Things you love about the new HTC One (M8)

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm loving the faster charging times. Can't wait to see how much faster QuickCharge 2.0 will be once the chargers are available. And the battery life is also greatly improved over the M7.

It's just an all-around great phone. Love it.

adriandb

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
So after listening to the Android Central podcasts about the device I went and played with it for about 45 mins the other day and a local verizon store. The thing feels great in the hand. I find it hard to believe that anyone coming from an M7 will find this heavy, it's basically the same weight. The screen is bright and beautiful, though with the on screen buttons it isn't any taller than my M7, just slightly wider. The speakers sound not only louder but clearer, especially at the top end. the software makes my M7 feel slow, which is something I never expected.

Overall it seems like a great device, definitely the best android device available at the moment, I just wish they had addressed the camera issues.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
So after listening to the Android Central podcasts about the device I went and played with it for about 45 mins the other day and a local verizon store. The thing feels great in the hand. I find it hard to believe that anyone coming from an M7 will find this heavy, it's basically the same weight. The screen is bright and beautiful, though with the on screen buttons it isn't any taller than my M7, just slightly wider. The speakers sound not only louder but clearer, especially at the top end. the software makes my M7 feel slow, which is something I never expected.

Overall it seems like a great device, definitely the best android device available at the moment, I just wish they had addressed the camera issues.

All it takes is a little hands on experience to realize how good of a device it is.

Instead of Gary Oldman telling everyone to ask the internet, maybe he should be telling people to go and try it out for themselves

Posted via Android Central App

chilledbeer

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Things you love about the new HTC One M8

Ok, I think I spoke too soon after getting the phone. Initially the phone only gave me 2.5 to 3 hours of on screen use. Then it started improving after clearing the dalvik and wipe. And improved even further. These days, with moderate use I'm left with 50% battery when I hit the bed at 11 PM. I take my phone off charge at 6 AM in the morning. So, yes - very happy!!!

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
There are so many things:
  • Build quality and hand feel
  • That gorgeous gorgeous screen. Colors are just right, not too dull, not overly vivid. Lively w/o being retina-searing.
  • Speed: this thing doesn't just fly, it soars!
  • Zoes & highlights
  • Camera speed and flexibility in dealing with dim or bright lighting
  • I liked blinkfeed before, but it's really matured and is even better now
  • Sound. The speakers are excellent, but it's the great sound for headphones that matters most to me
  • Sense: I've always liked it, but it too continues to mature. After detouring through a couple other phones coming back to Sense shows me how well designed it is.
  • Battery life: best ever!

Last edited:

Harime

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I came from a Sony Xperia Z1, and couldn't be happier with the HTC One M8.

- The build quality is outstanding, much nicer to hold in your hands and prettier.
- The screen is very, very good. The one in the Z1 was mediocre, viewing angles were terrible so when I turned on the M8 i couldn't hold my first "wow". Better color, better angles, outstanding.
- Speakers BLOW AWAY the Z1, there is no possible comparison, the sound in the HTC is unbelievable. I showed it to my girlfriend and she said the second "wow" (she owns a Z1).
- Super snappy performance, completely smooth transitions, minimize, restore and multitask. Sense 6 is a fine piece of software. Highlights works fine but I still find Flipboard better.
- The camera, despite the hardware of the Z1 being better, gets better results than the Z1. The Sony phone has extremely terrible software that makes the pictures grainy and blurry, when the HTC One makes pictures quite sharp and noise-free (love the focus speed).
- Battery life is a bit shorter than the Z1, but 3000mah vs 2600mah had to show somewhere. Anyway, more than a day and a half in one charge for the One M8 is a very good performance.
- The sound while listening to music on my 150? Sennheiser headphones is SO MUCH BETTER than with the Sony.
- Tap to wake is very useful, I rarely use the power button anymore.

Software feels much more solid, build quality is impressive, good camera, incredibly gorgeous screen and sound.

I love this phone

Jp5Cj2FGK3

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Apart from what everybody has mentioned already, another thing I like about the HTC is the Mail app. It's so clean and polished. I especially like the way it does Conversation view. I usually turn that off on all my devices and Outlook because it looks like crap but not on the HTC.

fsdorado

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Apart from what everybody has mentioned already, another thing I like about the HTC is the Mail app. It's so clean and polished. I especially like the way it does Conversation view. I usually turn that off on all my devices and Outlook because it looks like crap but not on the HTC.

It's there a way to Select All from the HTC Mail app? I couldn't find it.

chilledbeer

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
All said and done, I've decided to defect to the dark side... with a Samsung Galaxy S5. Will get one tomorrow.

Reasons:
1. Yes, the build quality of a HTC One is amazing but the GS5 has a removable battery. As a travelling business man, I find travelling with a spare battery making more sense to me.
2. In Australia, we still dont have the extreme power saving mode. God knows when we'll get the update.
3. The phone does have good speakers, but I don't find myself using it that often. I'd rather use the adapt sound on the GS5 that customises the sound frequency to one's hearing than use external speakers.
4. Kitkat launched with full lockscreen music display(which I loved) whereas the HTC One still downsizes it to one part of the screen. Pisses me off no end.
5. Fingerprint scanner although not as good as the iPhone5S is actually useful to me as my company forces long passwords on company email. Entering it on my HTC One is proving to be a pain.
6. I found to my horror that I almost dropped the HTC One on a number of occasions. It just doesn't grip as well as Samsung devices.
7. I'm absolutely sick of the 4MP camera. As an amateur photographer this is a HUGE deal for me...

These are purely my personal preferences.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have my M8 since last Tuesday and I love it. Love the great design, the metal body, the screen, the speakers, and I like Sense and Android on it. I couldn't be happier.

mlynch01

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I am absolutely loving my M8, the best phone I have owned hands down. And I have owned the One S, GS3, Nexus 4, One M7, Moto X, and Nexus 5 and I haven't been happier with this device. The battery life has been a big surprise (I definitely wasn't expecting it to be as good as it has been for me) and no device can match the look and feel of this device. Also this is the first phone I have had that can match the consistently smooth performance of my Nexus 5. The main point of contention I read about in reviews was the camera. And after purchasing this phone I can say that for everyday use the camera on the M8 runs circles around the Moto X, and the Nexus 5 (the older phones I won't even mention because even though they have higher pixel count they have older sensors that aren't as good) and alot of that is attributed to the speed of the camera and ease of capture. The M8 has taken some great quality pics for me. For what most people use phone pics for the 4 UltraPixel is sufficient, I thought about how many pics I have taken on my phone over the years that I have had blown up and printed, for me the answer was a big fat 0 and I have thousands of pics and what I have shared was either via social media, email or mms. I have already capture great moments with this camera that in the past I struggled with on my Nexus 5 or just looked like pure crap with the Moto X. Don't get me wrong the N5 could take a decent picture but it takes too long and anything moving is a real issue. With the M8 and even the M7 none of those issues exist for me. Anyways with that said I couldn't be happier. If anyone reading this thread is on the fence I would say do yourself a favor and try the phone out and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. If not then return it and try the next option.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Everybody talks about the front speakers, but I think the quality of sound coming from the headphone jack deserves just as much praise. The M8 absolutely destroys my old EVO 4GLTE (with Beats), in a way that goes beyond simple EQ.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
All said and done, I've decided to defect to the dark side... with a Samsung Galaxy S5. Will get one tomorrow.

Reasons:
1. Yes, the build quality of a HTC One is amazing but the GS5 has a removable battery. As a travelling business man, I find travelling with a spare battery making more sense to me.
2. In Australia, we still dont have the extreme power saving mode. God knows when we'll get the update.
3. The phone does have good speakers, but I don't find myself using it that often. I'd rather use the adapt sound on the GS5 that customises the sound frequency to one's hearing than use external speakers.
4. Kitkat launched with full lockscreen music display(which I loved) whereas the HTC One still downsizes it to one part of the screen. Pisses me off no end.
5. Fingerprint scanner although not as good as the iPhone5S is actually useful to me as my company forces long passwords on company email. Entering it on my HTC One is proving to be a pain.
6. I found to my horror that I almost dropped the HTC One on a number of occasions. It just doesn't grip as well as Samsung devices.
7. I'm absolutely sick of the 4MP camera. As an amateur photographer this is a HUGE deal for me...

These are purely my personal preferences.

HTC has saw a lot of returns lately mostly due to the S5 release. The H8 was a nice placeholder to fill in the two week gap before the S5 was released. But now the wait is over.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't really know how to react to this. People that waited for the S5 should just get it. The M8 is very much different and offers a better hardware quality. If this is not your thing, then ok.
How do you know how many people returned their M8? Where do you base your statement?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't really know how to react to this.

I try not to with the hope that he'll eventually realize that not everyone wants a Samsung phone. Then maybe we can keep things on topic a bit more.

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't really know how to react to this. People that waited for the S5 should just get it. The M8 is very much different and offers a better hardware quality. If this is not your thing, then ok.
How do you know how many people returned their M8? Where do you base your statement?

There is absolutely no data on which to base his claim, other than a few "I traded my M8 for S5 hurr durr!" posts in a couple of threads. You'll probably find just as many "I traded my S5 for M8" claims as well. So his claim is nothing more than flame-bait.

The fact that he spends so much time over in this forum rather than the S5 forum should give you an indication as to his motivations.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about all of you guys but I've about had it with all these negative threads talking about how the phone is too tall or the screen size being too small or the camera not being good enough blah blah blah.

I for one am in love with this phone. I previously had the m7 and everything about this phone is a major improvement over its predecessor.

So I would like to hear everyone's opinion on what you like about this phone and why you decided to buy it. I don't want to hear anything about how you don't like this, or how another phone is better. Let's keep this positive!

Also remember to keep this thread on topic

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
HTC has saw a lot of returns lately mostly due to the S5 release. The H8 was a nice placeholder to fill in the two week gap before the S5 was released. But now the wait is over.

Show me your proof.

You keep saying this to get a rise out of people. The next time you say it without documentable proof, I'm going to consider it trolling.

You wanted attention, now you have it.