and little texting today. I am using Handcent and the stock mail app with Gmail.

Many of the other 'issues' that are listed here may have been removed by Sprint for compatibility reasons. It's a shame to lose them, but what do you want, software updates in a timely fashion or 'that gallery from the unofficial release in the video'?

So, despite the fact that the phone didn't do a full reset, I highly recommend doing one yourself with this update. It solved all the issues I had.

I did a hard re-set, but that was a waste of time...
The issues with not being able to control apps randomly running in the background is severely still continues to consume battery power. Not sure if its that the "background sync" setting is not managing this or if the task manager is not killing apps.

With 2.1 when background data was disabled, I didn't see even close to the number of apps now that try to run in the background.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

This morning I began noticing a few issues, some of which have been mentioned before:

1. Advanced task killer is not really working. It can't kill the Music app, and even after a fresh kill, it still shows that pretty much everything is running. So, i uninstalled the ATK and am now using App manager to force close the apps I dont want running.

2. Internet browser opens with the last page visited instead of the home page. So, now I use app manager to force close it at the end of using the browser.

I am noticing the exact same thing. I use ATK to kill the extremely long list of apps it says are running and can go right back 10 seconds later and the list may be even longer. My battery is taking a pounding with this update. I was bad before but this is just plan ridiculous. I am also noticing some lag in the browser and the 720p recording now has lots of pause lagging going on that was never there before. :mad:

i think the task killer does not work. i have noticed that it will not close anything (youtube,internet,pandora you have to force close it in the app manager. i can't fined a fix.

im getting the same exact problem and the battery life is worse.

From this point forward anyone that's using a task killer and is reporting issues in this thread, will have their post deleted. There's a huge sticky on task killers, and there have been multiple warning in this thread not to use them. The reason the processes are restarting themselves is because the OS is instructing them to. Having a task manager sitting in the background restarting them over and over is not only going to hurt battery life, it is also going to impact overall performance.

Please only report issues in this thread if A) You are NOT using a task killer and B) you have done a hard reset.

Thanks,

Cory

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I read the re-cap on the first page and looked through the first couple pages in this thread but I have not seen this problem yet:

Is anyone else having problems with your visual pattern screen lock? At first it stopped asking for it whenever I unlocked the phone despite my settings being the same, I restarted the phone and sometimes the visual pattern lock works but most of the time I can just slide the phone on without it asking for a visual password.

Also I heard rumors that Froyo is supposed to make the Evo run cooler, anyone with overheating issues see an improvement?

They added a timeout value to the screen lock - I believe the default value is 5 minutes. This means the screen won't lock until you've left it alone for 5 minutes.

On 2.1 the screen would lock immediately after it went black, now you can set it to wait for a few minutes before requiring the pattern lock.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Really dumb front-facing camera bugs. When you uncheck mirror mode, it shows the image upside-down. Also, as soon as I take a picture, the screen goes a lot darker on the front-facing cam and the pictures all show up that way - WAY darker than they should be. Dumb. (Not that I take pictures of myself ever, so I guess it doesn't matter. Haven't had a chance to try video chat to see if that's screwed up.)

When I want to type a new message, if I go to the top of the screen where it says + New Message, nothing happens. I have to go to menu, and then new. Not a big deal, just something I noticed.

I have experienced a weird issue since getting Android 2.2 When I press some people's picture in both the People app and Google Talk a phone icon shows up twice even if I have only one number for them. When I select the second phone icon an option comes up asking me to select an application to complete the action. This second phone icon only comes up when I'm signed into Google Talk and only for individuals that are on my Google Talk contacts. I think it is wanting to send an instant message of some sort but Google Talk is not an option as an application to open (which is what I would want to use) nor does Meebo show up as it used to in that location. It only seems to only occur when Google Talk is up and running. Any advice?

The messaging app is slower. When i try to go back from veiwing a message it take a second or two. Before it was instant

Car dock / Car panel does not orient itself to landscape mode when the phone is rotated. I know this is working for some people but it flat out doesn't work for me. I did the Tuesday upgrade, no task killers, bone stock.

Also, I also have the video playback glitch where movies stutter and then are fine the second time around. This isn't just for 720p videos either - all of them do this for me.

Can anyone else duplicate the above issues? If so, I will add them to the list. I just want 2-3 people having the same issue before I post it.

Music multi-tasking issue is NOT only affected by Pandora. Please correct the first post.

(Feel free to test: Run Google Nav + HTC's stock music app. It will pause and not resume)

Noted. Will update post #1.

I have to admit that I had most of the issues listed above after the update - and then the magicial decision to try that "Hard Reset" fixed everything...

That's awesome. I wish more people would do this. It would save a lot of time and frustration, and would allow us to compile an accurate bug list.

luvevo

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to clarify something. When you say do a hard reset, what do you mean?
Should I do a reset by "dialing ##786#" or pressing the "Factory Data reset" under Personal Data uder SD & Phone storage in Settings, or following the step-by-step instructions you posted at the beginning of the thread? are they all the same?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699