OK I'll admit it, the G5 is a complete fail

Stocklone

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm really happy with my purchase. I've dealt with enough laggy Samsung devices that I can't go back to them. And my last phone's battery was crap after 18 months. LG is the only one giving me a phone that I can easily fix that problem when I need to by inserting a fresh battery. If I could buy all of 2016's major flagships, I would but this year replaceable battery trumped everything. This phone is by far the most consistently smooth phone I've ever used which is a huge plus. I can't tell you how much of my time I've wasted trying to fix all the various lag issues with my past devices and all of them were flagship devices. Why? Because repeated lag when you are doing the simplest of tasks drives me nuts. You know it shouldn't lag. There's no logic to it lagging but yet it still happens. And you keep repeating the action. Doing it over and over. Trying to convince yourself that you are imagining the lag because how could the device lag doing something so simple? But you're not imagining it. The lag is real. The LG G5 is like a breath of fresh air.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
LG G5 takes the award for the worst flagship in 2016..... what was LG thinking. Pathetic for such a big company to come up with such an inexcusable ugly plastic phone.
I don't think it's the worst flagship of 2016. First, it's not even the end of 2016 yet. Second, it's not a bad phone.

Yeah, I said it. It's not a bad phone. BUT, it's not a particularly jaw-dropping one either.

It's overall solid, but falls a little short of its competitors. Its main-selling point is rather poorly implemented and while the phone is pretty good overall, it just falls a tiny bit short. Software is still not all that great (no theme engine?) and TBH, I'm still not big on how this phone looks. And really, I wish LG would crank up the maximum brightness on the G5. The display in my G4 is rather poor for outdoor use. I need 45% brightness just for it to be legible indoors.

Ultimately, I can come up with 3 reasons why you'd get this phone.

- You want something with a removable battery
- You want something that isn't from a mainstream OEM
- You really like the wide-angle camera setup

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I've owned 2 duds of a G4.....

Not impressed with that. Wish I had your sort of luck. :(

Yeah, I read a lot about your issues. It would def have soured me had I been in your shoes. AC blessed me with my G4. I was a Sprint user with a G3 until they sent me the device. I got to try out the competition with it and the rest as they say is history. I'm now TMO user and a adamant fan of unlocked devices! :)

mylgt1

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I've owned 2 duds of a G4.....

Not impressed with that. Wish I had your sort of luck. :(

I have a launch day G4, 505 serial # and still working great "knocking on wood" just hope it holds out till I get my Htc 10! I really thought the G5 would be my next phone since I had their last four flagships but for me, I was disappointed

Posted via the Android Central App

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I have a launch day G4, 505 serial # and still working great "knocking on wood" just hope it holds out till I get my Htc 10! I really thought the G5 would be my next phone since I had their last four flagships but for me, I was disappointed

For your sake, I hope you didn't just seal you fate. I've seen a couple of times were people would post only to have their phone die in short fashion. I'm gonna post this mess. Try and reverse the karma.

Yes, I'm superstitious.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
For your sake, I hope you didn't just seal you fate. I've seen a couple of times were people would post only to have their phone die in short fashion. I'm gonna post this mess. Try and reverse the karma.

Yes, I'm superstitious.
Once, I said that my 505 was still working perfectly fine.

A few days later, it died.

Maknora

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I definitely need a new hobby. Lol. Phones have grown stale and no longer hold my interest like they did in the days of the original droid and moto x. Maybe underwater basket weaving.

same here. don't even read tech articles anymore

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
[TIP][TIP][TIP]Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.
[/TIP][/TIP][/TIP]

McMurphy83

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
Had two faulty units and a faulty CamPlus module (Amazon Germany). I returned both G5's and the module and will now look somewhere else.

Quality control is a joke...

Sorry I was in a hurry this morning and I'd like to point out some positive and some negative issues: Just so you know, my daily driver ATM is the LG G2 and I (still) love it. I ordered the G5 in silver from Amazon germany with the CamPlus module as a pre-order bonus.

The first (not so very close) look and the in hand feel of the G5 was pretty good. The odd thing was, that just when the phone was delivered it had a really metal-like feel to it but after a few minutes that feeling changed as the device got warmer in my hand. It certainly does not feel like plastic, but once in hand it doesn't feel like metal either. This in-hand feel was neither positive nor negative for me.

For me personally the size of the phone is just right, the grip was good and it was not very slippery. The display was not too bad either but I can imagine, that the Samsung display is perceived as the better display. The camera was great and the wide-angle camera is breath-taking (IMHO). And, the phone is blazingly fast. My G2 starts to lag and just isn't too snappy anymore. I just cannot imagine the G5 ever being laggy. So, this is where the positive things end.

What was striking, was the really bad finish / quality control. The first unit I received had chipping paint at the top of the gap (and I'm not talking about the antenna lines) and the bottom of the module looked dented. All in all, it was clear from looking at the device, that I could not keep it. So Amazon sent another one (together with the CamPlus) and here it was just the same story. Aditionally the finish or the quality control of the CamPlus was so bad that it wouldn't even stay in the G5. It just slipped out again and again. Just unusable.
Another thing was that the wifi and cell signal wasn't very strong, my G2 just does it better.

I really looked forward to this phone but for 699€ this was a major disappointment and these compromises in finish / quality control I'm not willing to take.

Last edited:

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Good point.
I'm really happy with my purchase. I've dealt with enough laggy Samsung devices that I can't go back to them. And my last phone's battery was crap after 18 months. LG is the only one giving me a phone that I can easily fix that problem when I need to by inserting a fresh battery. If I could buy all of 2016's major flagships, I would but this year replaceable battery trumped everything. This phone is by far the most consistently smooth phone I've ever used which is a huge plus. I can't tell you how much of my time I've wasted trying to fix all the various lag issues with my past devices and all of them were flagship devices. Why? Because repeated lag when you are doing the simplest of tasks drives me nuts. You know it shouldn't lag. There's no logic to it lagging but yet it still happens. And you keep repeating the action. Doing it over and over. Trying to convince yourself that you are imagining the lag because how could the device lag doing something so simple? But you're not imagining it. The lag is real. The LG G5 is like a breath of fresh air.
Seen a lot of criticisms about the g5, however the one good thing I've consistently noticed is that it seems blazingly fast when moving around the home screen, menus and apps... In the videos it looks faster than HTC 10 when doing the same sort of things... So kudos points there. However, I still worry about the build quality, I've never seen a phone launch with such negative fanfare over the build quality... In going to wait till September for the dust to settle on HTC 10, the update to LG v10 and new Moto X before upgrading my phone...

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
The G5 is a good phone. One thing everyone will agree on is that it has an outstanding performance in day to day usage. No lag, no stutter...none of that. The G4 was a piece of garbage in that area so kudos to LG for the improvements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non