I've recently heard about this "bootloop" issue.
    Well I've got the international (uk) h815 model and my serial number is 507. Ive had the phone for more than a month without any issues. I shouldn't have any issues in the future...right?
    01-26-2016 01:22 PM
    Unless you tamper with the software or something goes wrong while installing an update (or sometimes hardware issues from overheating can cause bootloops), you should be fine.
    01-26-2016 01:41 PM
    Well I've got the international (uk) h815 model and my serial number is 507. Ive had the phone for more than a month without any issues. I shouldn't have any issues in the future...right?
    The info in the wild is that the issue with spontaneous bootlooping is tied to handsets made before September. 507 indicates yours was made in July. So, no, I can't say with any certainty that you're immune to the defect. You're likely at risk given all I've seen.

Anecdotally, it's seemed that most of the folks who have posted here had a 505 (mine was and I had the bootloop failure). I haven't actually tallied the posts, so my perception could be off. Even if it's not, the failure has occurred for others with newer than 505 serial numbers.

Good luck. Back up your data and media, hope for the best, and get on with your life.
    01-26-2016 01:53 PM
    Unless you tamper with the software or something goes wrong while installing an update (or sometimes hardware issues from overheating can cause bootloops), you should be fine.
    This is obviously true generally, but there is a specific hardware issue with LG G4s reportedly assembled before September of last year.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    01-26-2016 01:56 PM
    Just as an FYI, my wife's G4 that died last week was a 506 (same as mine that hasn't died yet)
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-26-2016 04:03 PM
    My G4 through Sprint that I had to have replaced from the bootloop was 508 and my replacement is also a 508.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-26-2016 04:29 PM
    ...which is why I'm antsy about my replacement 507.
    01-26-2016 05:01 PM
    ...which is why I'm antsy about my replacement 507.
    Don't be, just do an occasional back up to the SD card and enjoy it. We have 2 other G4's in our house all made the same time and only mine acted up. It's not every one of them.
    01-26-2016 05:04 PM
    Silly question but I'd like to confirm where to get the numbers you're referring to. When I take the back cover off of my Canadian H812, on different parts of the phone I see references to H810, 508, etc... Then when I remove the battery to view the S/N, it starts with 506. (Phone was purchased in July 2015).
    Is the 506 the number I should keep in the back of my mind when seeing similar numbers in reports of the bootloops etc...?
    01-27-2016 06:14 AM
    Silly question but I'd like to confirm where to get the numbers you're referring to. When I take the back cover off of my Canadian H812, on different parts of the phone I see references to H810, 508, etc... Then when I remove the battery to view the S/N, it starts with 506. (Phone was purchased in July 2015).
    Is the 506 the number I should keep in the back of my mind when seeing similar numbers in reports of the bootloops etc...?
    Yep
    01-27-2016 07:53 AM
    LG has decided to fix this for many users. I found many articles with the details. (I haven't posted enough here yet to include the link. ;-) )
    01-27-2016 08:57 AM
    Basically they said it was due to a loose connector inside the phone. Since they know what the problem is now, just back up your stuff in case it happens and they should be able to set things straight for you.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-27-2016 09:11 AM
    Just keep it backed up! Especially sms if you need that. Good luck. My phone made in July still OK.
    01-27-2016 10:59 AM
    Don't be, just do an occasional back up to the SD card and enjoy it. We have 2 other G4's in our house all made the same time and only mine acted up. It's not every one of them.
    Well, I've given the same advice. By ansty I didn't mean it's keeping me up nights or anything. Just that I noticed the serial # when the refurb arrived and it didn't fill me with confidence for the long haul. We'll see.

I don't want to jinx you, but I have a feeling that we aren't at the end of the cycle for these meltdowns. For some, it's a matter of it hasn't happened...yet. That's the sense I get from the way this has seemingly picked up over the past few weeks.

Good luck.
    01-27-2016 03:01 PM
    Hi all...I have the G4 H815 serial 505 since May 2015 and it runs perfect!!!

Posted from my LG G4
    01-28-2016 03:49 AM

Posted from my LG G4
    You are just lucky... Just keep backing you stuff and have a spare phone to use it in case your G4 decide to die.
    Kko 5 likes this.
    01-28-2016 04:24 AM

Posted from my LG G4
    I hope that continues, and it may.

Note that many (most?) of us who have experienced the bootloop failure had it happen with no prior warning at all. In my case, my G4 was working perfectly until it died.
    01-28-2016 07:11 AM
    Back up your data now just in case.

I did just that even though I believed my phone would be fine.

And guess what? It died. S/N began with 505, unlocked H815 variant.
    01-28-2016 07:53 AM
    Thanks for the advice guys....I feel sorry for you all really...I know very well how frustrating it can be to loose your personal data and info.
    I keep my fingers crossed that my G4 will keep running smoothly

Posted from my LG G4
    01-28-2016 09:38 AM
    By the way guys I have a question...does anybody knows LG 's official policy about this? Do they replace them or just fix them?

Posted from my LG G4
    01-28-2016 09:39 AM
    This LG's official position - "LG Electronics has been made aware of a booting issue with the LG G4 smartphone that has now been identified as resulting from a loose contact between components. Customers who are experiencing booting issues with their LG G4s should contact their local carrier from where the G4 was purchased or a nearby LG Service Center (LG Electronics) for repair under full warranty."

Sounds like a repair & not a replacement. I don't know for sure; I may just go to Verizon store & ask
    Kko 5 likes this.
    01-28-2016 10:19 AM
    This LG's official position - "LG Electronics has been made aware of a booting issue with the LG G4 smartphone that has now been identified as resulting from a loose contact between components. Customers who are experiencing booting issues with their LG G4s should contact their local carrier from where the G4 was purchased or a nearby LG Service Center (LG Electronics) for repair under full warranty."

Sounds like a repair & not a replacement. I don't know for sure; I may just go to Verizon store & ask
    Thanks friend....so far so good 😃

Posted from my LG G4
    01-28-2016 10:22 AM
    You are right "so far so good"
    Mine is a 505 bought in August, if it does goes bad, I hope soon, & not while we are on a long trip.
    01-28-2016 10:39 AM

I'm on Verizon as well. When my G4 died from this, I was told (via phone) that they do the refurb replacement so we don't have to deal with repair through LG (my refurb arrived in 2 days...repair can take weeks). I do appreciate that aspect of it, and I suspect it will continue that way for at least those of us on Verizon. Other carriers seem to have different policies.

My main issue at that time was (and still is) that I'm still paying the installments to Verizon for my formerly new G4, on what is now a "like new" refurbished G4 (well, not really "like new," the power button is slightly scuffed, the all-time call timer in the phone settings has 9 days of calls on it, etc.). They gave me what equals a 2 months installments credit on my current bill, which is something, but I still think it's lame to be paying for a new phone that failed through no fault of mine, while using a used phone.
    01-28-2016 10:54 AM
    but I still think it's lame to be paying for a new phone that failed through no fault of mine, while using a used phone.
    Well, that's par for the course. It's like car insurance. You buy a new car, make payments on that new car price. If you get into an accident or get it pinched, they aren't going to give you what the car was worth new.... you'll more or less get back what your used car is worth (GAP ins, etc whatever you might have)

Personally, I don't think it is reasonable to expect a new replacement for the used one you have. Now, I'd expect one in good working order that isn't trashed, of course... but 'new in box' I think might ask a little too much. Sure, if the thing is right out of the return window... then yeah, that's bad luck. But my wife's G4 getting up there now... 8 months old. If her's starting feasting on a big bowl of Boot Loops, if I got back a new one, I'd be amazed.
    01-28-2016 12:09 PM