NFC won't work after 4.4.3 update from Verizon

ModernTenshi04

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I received the latest firmware update from Verizon a few days ago, and after installing it the NFC feature of my phone no longer works.

I've tried different credit card terminals with NFC enabled (ones I've used plenty of times before) so it's not just a bum credit terminal. I've factory reset my phone twice (once in the settings menu, once by powering off then holding the volume down button to power back on). Nothing seems to get NFC working on my phone.

Has anyone else had this issue, or know of a way to correct it? I stopped in at Verizon and the guy said the only thing they could do would be to provide me with a refurbished model of my phone, which I'm not really keen to since I bought my M8 new a few days after it came out and it's still under warranty. He suggested I call HTC, but they recommended I try the second factory reset method I mentioned above and to call them back if that didn't work. Calling them back has so far resulted in no one answering. May wait until Monday to try again.

Just wanting to know if anyone else has had this issue with their M8 or another phone after a firmware update, and/or other things I could try to get NFC working again.

Lok52

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I actually used my Google Wallet on a vending machine last night. No problems at all with it. Sounds like a phone issue if 2 factory resets didn't fix it.

Posted via Android Central App

ModernTenshi04

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I actually used my Google Wallet on a vending machine last night. No problems at all with it. Sounds like a phone issue if 2 factory resets didn't fix it.

Yeah, the guy I talked to at a Verizon store said it was likely the same thing. I did everything he would attempt.

The downside is they'll only replace my M8 with a refurbished M8, even though I'm still under warranty.

Gonna see if HTC will let me invoke a replacement.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hate to say it, but every manufacturer and carrier will usually only replace with a referb unless none are available. I don't blame you for not wanting one, since so many people get trapped in the refurbish roulette cycle.

ModernTenshi04

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Which is honestly pretty crappy. My TV needed a replacement screen and Best Buy came out to replace it, then when some of the HDMI ports went bad they just gave me a new TV of the same model off the floor.

Just doesn't seem right that the phone is still under warranty and I'm paying for the insurance on it, but the best they can do is to give me a phone that was also broken at one point and tell me to hope for the best as I ride out the remaining 1.5 years of my contract . . . .

Maybe I'll just switch over to T-Mobile and get a newer phone in the process . . . .

Gkkgfsdh

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem I thought I had tried everything also if you go to Google wallet and set up tap and pay again and then you will understand

ModernTenshi04

May 25, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean by, "...got to Google wallet and set up tap and pay again and then you will understand?"

I've set up tap and pay, it says, "Tap and pay ready," on the main wallet screen. As far as I can tell it's setup to use tap and pay, but every tap and pay terminal I've tried it on doesn't work.

You're saying you also experienced an inability to use NFC payments after applying the Android 4.4.3 update from Verizon last week? If you did, what exactly did you do to fix it?

Gkkgfsdh

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Are you using Google wallet? Because I had the same problem I did a factory reset after the update just to start fresh. The problem was I turned on the nfc through the phone settings menu and selected tap and pay. I thought I was done but after having the same problem as you I searched the Internet and only found your post so I figured that it wasn't a problem with the update and started looking at the setup for Google wallet that is when I found that since I had reset the phone that it had to re accept the terms of the tap and pay service. I hope that this makes sense. And I hope you get it working again. Sorry for the bad grammar.

Gkkgfsdh

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I hope that the key to your problem is that the app that you use tap and pay needs to be set up again. That was my problem I simply overlooked the fact that it needed to be accepted again due to the factory reset. Again I was like you I was shure that I had done everything. Good luck

ModernTenshi04

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to force it to allow me to "accept" that ability again?

I found an NFC tag on an ad at my local movie theater last night, and decided to put my phone up to it just to test it. Funny thing? It registered and asked me if I wanted to go to the website the tag was pointing to.

So now I'm just even more confused.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, definitely sounds like it's not registered.

It sounds to me like you are using Google wallet, and not the Verizon app Isis / softcard, correct?

Do this:
Open Google wallet
make sure you are getting a notification that tap and pay is ready on the main page of wallet. If you have a prompt to set up tap and pay you need to go through the setup all over again. If you are getting the tap and pay is ready message and its still not working, clear wallets app data and cache and prepare to set it up again.

