played with G3 for a couple of hours... why does screen look so washed out?

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely!! Samsung now need to step up their game. They have the resources to do that!

The Note 4 I believe will deliver, that seems to be their line that gets the most dedication.

I'm sure it will be a great device indeed, and one that I may give consideration to hmm maybe.

But I have two very great smart phones in the Xperia Z2 and the G3.

Posted via Android Central App

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The Note 4 I believe will deliver, that seems to be their line that gets the most dedication.

I'm sure it will be a great device indeed, and one that I may give consideration to hmm maybe.

But I have two very great smart phones in the Xperia Z2 and the G3.

I'm sure they'll deliver with the Note 4 but many may not like the size of it. I guess I was referring more to their S series. At this point, I think they should abandon the 'S' series and start another newly designed series.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure they'll deliver with the Note 4 but many may not like the size of it. I guess I was referring more to their S series. At this point, I think they should abandon the 'S' series and start another newly designed series.

Samsung may have that one covered with the Galaxy F perhaps?

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
I just upgraded from the Note 3 and it was well worth it, no more lag or black screens. The LG G3 is far superior to what Samsung has going right now.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I played with the G3 screen next to my G2. The answer is obvious. The G3 did not use Tide Detergent. It is dingy and gray looking. The G2 used Tide/Clorox and it is bright and shiny. Hey LG: Fix the G3 screen and I'll buy it. Until then, I'm sticking with my G2.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I like Sammy, HTC, LG, Moto, etc...I really have no preference at all. They all make great phones, I currently have a Note 3 and it is for the most part fantastic.....just wish Sammy would change the entire Galaxy design (getting old). A Note 3 with the look and feel of the G3.....now that would be nice.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
My co-worker let me borrow her new G3 during lunch. I played with it for a couple of hours.

I should say that I'm a Samsung guy. My last 10 phones were all Samsung(starting with Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy SII, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy SIII, two Galaxy Note IIs, two Galaxy Note 3, and most currently the Galaxy S5.

I wondered if my eyes and brain have been conditioned to AMOLED screens, since all 10 Samsung phones had AMOLED screens.

While I can clearly see that the G3's screen had higher resolution, the colors looked washed out, no matter what I played on it.(photos, 1080p MKVs, or just regular web browsing) Is the how LG engineers deliberate calibrate the colors on the screen? Or can my eyes no longer look at anything unless the colors are oversaturated like on all Samsung AMOLED screens?

A couple things here, though yes you already have the visual equivalent of bass fatigue or headphone fatigue.

LG G3 actually also has increased color saturation, plus brighter blacks....because in order to make the screen bright without putting a LASER behind it, they compromised on how much light is allowed to escape. For LG to improve the black contrast and have a more natural color saturation, the screen would either be darker or have an even more draining backlight. The G3 looks pretty good, in some ways more realistic than the S5 but it lacks the color 'pop' and deeper darks as a consequence.

This is why I am hoping for a Flex 2 instead, with an improved P-OLED. 720p true pixels looks good, 1080p with true pixels would be GREAT especially if secondary traits of the prototype were also suppressed in gen2. I love my true blacks and impossibly good battery life xp

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I have only had 2 Samsungs, but I think the reference point for 'washed out' liquidy screens were the Nexus 7 2013 fhd tablets. Horrible, great specs at the time or not.
I am waiting to play with a G3 somewhere but it interests me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Because it is IPS. AMOLED screens have redefined what a phone screen should look like.. The experts say that the IPS screen is a more accurate representation of colors.

Sent from my seriously HD G3!

Depends on the device, but the AMOLED in the s5 lte-a is more accurate than almost all other phones, including most ips screens

yvybabyv.jpg

uduzu6at.jpg

a9aquje7.jpg

e6epu7ys.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
A couple things here, though yes you already have the visual equivalent of bass fatigue or headphone fatigue.

LG G3 actually also has increased color saturation, plus brighter blacks....because in order to make the screen bright without putting a LASER behind it, they compromised on how much light is allowed to escape. For LG to improve the black contrast and have a more natural color saturation, the screen would either be darker or have an even more draining backlight. The G3 looks pretty good, in some ways more realistic than the S5 but it lacks the color 'pop' and deeper darks as a consequence.

This is why I am hoping for a Flex 2 instead, with an improved P-OLED. 720p true pixels looks good, 1080p with true pixels would be GREAT especially if secondary traits of the prototype were also suppressed in gen2. I love my true blacks and impossibly good battery life xp

The g3 brightness is marginally better than the s5 lte-a. However the s5 lte-a is much more accurate.

hetejaqa.jpg

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Depends on the device, but the AMOLED in the s5 lte-a is more accurate than almost all other phones, including most ips screens

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/19/yvybabyv.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/19/uduzu6at.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/19/a9aquje7.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/19/e6epu7ys.jpg

I saw this also. The S5 screen must really be good. As someone with a G3, the screen is fine and there is an adjustment feature on it. Historically speaking AMOLED have not been as accurate as IPS in color but I guess the S5 changes that although IPS panels are well represented in the charts that your posted. My Nexus 5 has a great screen and I have the brightness set to 50 and on my G3 it is set to 60.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I think there is something off about the LG G3's screen. I do have a preference for Amoled screens, however I find the IPS display on something like the iPhone 5S to be acceptable yet the LG just looks washed out to me.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I have only had 2 Samsungs, but I think the reference point for 'washed out' liquidy screens were the Nexus 7 2013 fhd tablets. Horrible, great specs at the time or not.
I am waiting to play with a G3 somewhere but it interests me.

Yeah my Tab 3 7.0 had a better 1024x600 than the N7 2nd gen 1920x1080. Much more natural contrast and color.

The g3 brightness is marginally better than the s5 lte-a. However the s5 lte-a is much more accurate.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/19/hetejaqa.jpg

Oddly enough the charts you post show exactly what I was saying. Look at the terrible saturation number for the G3. Compromises had to be made in hitting the brightness target. And while the LTE-A looks much improved over the first S5, I was surprised that the G2 actually did rather well. They messed up the brightness though, S5 phones can go higher if left to auto-brightness mode.

I saw this also. The S5 screen must really be good. As someone with a G3, the screen is fine and there is an adjustment feature on it. Historically speaking AMOLED have not been as accurate as IPS in color but I guess the S5 changes that although IPS panels are well represented in the charts that your posted. My Nexus 5 has a great screen and I have the brightness set to 50 and on my G3 it is set to 60.

IPS and similar hold most of the chart? OLED on phones has been bright and contrast-y but now the overall gamut and saturation are catching up to LCD panels. At this rate OLED may outclass backlit panels entirely in the near future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty