[HERO ROM] Gumbo ROM project - in Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
The apps I had installed are still working, so I suppose that's an unexpected plus. Phone seems really snappy. The keyboard still gets on my nerves a bit, but the only other virtual keyboard I've used was the. IPhone's. Not really anything we can do about that.

The first migration from a non apps2sd ROM to one with it enabled is supposed to move installed apps, but rarely does it right ;) Glad it seems to have worked out for you. Thats all Cyanogoen. I'm using Steve's scripts and partitioning system, so I can't take any credit for it.

The final build I have here is even a bit snappier. Once the last few bugs are ironed out I plan on releasing it, along with a few add on packs and some theme packs.

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Well you've done some great work.

Is there a way for me to select what kind of transitions I want? I used your Nexus Experience patch, but think I preferred the sliding transition. If not, no big deal, I'm just curious. A nice tradeoff would be the zoom in/out transition for app open and close, and sliding for the back button.

Ali Fazel

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site

Is there a way for me to select what kind of transitions I want? I used your Nexus Experience patch, but think I preferred the sliding transition. If not, no big deal, I'm just curious. A nice tradeoff would be the zoom in/out transition for app open and close, and sliding for the back button.

scabsk8s

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
im new to android but not new to htc phones ..i have flashed many WM phones with roms but i can figure this android one out ..
can someone please tell me what i need to do to use this ROM on my hero ?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

Those would be easy to change. Just need to find the theme or ROM with transitions you like and either push the files in or make a small patch. I;ll see what can be done when I release the final version, possible with an add on.

im new to android but not new to htc phones ..i have flashed many WM phones with roms but i can figure this android one out ..
can someone please tell me what i need to do to use this ROM on my hero ?
You need to be rooted
You need to have a custom recovery image
Download and flash this ROM.

Where are you stuck?

Semantics

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
Gbhil, I really like what you've done in this ROM. Its fast, and clean, and I haven't had any issues at all. I was using Fresh 1.0, did a wipe, and installed Gumbo and its very nice. My apps2sd didn't take when I flashed, but I'm not too worried about that anyway. Excellent work, my friend!!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Semantics. I suffered a small setback when my personal phone got jacked, but back on track with a back up Hero and the final version should be out this weekend.

And yes, apps2sd is a b*tch. At this point i think the only way to have any migration work 100% using it involves a complete wipe and reload. But still...having 2 or 3 (or more) Gigs of app memory makes it one hell of a draw :)

Dr. Smith

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
The final build I have here is even a bit snappier. Once the last few bugs are ironed out I plan on releasing it, along with a few add on packs and some theme packs.

How long before your final build is released. I'm on vacation this week so I plan on rooting my hero and flashing with the gumbo. Your rom seems to not strip everything away. Except I have found the voice dialer very helpful while driving.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Right now I'm waiting on some feedback from a third party dev, whose app I would like to include in the ROM. Hopefully the delay won't be too long. If nothing else, I'll release it without the app, with simple instructions how to add it in as a system app so it doesn't take away from application space.

Voice dialer is back in BTW. I found i missed it as well.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Updated first post with final version and add on packs. Other 3rd party software may be installed via further add on packs.

Please post any and all issues, questions, or comments.

egnin1

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Hey nice rom. All is good and love it. snappy and smooth. will use this rom till the sprint rom andriod 2.1 comes out and wait for your custom 2.1 rom.. also had lots of issues with the phone when i rooted it and would go from Ev to x1 but give me Ev speed . now since i put this on all is great again with the hero. almost took this back before the 30 day ran out. Also seems to fix the outher issue i had with loosing mobile broad band. would have to reset the phone to get it back. Thanks a million. dont know why i had problems with it from just rooting.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Glad you like it. Not sure what your original problems were, and I can't take any credit for fixing them :D

There is a little tweak in here that should help connection speeds when on wifi, but other than making sure Sprint's update fixes were installed correctly I didn't do anything with mobile data.

I have made one final change, and so far testing looks good. I've done some more work on Sense and after a few more days of testing I'll probably release a small patch.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Bump -
Need one tester who has a solid backup and knows how to push /system/app apps to their device to test a new Rosie.apk . Need to make sure it's as bug free on someone elses build as it is on mine.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I've changed my optimization routine. Some of the resources had to be removed and replaced. I'm also able to use the original .odex files and don't have to testsign the new apks.

In short, I still have all but one of the original HTC backgrounds built in (not important, but something I wanted to keep) and they are still at high quality. The file size hasn't changed much, but the performance has. This isn't too important now, but with Android 2.x the Hero LCD is supposedly going to be able to display in it's native color depth (262k) and should make a huge difference in looks.

Or maybe I'm crazy. In any case Sense runs better on my phones, especially the transition between screens. It looks 99% the same, I had to change the launcher bar a bit because some of the files would not optimize enough for my tastes.

snap20091229_194835.png

Dr. Smith

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Great job. I did the one click root and added the final gumbo rom. Its sure is some good cookin on my Hero. Thanks Man. Happy Hoildays.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.