Complete the setup. You should have a message that tap and pay is ready. If it says it's unavailable, you need to ensure Google wallet is your selected tap and pay app by doing the following:

go to settings > more > nfc

If nfc isn't on turn it on, then go to tap and pay

Select Google wallet.

Going back in to Google wallet will now show tap and pay as ready. If it does not, you likely have a bigger issue that you will need to go through HTC to resolve.

ModernTenshi04

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, they called me back last night and had me try things like turning on extreme power saving mode for 5 minutes then turning it off. Apparently it's been messing with some people's phones.

They also had me adjust the lock timeout of Google Wallet.

Neither of those seem to have worked.

Said I may have to get a new SIM card from Verizon. Could that actually be the problem? I don't want to go out and buy a new SIM card for it to still not fix my problem.

Either way the guy working on it is just as confused as me. He has no idea what would cause the issue, and hasn't been able to find anyone else with the problem.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lok52

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
The good news is, you shouldn't have to buy a new sim. Any time I've taken a phone into a Verizon store, the first thing they try is sticking a new sim in it. It isn't a big deal.

ModernTenshi04

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Went to Verizon to get the SIM swapped yesterday, and you're correct, I wasn't charged.

Unfortunately, that didn't solve the issue. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Google Wallet app several times to no avail.

HTC called me back today, and said the only options I had were to send my phone in for repair (not an option as it's my only phone), or to do a replacement through them or Verizon. Sadly, even replacing the phone entirely with them will likely result in getting a refurbished model rather than a new one.

So it's looking like I may go swapping for a refurbished handset at my local Verizon store and hoping that works, or selling the phone to someone who doesn't care about contactless payments and buying something else. Could also try rooting and loading a custom ROM to see if that fixes it, but then I'd run the risk of voiding the warranty if I wanted to exchange it with Verizon for a refurb if that doesn't fix it.

Really a shame as everything else works just fine on the phone, and overall I really do like it. I simply have the worst luck when it comes to Android phones, apparently. Something always goes wrong.

dmoss7

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I can't even get my NFC to turn on. I go into settings and try to turn it on and the toggle flips to "on" (greyed out) for about 3 seconds and then automatically switches back to off. I even have a brand new NFC enabled SIM from verizon. Ive tried all I can think of (with the exception of factory reset). I've cleared the system cache, uninstalled/re-installed google wallet and softcard. Still won't work. If I have to do a factory reset, I will, but does anyone else have any other suggestions?

dmoss7

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I bit the bullet and did a factory reset...still no NFC. Any suggestion? The phone is not rooted. Could rooting the phone be a possible solution?

Deepak Sanjay

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Same here. I used to use Google Wallet before the update on CVS once in a while. However after the update I'm not able to use it anymore.

Not rooted, running stock Android 4.4.3. OTA Verizon Updated.

I am resetting my phone now and will try soon when I get another chance. Anyway, how did it go for you? is yours working now? I do not have insurance, just ran out two days ago when I did a plan change. Sucks big time now that I have to get to know that it doesn't work. Also, just to be sure I tried ISIS/Softcard Wallet as well to see if it is the Google Wallet itself is blocked or handicapped for some reason. But to my surprise, ISIS/Softcard does not work as well. I am doubting the hardware now. Or this is a solid 4.4.3 Update bug that is causing our device to not function as normal. Question is, is Verizon aware of this? How do we report this to Verizon?

According to what I see here, only few have been affected it seems? or is it so?

I am left with many more questions than answers ever since the update.

P.S - After the update my phone isn't as smooth as it was before either. Feels like the I am experiencing choppy frame rates often times. But not to the level that I will fault the phone.

Please help. Let me know what worked for you and what didn't.

Last edited:

Deepak Sanjay

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
How long since you have bought your phone? Did you have insurance? He offered you a refurbished phone because you have insurance? I just ran out of insurance when I changed my plans, I dropped it. I regret it now. I am just wondering if they will offer me even a refurbished unit if I go to Verizon Store nearby and complain about this issue.

Please provide some suggestions, feedback on what did you do to get the guy to offer you a refurb unit.

Thanks.