Discussion For - Root, Recovery, ROM without touching a computer

KMachine

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
KSmithInNY - thanks for all the great tips (I have used several of them with my Evo). I am now using this thread to root my wife's Optimus and ran into an error while trying to run a nandroid backup. Everything went fine until then, when I got the following error ...

Error: Run 'nandroid-mobile.sh' via adb!

Any thoughts on this?

UPDATE - Nevermind. I was plugged in via USB. Disconnected and nandroid went smoothly. Thanks!

Last edited:

dances1000

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
please i am this (see small finger space?) close to my first rom!

ok so I followed your tutorial and I got through it Nanroid created, custom recovery created, rooted...

When I went to boot I ran quick boot and it gave me the original stock boot menu and not the one I had after following your directions.

I think I changed the custom recovery back to the stock because I cannot get it to come back. I think I deleted a file out of the sd root because I didn't think I needed it. dummy- So now I just get the stock screen and when I go back through instructions on emulator it still goes to stock. How can I reset it to start over or fix this?

I want to install thunderom on optimus s.

Also once flashed, how do I restore all settings?

infid3lkastro

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
ok so I followed your tutorial and I got through it Nanroid created, custom recovery .... back through instructions on emulator it still goes to stock .....

it sounds like you lucked out and didn't brick your phone. what youre saying as to how you got to where youre now is impossible without doing a flash back to stock through custom recovery. either way, power down and see if you can get into custom recovery w/the three button deal (power+voldown+home). if you still have custom recovery it may just be a quickboot bug, in which case you could just uninstall and get it from the market. if not, i'd try to format the sdcard before attempting to install custom recovery again. good luck.

Sent from my Optimus via Tapatalk

Reactions: dances1000

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
ok so I followed your tutorial and I got through it Nanroid created, custom recovery created, rooted...

When I went to boot I ran quick boot and it gave me the original stock boot menu and not the one I had after following your directions.

I think I changed the custom recovery back to the stock because I cannot get it to come back. I think I deleted a file out of the sd root because I didn't think I needed it. dummy- So now I just get the stock screen and when I go back through instructions on emulator it still goes to stock. How can I reset it to start over or fix this?

If i were a betting man id say you need to go back to step 11 and pay special attention to this line ...
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
If you still have the file /system/etc/install-recovery.sh on your phone, the end result will be when you try to go into recovery a second time, you'll still have the stock recovery image. It will work the first time, just not after rebooting so if you try a second time .... it's the stock image.

Start again on step 11.

dances1000

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
its early so let me try this again

so i followed all the steps and basically went all the way to create nandroid on the custom recovery screen. I have this file on my sd now. Before I wiped I got a little nervous and so I ran backup root or whatever. Then at that point my phone was low on memory so I thought I could delete the two files from sd root used to create custom recovery. Then I could not get into custom recovery screen like you show us with the custom options. I think I even typed the line into the emulator and it took me to stock screen. My phone is nowhere near bricked at the moment! Now anytime I go back to recovery boot it just shows stock. At the time I didn't realize it was the wrong screen and I tried to recover from zip in sd and it said an error due to signature? Anyway, I'm gonna go letter and space verbatim and run the emulator again. Please let me know if this helps. If it works how do I (with sprint id showing up first thing after wipe!) restore everything once the rom is running and rebooted? Is there an easy way to get to custom recovery instead of stock? Was it because I deleted those two files from root that it went to stock when I rebooted in recovery?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
so i followed all the steps and basically went all the way to create nandroid on the custom recovery screen. I have this file on my sd now. Before I wiped I got a little nervous and so I ran backup root or whatever. Then at that point my phone was low on memory so I thought I could delete the two files from sd root used to create custom recovery. Then I could not get into custom recovery screen like you show us with the custom options. I think I even typed the line into the emulator and it took me to stock screen. My phone is nowhere near bricked at the moment! Now anytime I go back to recovery boot it just shows stock. At the time I didn't realize it was the wrong screen and I tried to recover from zip in sd and it said an error due to signature? Anyway, I'm gonna go letter and space verbatim and run the emulator again. Please let me know if this helps. If it works how do I (with sprint id showing up first thing after wipe!) restore everything once the rom is running and rebooted? Is there an easy way to get to custom recovery instead of stock? Was it because I deleted those two files from root that it went to stock when I rebooted in recovery?

