LG G2 GPS turning on randomly

aydemirilker

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else had an issue with their gps radio randomly turning on. I am sure I'm not accidently pressing it cause I just see the icon turn on in the status bar. Any help would be great.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: LG g2 gps turning on randomly

Welcome to the forums!! Whoa, that could be a battery vampire. If location settings are disabled it's still coming on?

aydemirilker

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I have location settings turned off because I noticed it was a bit of a battery drain and I will look at the battery stats and gps will have been running for 1 hour or 6 hours idk which apps are accessing the gps.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

rich_r

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

If you are on att then it's probably carrier IQ. You'll probably need to root to stop it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site

So here is what I've noticed:

GPS will turn on when receiving a phone call only if your Google location settings are turned off. If your Google location settings are on (Wi-Fi and mobile networks), then GPS will not turn on.

Anyone else?

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

I notice this with my phone also. I'm att and it comes on randomly despite being turned off.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk 4

djchru

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You have to disable Carrier IQ... Go to Manage Apps > Running > Android System > Carrier IQ > Disable... Was driving me nuts!!! Took care of it for me...

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

I notice this with my phone also. I'm att and it comes on randomly despite being turned off.

This doesn't show up on my att g2. The carrier if doesn't show up under this, could it be named something else?

You have to disable Carrier IQ... Go to Manage Apps > Running > Android System > Carrier IQ > Disable... Was driving me nuts!!! Took care of it for me...

djchru

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I think it is actually called IQ Agent Service or something similar. The only way to see the sneaky sucker is through running apps/android system.

oldschoolsig

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

I think it is actually called IQ Agent Service or something similar. The only way to see the sneaky sucker is through running apps/android system.

It's not there.... I've read att has it to where it can't be removed

kollarism

May 13, 2012
Visit site

This does indeed work for AT&T, thank you. This finally fixed the problem of the GPS turning on. I believe that if you reboot your phone, you will need to stop the process again but I rarely do that. Android services is always near the top of my battery list, so I'm curious to see what happens today (doesn't affect my battery life though).

Thanks again!

bova80

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site

do you guys who have the gps turn on have the weather widget set? if so there is your answer. it comes on when you answer a call because you woke your phone up so it's updating your location.

mikecintel

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site

I called AT&T yesterday regarding about the problem and they contact LG and LG is aware of this problem. LG needs too update the "software" that is causing this problem but no estimate date of completion for the fix yet.

Mike

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

do you guys who have the gps turn on have the weather widget set? if so there is your answer. it comes on when you answer a call because you woke your phone up so it's updating your location.

Exactly, and it uses very little battery. GPS has been doing that since 2.3 but sometimes it takes awhile for people to notice it. The weather app, and any other apps that update when the phone comes on, or at intervals. GPS can be turned OFF, but if an app needs it, it will use it for a second or two.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

No I have the weather widget set to off. If I turn it off it turns back on randomly.

It could be any app that reads location...A LOT of apps have permissions to read your location. If you're like me, if it's a known "good" app, I don't read all the permissions given to it, every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa