LG G2: dead zone on screen

Virgil52

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys I have an issue with my G2. All of the sudden without any phone drops or scratches there is a line that is about a half of an inch from the top that the touch sensor does not work. There is no pixel discoloration or any difference on the screen. I have done the touch calibration from the gestures menu, no help. Any suggestions besides what I've tried?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: dead zone on screen

Hey guys I have an issue with my G2. All of the sudden without any phone drops or scratches there is a line that is about a half of an inch from the top that the touch sensor does not work. There is no pixel discoloration or any difference on the screen. I have done the touch calibration from the gestures menu, no help. Any suggestions besides what I've tried?

I believe there are apps in the Play Store that will test and tell you if there is an issue with your screen. You might want to check and see if in fact there is an issue - it sounds like there is.

Even though the device seems to be in good working order and was not dropped, cracked, etc., it may have developed a hardware issue (digitizer) or may have been hit without you knowing causing the damage. Say you had the device in your pocket, for example, and bumped into a table. That could be enough force to damage the digitizer and cause that problem.

Big06Daddy

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: dead zone on screen

I had that issue a day after I got my phone. The phone also offer to up hardware buttons to answer calls. It said that the screen was not functioning properly. I took it in to an AT&T store and they replaced it. The trouble may be finding one. My original was black but the store only had white. It's been a week now. No issues with the replacement.

Big06Daddy

Derek Sharp

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue about an inch from the top of the screen I have a rectangle about an inch wife the doesn't respond to touch at all. I turned on the dev tools and show screen touches. If you touch the dead zone it puts a dot on the tip edge and on the bottom edge of the dead zone at the same time. I rather not have to get a refurbished replacement device from verizon.

scommisso

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue about an inch from the top of the screen I have a rectangle about an inch wife the doesn't respond to touch at all. I turned on the dev tools and show screen touches. If you touch the dead zone it puts a dot on the tip edge and on the bottom edge of the dead zone at the same time. I rather not have to get a refurbished replacement device from verizon.

Same issue, same size/position. I'm curious since this seems anecdotally to happen in the same spot if it has to do with the position of the buttons on the back of the phone.

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
same thing happen to both my and my wife's phone, it's easiest to tell if you turn on note taking and draw lines up and down thelgG2-deadspot.jpg. Seems like there's a build issue with the G2, we had verizon replaced both phones, had the refurbished phone for 3 months now I'm worried that the problem will arise again after we fallout of the warranty period.

Last edited:

TrekkieMonster

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Same issue with mine- Verizon replacing

Same thing happened to me after the Verizon 26A update; only it was a quarter-sized spot near the bottom left corner of my phone. After several attempts to remedy the problem, Verizon ultimately determined they had to send me a new phone. They acknowledged that this is a known issue for them. Not happy about it, as my phone was working fine before the update; but at least I now have a functioning phone again. If Verizon is your carrier, I recommend contacting their support folks.

JoelMarquez

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
it appears a lot have the same problem with the G2. But has anyone found the cure for it other than replacing it?

hope there is and someone could share

thanks

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
it appears a lot have the same problem with the G2. But has anyone found the cure for it other than replacing it?

hope there is and someone could share

thanks

i read on another thread that if the dead spot is near your sim card tray, try removing and reinserting the tray, according to that poster it help fixed the problem for him/her

Virgil52

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I've actually had my g2 replaced three times so far. Verizon saying it's not a known issue. All three times phone gets extremely hot near the camera then that line I guess burns into the screen. Verizon has been cool, replacing all 3 phones and sending me a new charger on the last one all next day and all free. I love the phone and when LG releases their next flagship I'll be their day 1 to get it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dallon Hill1

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: LG G2: dead zone on screen [FIX]

This is not really a fix but more of a workaround. On the cloudyG2 rom, there is a "mini-view" setting which resizes the screen to only use a specific area. I feel I will be using this until I could afford to buy a replacement. Screenshot_2015-06-15-00-26-11.jpg

John_C1

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
same area is non responsive on mine, which unfortunately lines up perfectly with the Contact Search bar. I am unable to search contacts unless I rotate screen, Opening note pad and scribbling to fill in the entire area will show you the unresponsive areas. Some have posted their scribblings and they look just like mine. I am not surprised that I developed dead touch zones, and the phone has been dropped (in a medium duty case), but what is "interesting" is that the area in question seems to be quite common among LG G2 users.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress