04-17-2018 01:00 AM
1,002 ... 2930313233 ...
tools
    mine just gave up the ghost this morning. i originally did a live chat with rogers and the guy there acted like he had never heard of the issue. not surprised with rogers. did a live chat with lg canada and they gave me a return number and who to send it to even though i was one month out of warranty. went into rogers and shipped if from there with the authorization number. sad to hear that the rogers guy said lg is not repairing these under warranty as much as they now say it is a software issue, not just their motherboard. that the phones are failing outside the range of the original batch now that android 6 is out. what a joke lg. they know they have an issue and they are avoiding a recall. i have an lg tv, washer and dryer. guess who is leery of buying lg now. customer service is the most important factor these days. everybody is close spec wise and every company has issues sometimes. how that company handles the issue is what makes me decide who to buy from.

even though they helped me out 1 month out of warranty i'm still scared of the way they handled this issue. they've known for months that there is a problem. why not recall so people aren't at risk of losing their data. not every consumer follows forums and knows of this issue ahead of time. i backed up regularly so i didn't lose much but for some they lose it all.
    08-20-2016 09:13 PM
    It gives me no pleasure in reporting that my VS986--which wasn't a 505 series--succumbed to the boot loop issue Friday. What did it in was touring the USS Yorktown. After a year of overly warm operation, it took the oppressive heat and humidity of Charleston to finally create a meltdown. All it took was taking more than 50 pics. As of Saturday, I now own a iPhone 6s & IPad Air 2.

I wish you all the best. LG will never see me buy a phone from them ever again.
    Guatiao and Sevenmack like this.
    08-20-2016 11:20 PM
    Just an FYI-- If you have leased the phone through your provider (Sprint here), LG won't do the bootloop repair if there is any other type of physical damage to the phone. A cracked screen will void the warranty and I have to pay $160 to have the screen fixed prior to sending it back or have LG do it without knowing the cost they will charge up front. Plus I'm out of a phone for a few weeks and Sprint is surprisingly out of loaners in every store in town!
    08-21-2016 08:24 PM
    great way for lg to save their mobile business. guess these guys are planning on dropping out of the mobile market, too bad thei handling of this issue will cost them sales across their whole product range
    08-24-2016 01:55 PM
    The G4 ghosts are flying everywhere today. Mine finally took a crap about 2 hours ago. I get my upgrade tomorrow or Friday luckily, but it just sucks. I'm defaulting back to my Blackberry for the next 24 hours. If you haven't yet, I suggest you purchase SIM adapters to be able to do the same.
    Guatiao likes this.
    08-24-2016 06:41 PM
    I just know from my experience that I will NEVER own another LG phone again, and I tell everyone I know to NEVER buy one EVER. I would rather use 2 tin cans with a string between them then have to go thru what i went thru with LG.
    804hokie and Guatiao like this.
    08-24-2016 07:13 PM
    I bought 3 on the release day for the family. #1 died at the 6 month mark, #2 died at 9 months, #3 just died the other day, all the boot loop issue, out of warranty!
    I filled out the form on the LG website for #3 the other day. Uploaded the bill of sale etc. They did fix it out of warranty for no charge. Just got the shipping email today saying..................
    Defect:
    Power-No power with cable
    Repair Results:
    Swap Board (Main/RF) : Others
    Warranty Status:
    In Warranty

Lets see how long the repaired phone lasts.
    -Bobby
    08-26-2016 08:10 AM
    I've just gotten my second replacement G4 in only a year of having the phone. Both times it was a boot loop/random reboot issue. The first one was earlier this year after that update that was bricking phones. This time it was randomly rebooting. It wasn't hot/overheating, and though I would sometimes get that neat green video fragmentation, it didn't happen every time. I'm so disappointed in this phone, but I have a year left paying on it before I can afford to get something else. Verizon rep was not very forthcoming with any options to switch to a different model of phone. At this point I don't trust this phone so everything is getting backed up as often as I can.
    08-26-2016 11:26 AM
    Lastly, I will say that I have not given up on Android for good. There are plenty of good devices still.

However, I am quite pleased with what my new iOS devices offer, after using Android since Q3 2011. The iPad Air 2 is even my first ever tablet. The unfortunate timing of this catastrophic failure of my VS986, forced me to grab a replacement device before the iPhone 7 was released. But I do have peace of mind with using a proven device as my daily driver now.
    08-26-2016 02:09 PM
    Add me to the G4 death club. My H815 started to bootloop and can't be put into even safe mode. Was calling my cousin and just started doing it.

Back to my old LG G3 for now. Played with a note 7 and s7 edge at Best buy. That note 7 is one slim phone at 5.7 inches! Tempting but I'll wait to see what comes out next month on AT&T.
    08-26-2016 04:42 PM
    Actually, never mind. Due to multiple circumstances out of my control, I cant get an upgrade. So I am stuck with my Blackberry Torch. AT&T wants to charge me $199 to do an insurance claim. LG is refusing to repair it for free because it is out of warranty as of last week. This is a bunch of crap.
    Definitely not crazy about LG phones.
    I see some people got it repaired for free but those who didn't--what did they end up charging you or trying to charge you? I'll do it if I have to because I have no other choice but.....the hell?! Why is everyone trying to make me pay for LG's mistake?
    08-27-2016 10:50 AM
    OK, so my son's G4 (505 series) just had the same problem, 55 weeks after it was purchased. So, yeah the saga continues. It appears to be a hardward interconnect issue that is affected by heat. To their credit, even though it is just past a year of purchase, LG looks like they will be sending a new or refurbished unit. We'll see. Bottom line, LG needs to work on it's quality control.
    08-27-2016 04:05 PM
    OK, so my son's G4 (505 series) just had the same problem, 55 weeks after it was purchased. So, yeah the saga continues. It appears to be a hardward interconnect issue that is affected by heat. To their credit, even though it is just past a year of purchase, LG looks like they will be sending a new or refurbished unit. We'll see. Bottom line, LG needs to work on it's quality control.
    Understatement of the year!
    08-27-2016 04:42 PM
    I just want to update that, after the issue being escalated in LG's system for already 12 days, no updates have been given about where my phone is. This phone was shipped back in early July, for the 2nd time after the 1st time they did not repair and instead broke my phone so as to cause physical damage. It is now end of August and LG customer service has NO CLUE where my phone is in their repair system.

If you have a bricked G4, DO NOT GO BACK TO LG FOR REPAIR unless it is your last resort. Go through your carrier and hound on them like it's your only option. If you go try to repair with LG, you will likely #1 not get it repaired, and #2 never see your phone again.
    Guatiao likes this.
    08-28-2016 07:02 PM
    Such a sad situation for those affected by this issue. I gotta re look at warranty info before then next phone

I've always had good luck with SquareTrade
    08-29-2016 10:34 AM
    I just want to update that, after the issue being escalated in LG's system for already 12 days, no updates have been given about where my phone is. This phone was shipped back in early July, for the 2nd time after the 1st time they did not repair and instead broke my phone so as to cause physical damage. It is now end of August and LG customer service has NO CLUE where my phone is in their repair system.

If you have a bricked G4, DO NOT GO BACK TO LG FOR REPAIR unless it is your last resort. Go through your carrier and hound on them like it's your only option. If you go try to repair with LG, you will likely #1 not get it repaired, and #2 never see your phone again.
    I had no problem with LG repair, stop being so alarmist.

IT sucks they lost your phone but it hasn't happened to anyone here
    08-29-2016 10:35 AM
    Talon: NotLimited98 paid good money for a phone that is now a brick, one that also seems to be lost by LG, the company responsible for the quality control problem in the first place. He has plenty of reasons to be alarmed -- and has no reason to be lectured by you.
    08-29-2016 02:15 PM
    Mine started to lock up a lot during the days counting down to when it took a boom-boom. I also started noticing that it would heat up more. It wouldn't send or recieve MMS. Not sure why I was still surprised that it happened.
    08-29-2016 02:56 PM
    But is it? Depends on where you sit. If you can get your carrier to handle the matter expeditiously, then do so. The carrier will always be easier to deal with (and have a greater interest in serving you) than the phonemaker, whose relationship with you is often indirect. At the same time, if you need to go to corporate technical support and repair, you do so.

I don't think NotLimited is absolutely wrong or right in his suggestion -- and most of us here are smart enough to decide what "advice" to take or ignore. More importantly, he's expressing understandable frustration about a device going to crap long before the two-year contract is up, one for which he will still pay for through his monthly bill from the carrier. In that light, your response is lecturing and tone-deaf. A little more sensitivity to the matter on your part would have been better.
    jhilker, troshs and Guatiao like this.
    08-29-2016 04:14 PM
    My 505 is still working, purchased Sept 2015. If it boot loops I 'll send it to LG for repair. When it comes back I'll use it as a backup and buy a S7 Edge. Will not buy a LG device again. Who would buy a car that breaks down all the time?
    08-29-2016 06:47 PM
    I'm with Rogers too. Mine went bad after 10 months, Rogers sent it off no problem. The rep there seemed aware of the issue. I got it back after exactly 2 weeks. They replaced the mainboard it's now a 608 serial no....was a 508. Good service in my view and I got my original back not a refurbishment so I know it's been looked after. Hoping for the best with three new board. I actually spoke to an LG rep at the store a couple of months ago who said pretty much that LG was honoring it's responsibilities even out of warranty so my advice is to keep pestering if you don't get anywhere.
    Guatiao likes this.
    08-29-2016 07:34 PM
    I had no problem with LG repair, stop being so alarmist.

IT sucks they lost your phone but it hasn't happened to anyone here
    You're lucky you had no problems. The real problem with LG service is the way they've treated me and handled my case. I sent my phone in and not only did they not repair it citing water damage where the LDI is crystal white, and the phone has never been in water, but that they actually caused physical damage to my phone so that I couldn't even go back to Tmobile. Then the lack of communication and stonewalling as to where my phone is and why it takes a month for them not to be able to find it.

People have also had a tough time with LG service in the US and worldwide on the Reddit thread. You can go see it if you want but the fact that they dealt with my case so poorly should be brought to light. How is this alarmist?
    08-30-2016 03:54 PM
    But is it? Depends on where you sit. If you can get your carrier to handle the matter expeditiously, then do so. The carrier will always be easier to deal with (and have a greater interest in serving you) than the phonemaker, whose relationship with you is often indirect. At the same time, if you need to go to corporate technical support and repair, you do so.

I don't think NotLimited is absolutely wrong or right in his suggestion -- and most of us here are smart enough to decide what "advice" to take or ignore. More importantly, he's expressing understandable frustration about a device going to crap long before the two-year contract is up, one for which he will still pay for through his monthly bill from the carrier. In that light, your response is lecturing and tone-deaf. A little more sensitivity to the matter on your part would have been better.
    Yes my post was 2 parts, one describing my experience, and the other expressing that people have been getting help from their carrier with much more efficiency than from LG. I've read a large portion of the Reddit thread of hundreds if not thousands of cases of bootloop and almost always the carriers came through for customer much quicker than LG did.
    08-30-2016 03:58 PM
    Just got my repaired phone back from LG today, Lets see how long it lasts...
    Mainboard replaced. I just had to install the July 2016 system update, Boy did the phone get hot installing that one. Still has the old 505 serial on the sticker.
    Guatiao likes this.
    08-31-2016 11:55 AM
    How is this alarmist?
    By telling people if they send their phone to LG they will not get it back just because you've had issues.

I've personally sent 2 phones back and did not have an issue (nor has anyone else on this thread except you).

I'll certainly agree their quality control stinks and this whole boot loop crud has lost me as a future customer. But telling people they will not get their phone back is a little over the top.
    09-03-2016 09:40 PM
1,002 ... 2930313233 ...