Problems with swype on 2.2 froyo? Or just want a cool skin? Click here!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Looking for swype? Or just want a cool skin? Click here!

I thought I'd share a cool swype skin and help people having trouble with swype because I'm sick of seeing the same questions asked 5,000 times.

If you just want to check out the skins or if you have never had swype, skip to 4.

1. Un-install swype
2. Reinstall swype
3. Still not working? Continue..
4. Allow unknown apps via settings>applications>check the box
5. Uninstall all versions of swype currently on your device.
EDIT: STEP 6 HAS BEEN REMOVED DUE TO THE LINK DIRECTING TO A SITE THAT CONTAINS A THEMED SWYPE APK FILE. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD A THEME FILE INSTEAD A THEMED SWYPE APK THEN YOU CAN GO AHEAD AND POST IT BUT IF YOU DO PUT THE APK BACK UP THEN THIS THREAD WILL BE CLOSED AND/OR BANNING MIGHT FOLLOW (THANK YOU--- BRETT)
This Version of swype works for me always, I didn't even have to re-install when updating, it is confirmed not to ever expire.
7. Swype to your hearts content.

I have the version of swype that's on the galaxy s phones (1.60), there's no major differences really but if you must have it PM me with your email and I'll send it to you with instructions. - kudos to splmonster for this.

I now have the 1.61 version of swype, works great. PM me with your email and I'll email it to ya with instructions. -kudos to rustypixel for this. [FYI 1.61 is not as good as 1.60 IMO, and they both look the same]

The 1.61, and 1.60 are not custom skinned and are stock colors (dark gray and blue) for those who don't like the red or green flavors.

All versions have been confirmed to work on other phones besides the evo also, if it doesn't, let me know.

If this helped, thank button and leave a comment, don't be a lurker!
Cheers.

EDIT-The link that was removed had broke anyways, i cannot send anymore versions by email either. I will help anyone out the best I can without bending out breaking the rules here on AC. Anyone with new info is encouraged to post it here, keep everyone up too speed. Sorry guys.

Last edited:

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
is there a skin that'll make Swype look similar to the stock HTC EVO white/gray keyboard?

Not that I know of but I'll keep an eye out.
You don't like the green and black or red and black skins?

Search keyboards in the market actually, I think there might be a swype-like app that look similar to stock evo. No idea how good it is or if it will even work. Good luck.

tracerit

May 16, 2010
Visit site
i'm a pretty simple person, black and gray are my favorite colors, most of my phone is themed black and monotone. i just never found a dark colored keyboard to be to my taste though

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
i'm a pretty simple person, black and gray are my favorite colors, most of my phone is themed black and monotone. i just never found a dark colored keyboard to be to my taste though

Each to there own I suppose, I have the green and black HTC skin on mine :p

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I just found Swype through a manual download... I am so in love with it. I can't believe how amazing this keyboard is. It's taking practice but I can already tell that I'm going to be able to type faster with it than the stock keyboard. This should come stock on all Android phones.

Also, I'm running 2.2 and had no issues with a fresh install.

So if you do not already have Swype then go hunt it down it's worth it.

Gelst

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the red and black swype and its fantastic. Thanks for posting the link

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

emeraldayotte

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
LOVE this keyboard and converted from the stock HTC one. My only complaint would be the dictionary and how you can't remove some of the weird entries it adds.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

ronlw34

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't sure if I would like it but it's very easy to use and I like it better than the stock keyboard, Thanks for the link to download.

yanks4life

May 14, 2010
Visit site
igotsanevo4g, hey man thanks for the link I just got the Red Theme and its f'n awesome, I love it, thanks again. Just FYI I already had the beta that I actually signed up for and tried to install it over it without uninstalling and it didn't work, so had to uninstall then install from the link you posted and everything works great!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
igotsanevo4g, hey man thanks for the link I just got the Red Theme and its f'n awesome, I love it, thanks again. Just FYI I already had the beta that I actually signed up for and tried to install it over it without uninstalling and it didn't work, so had to uninstall then install from the link you posted and everything works great!

Welcome man, swype is the bomb.

manhattanmarg

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
um - I have the same question - can't seem to find it in the App Market - all that shows up when I type Swype is "myTextSpeed" by mydroidsoft. I would be thrilled to give thanks to anyone who can answer that question, so that I could then thank igotsanevo4G :)