hero pro's and cons? software recommendations? etc?

mrcoyote

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Right now I'm a blackberry storm user... I'm getting annoyed despite running the latest OS.

I played with a functional Hero the other day and really like the look and fluidity of the os - but

1) I didn't see a todo app - is there something built in? or something highly recommended (something that will sync with google todo would be nice!!)

2) I didn't see a memo type app - the biggest things I use on the BB are tasks and memos - something that would also sync online for backup purposes would be nice.

2a) is there a good wordpress application that lets me post to multiple blogs?

3) do you have to reboot this phone daily/regularly to keep it working smoothly or does it just 'work'?

4) does it experience lags and pauses when trying to enter data?

5) does the screen scratch? should a person put a protector on it?

6) any other 'big' drawbacks to this device??

7) oh.. and I run 6 different email accounts on the BB - can the Hero manage this just fine? push email isn't required - as long as I can 'auto check' every 30 minutes or so.

Last edited:

billbobaggins

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a Hero but a Droid. I have friends with Hero's.
Android phones do not need rebooting and you DO NOT PULL THE BATTERY.
I came from a blackberry Tour. I keep hearing new android users that had blackberries talking about pulling the batteries on android phones. This is useless on an android phone, just power it off and back on again. I do not experience the lag I had with my Tour.
I hope this helps.

Bill.

billbobaggins

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Right now I'm a blackberry storm user... I'm getting annoyed despite running the latest OS.

I played with a functional Hero the other day and really like the look and fluidity of the os - but

1) I didn't see a todo app - is there something built in? or something highly recommended (something that will sync with google todo would be nice!!)

2) I didn't see a memo type app - the biggest things I use on the BB are tasks and memos - something that would also sync online for backup purposes would be nice.

3) do you have to reboot this phone daily/regularly to keep it working smoothly or does it just 'work'?

7) oh.. and I run 6 different email accounts on the BB - can the Hero manage this just fine? push email isn't required - as long as I can 'auto check' every 30 minutes or so.

I run 5 email accounts just fine on my Droid.
You will need to download a memo and a task app. There are some really good ones on the "market". I use Astrid and AK Notepad. There are both paid and free apps to choose from.

vw driver

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I've only "had to re-boot" once. And guess what, it takes no time compared to BB. ha. I don't think the screen is scratch prone, but I put an anti-glare BoxWave protector on mine, and love it. Its about killing glare and fingerprints as much as protection.

Ripjames

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'd put a screen protector on it if your worried about it, I havn't scratched mine so far yet but I'm thinking about doing the saw thing as vw driver did with an anti glare, you can have all your email pushed to your phone if you forward it all to your gmail account, you will need a master gmail account for the phone anyway, there is a setting where you can even have replied messages replied from where they were sent originally, pretty cool deal, I do that with my email, though on a side not you can't forward yahoo accounts if you don't have a premium yahoo account, if you have those you can set them up with imap though, there are instructions for it floating around here on the forums though I think my hero automaticlly set mine up for imap, think you can have the phone check your mail as often as every 5 mintues

hood420

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site

I have a Hero, and none of the things you mentioned should be issues.
1 & 2. There are apps available for virtually everything on Android, and in most cases good free ones are available. Check around the various Android websites for recommended apps in each category.
3. Rebooting the phone isn't necessary, but it can keep it quicker.
4. The Hero does lag sometimes, but its not enough to cause you many headaches, keeping the wifi and gps turned off when not needed helps with lag and battery life. As does using less widgets.
5. I've had mine for 3 months with no scratches, and its been dropped on concrete a few times.
6. None that I can find, unless you really need a physical keyboard.
7. No problem. You can choose your update frequency.