Your answer is in the post right above yours, post #24

dances1000

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
ay yi yi

Help Me Obi Won!

You're My Only Hope!

export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH

$ $su

# su

# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

#mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

failed on '/system/etc/install-recovery.sh' - No such file or directory

# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img

mtd: read error at 0x00000000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00020000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00040000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00060000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00080000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x000a0000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x000c0000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x000e0000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00100000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00120000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00140000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00160000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00180000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x001a0000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x001c0000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x001e0000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00200000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00220000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00240000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00260000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00280000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x002a0000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x002c0000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x002e0000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00300000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00320000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00340000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00360000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x00380000 (Out of memory)

mtd: read error at 0x003a0000 (Out of memory)

mtd: not writing bad block at 0x00200000

#

My phone is still running fine. I just want to try this rom and I obviously see the allure of the custom recovery.

What is next?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Help Me Obi Won!

You're My Only Hope!

export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH

$ $su
# su
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
#mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
failed on '/system/etc/install-recovery.sh' - No such file or directory
# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img
mtd: read error at 0x00000000 (Out of memory)
#

My phone is still running fine. I just want to try this rom and I obviously see the allure of the custom recovery.

What is next?

you had flash_image and recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img on the SD card when starting? I know i said step 11 but you'll need to go through steps 5,6,7,8,9,10 then do 11. The steps 5-10 are the ones to put the proper files on the SD card, 11 is what moves flash_image and applies the recovery image.

dances1000

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
wtf!!!

As big of a fan I am about understanding the reasons things do what they do I am providing an update.

Last night before I attempted 5-11, I ran titanium and went to force sprint zone off of phone. It rebooted into custom recovery!

I ran nand, came back to earth to backup one more safety net and off we went into custom recovery again the same way by uninstalling sprint zone(it did not uninstall).

And now we have thunderom!

I'm not sure if it feels faster but I ran the quadrant and get 480-550.

I want more!!! Can someone point me to a step by step on system settings or whatever to get this baby up, up, up!

Also is NAND a system backup pre rom or can it be used to backup after wipe on new rom?

wired1

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
ok, so idid a battery pull and started the whole process over again, i did the line commands in terminal and was careful to copy the commands exactly and after the reboot recovery command i got
not permitted! any ideas whee i went wrong?

scifan

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Launch something that requires root... (eg autokiller or setcpu) and see if you get prompted for root or not...

or launch a shell via adb and type su and see if you get a $ or a # back... ;)

nelso7474

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0.img
error scanning partitions: no such file or directory>

how do i fix this

mike9670

DROID Master
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
be sure to follow the exact wording and spacing on instructions. I made a couple errors at first then I finally got it to work by making sure i had everything spelled correctly and the spaces, commas and such exactly as shown.

wired1

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
/sdcard/flash_image: No such file or directory

all spelling, spaces, commas and forward slashes have been correct...wtf am I doing wrong?

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
/sdcard/flash_image: No such file or directory

all spelling, spaces, commas and forward slashes have been correct...wtf am I doing wrong?

You need to unzip flash_image to your sdcard root....did you do that, or just copy the flash_image.zip file?

Edit: I'm talking about steps 7 and 8 from the recovery part of the OP:

7) open Astro file manager and do the following:
SDcard > Download (not to be confused with downloads) > Click on the file Flash_Image.zip. You are now inside of the zip file and should see a single file called recovery-RA-GNM-thunderc-s-1.1.0. Long press on the file and select edit > copy. Press the back button (physical button on the bottom of phone) twice which should place you right at the root of the SD card. Now hit the "paste" button on the top left of your screen. You should now have the recovery image on the root of your card.

8) Follow the exact same steps you just did above except this time you need to open and move the Flash_image instead of the recovery image. You should now have the recovery image AND flash_image on the root of your SD card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress