News about 4.2 from a VERY reliable source

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Will this update come with lock screen widgets?

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
God I hope so. It's the only feature from 4.2 that I really care about. I truly miss Dash Clock. And I never cared for Google's implementation of Notification Toggles.

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
For obvious reasons, I can't give that source out, but I don't ever post about these things unless I am sure of the truth (I think I have posted about these things maybe once or twice before). However, these several individuals let me know that Android 4.2 for HTC One has already been submitted to carriers (before US launch) and is only undergoing carrier testing until it is pushed out to consumers.

So, for T-Mobile users, it shouldn't be too far away. If Verizon had it, probably 2014. hehehe....

It's up to the carriers and that is all the wait there is. Hopefully, performance will be as reliable with 4.2 as it is with 4.1, because I would rather stay with 4.1 and have the zero issues that I am having, rather than having 4.2 with lag, stutter, and unreliable software.

I would like to see this, but man, lets be real... t mobile and htc took 7 MONTHS past the promised date to actually deliver jellybean to the one s. I am not holding my breath. If it happens, that may be the thing i need to actually push me to get the ONE and not an s4 but i would be super surprised to see this happen even in the next 4 months!

It happens because Apple is a single company and iPhone is still THE phone in the U.S. HTC doesn't have the clout or sales to bypass carriers, and Samsung doesn't care to mess with the whole issue, their time is better spent on other things. IMO.

samsung sold more s3's than the iphone i am pretty sure (could be mistaken though), but you are absolutely right, only samsung would have the clout at the moment and i dont think they really care. They have a pretty decent upgrade track record which shows they know how to work with the carriers to get their updates through.

bgesullo

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm okay with waiting. I haven't found any problems yet with this device. Loving it so far!

Sent from my HTC One using the Android Central forum app.

sprinttouch666

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
The thing about this I find hard to believe is that if HTC had already pushed the update to the carriers for approval, the dev edition would have already received the update because that model needs no carrier approval...........it receives updates directly from HTC.

djshackman

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I love android but what is it carriers and upgrades? Why can't Google control it like Apple? *not trying to start a fight. LOL

SHIFT_tapatalk 2 hTc One
I forget where I read this, but Apple's iOS updates also go through extensive carrier testing. Apple does not announce a release date for an iOS update, however, until ALL carrier testing is complete, and thus, Apple announces a date, and all users receive iOS updates simultaneously.

wpavlik2

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
My cousin's uncle's mother, who is also his sister, heard from the lady do cuts her hair who knows the guy who makes deliveries to Google who said he thought he heard something about them eating Jelly Bellies at work.

My barber's cousin KNOWS that guy!

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
The thing about this I find hard to believe is that if HTC had already pushed the update to the carriers for approval, the dev edition would have already received the update because that model needs no carrier approval...........it receives updates directly from HTC.

It is a good point. I tried asking that and I received no response.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I love android but what is it carriers and upgrades? Why can't Google control it like Apple? *not trying to start a fight. LOL

SHIFT_tapatalk 2 hTc One

I think because Android is open source. It's a positive & negative. Manufactures & carriers can do what they want because of it being this way. Apple from the beginning controls both the hardware and software. From a business standpoint I like the way Apple does it.

I've operated an I.T. company on the side for about seven years. I would much rather build my own computers & servers for business networks and residential customers, than use computers from Dell, HP etc.....with all thier crap software on it.

Having said that, I like the adavantages of Android being open and we haves roms like AOKP and Cyanogen.

anon(41962)

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Happy to hear 4.2 is on the way. For people that dont know why android updates take so long please dont just post why you think it does, and post facts. Why Android Updates Are So Slow

iOS updates come out the day they are announced because they have been submitted to the carriers long before they are announced. They take the same amount of time, its just the timing of announcing them. Google announces their releases and them sends them to manufactures, who then have to work them with their devices and then submit to carriers. Apple gets to skip one step because they are the manufacturer, but in terms of carrier testing its the same amount of time. Read the article it will help you understand the process.

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I would like to see this, but man, lets be real... t mobile and htc took 7 MONTHS past the promised date to actually deliver jellybean to the one s. I am not holding my breath. If it happens, that may be the thing i need to actually push me to get the ONE and not an s4 but i would be super surprised to see this happen even in the next 4 months!

samsung sold more s3's than the iphone i am pretty sure (could be mistaken though), but you are absolutely right, only samsung would have the clout at the moment and i dont think they really care. They have a pretty decent upgrade track record which shows they know how to work with the carriers to get their updates through.

Absolutely wrong. IPhone sales have destroyed the sales of the WHOLE galaxy series.

Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

aquaduck04

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
iOS updates come out the day they are announced because they have been submitted to the carriers long before they are announced.

iOS updates dont come out the day they are announced. The big iterations of iOS are announced in the summer and are delivered in the fall (at least have been for the past few years).

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Happy to hear 4.2 is on the way. For people that dont know why android updates take so long please dont just post why you think it does, and post facts. Why Android Updates Are So Slow

iOS updates come out the day they are announced because they have been submitted to the carriers long before they are announced. They take the same amount of time, its just the timing of announcing them. Google announces their releases and them sends them to manufactures, who then have to work them with their devices and then submit to carriers. Apple gets to skip one step because they are the manufacturer, but in terms of carrier testing its the same amount of time. Read the article it will help you understand the process.

Uhhh no carriers do not test iOS updates. All iPhone users get the upgrade at the same time.
Edit: I was mistaken. My humble apologies.
Posted via Android Central App using my Nexus 4

anon(41962)

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
iOS updates dont come out the day they are announced. The big iterations of iOS are announced in the summer and are delivered in the fall (at least have been for the past few years).

I'm going off what I read in the article which seemed to be pretty thorough and talk to people from all sides of the industry. Since I'm guessing you didn't take the time to read it I'll give you this passage.

"This is one of the greatest illusions in the tech game. Apple announces the new version of iOS, and wham! You can download it on your phone within a day or two. How did Apple manage to skip that exhaustive carrier-testing that everyone else had to go through? It didn't. It had to jump through the same hoops as the Android manufacturers; the only difference is that Apple jumped through them before it announced the update."

From what I remember they announce the update, and usually within the next couple days you have the update out. Its the actual Iphone that comes out in fall. But please send me dates of announcement and availability. I would love to have my facts straight.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm going off what I read in the article which seemed to be pretty thorough and talk to people from all sides of the industry. Since I'm guessing you didn't take the time to read it I'll give you this passage.

"This is one of the greatest illusions in the tech game. Apple announces the new version of iOS, and wham! You can download it on your phone within a day or two. How did Apple manage to skip that exhaustive carrier-testing that everyone else had to go through? It didn't. It had to jump through the same hoops as the Android manufacturers; the only difference is that Apple jumped through them before it announced the update."

From what I remember they announce the update, and usually within the next couple days you have the update out. Its the actual Iphone that comes out in fall. But please send me dates of announcement and availability. I would love to have my facts straight.

In todays world -

I am guessing with iPhone, it goes more like this "we have an update we are releasing on such and such date (set date in future)" have it tested by then or you wont get future upgrades and your customers will be pissed.

If an android phone tried to do that, more likey the tables would be turned and the carriers would say, "...fine, don't update the phone."

In the future this may change, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa