Do any V30s not have a blue shift?

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
So have had the V30 4 or 5 days now and the blue shift on mine is most definitely there and imo very noticeable.

Does anybody have one that does not shift? I have read anecdotal comments that panels can vary by manufacturer date (not sure what mine is, will check when I get home later) and I am considering whether to try and swap mine out or not.

If there was standout alternative I’d probably ditch the V30 but given that I am done with Samsung and their bloat and the P2XL has the same issue (plus is larger and has no wireless charging) I would like to persevere as the V30 is terrific otherwise and ticks pretty much every box for me

TechBob

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
So have had the V30 4 or 5 days now and the blue shift on mine is most definitely there and imo very noticeable.

Does anybody have one that does not shift? I have read anecdotal comments that panels can vary by manufacturer date (not sure what mine is, will check when I get home later) and I am considering whether to try and swap mine out or not.

If there was standout alternative I’d probably ditch the V30 but given that I am done with Samsung and their bloat and the P2XL has the same issue (plus is larger and has no wireless charging) I would like to persevere as the V30 is terrific otherwise and ticks pretty much every box for me

I have a later build V30 and it does have the blue shift, but only only at a severe angle. It doesn’t bother me as I don’t read my phone at that angle. Great phone.

Have you tried turning on Comfort View in Settings-Display? It is an adjustable blue filter.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I have a later build V30 and it does have the blue shift, but only only at a severe angle. It doesn’t bother me as I don’t read my phone at that angle. Great phone.

Have you tried turning on Comfort View in Settings-Display? It is an adjustable blue filter.

This.
On my V30, I have the color mode set to "best for pictures", which is a warmer display than the default.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have mine set to best for pictures too. I’d say the shift happens at less than extreme angles I.e viewing when sat on my desk.

How do you tell the build date? Nothing printed on the box other than the serial and imei

Aithan

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
On my box's sticker where it shows serial, IMEI, etc., it also has a 'Manufactured' month and year (11/2017) on it along with an actual date after where it says 'Made in Korea' (11/08/2017).

That said, I automatically tuned my screen to Comfort because I'm sensitive to blue light, period, and it works great! I also found that adjusting screen brightness can help.

But really, I didn't really notice a blue tinting issue in the first place unless I was specifically looking at it eye level and flat which I have no reason to do.

What I did notice, however, was that straight out of the box, its brightness level was brilliantly BRIGHT.

The colors were 'brighter' all around than what I have been used to which made me immediately fiddle with display adjustments.

That said, I have found that brightness to be especially useful when taking nighttime pictures.

Fiddle with all of your display settings along with Battery Saver settings and let us know your results?

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
No date on my sticker, any way to derive it from the serial or imei?

If I knew mine was an older build I’d be tempted to try and swap it out. If all V30s are like this then I’ll probably stick with it

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My V30 is an October build, and the blue shift is definitely present at any angle outside of direct. It gets worse with higher brightness too.

With that said, I only really notice it on white backgrounds, and it doesn't bug me too much.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Mine is November 23, and even with comfort mode on yes blue shift is present at angles I would not describe as extreme e.g. when sitting flat on my desk.

Honestly on the fence as to what to do, I’d guess all v30s have it but not everyone notices or cares.

For now a dark theme helps while I think it over.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Mine is November 23, and even with comfort mode on yes blue shift is present at angles I would not describe as extreme e.g. when sitting flat on my desk.

Honestly on the fence as to what to do, I’d guess all v30s have it but not everyone notices or cares.

For now a dark theme helps while I think it over.

Yes, there is a blue shift with angles. While "extreme" would not be an accurate description of the angles, "reading angles" are still colored correctly. "Picture viewing" angles can be a little bluish.

Good point about dark themes.

shadokat_ph

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site

No. Looking straight at the phone there is no blue shift. When I look at it from an extreme angle there is a slight blue shift but I don't generally use my phone that way.

isaiah orot

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
all smarphones with oled panels have some kind of color shift my galaxy s6 and s7 had a pinkish color when viewed at an angle . but i dont use my phone at an angle dont know who does.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
BTW the first batch of phones always have some small issue, pink screen, color shift, uneven color, light bleed, etc. The S7 Active wasn't waterproof as advertised and that was a problem. It's good to wait several months until those things are corrected.

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I've got no noticable blueshift in day to day use. If I start i.e. Quickmemo with white background and tilt my LG V30 to an extreme angle, then there is a slight blueshift noticable.
So... no. I don't have any blueshift worth mentioning. The display is great.

Aithan

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
This thread made me curious about my other devices and so I took a look.

The IPS LCD on my Microsoft / Lumia phone uses ClearBlack and has a black-rainbow pearlish gleam to it at certain angles which is reminiscent of solar panels, butterfly wings, and compound eyes under high magnification. It's there when it's off, it's there when it's on, but you have to tilt the phone around at special angles to get that gleam and shift.

Surface Pro 3 and 4 are similar in this respect as well.

The IPS on my LG tablet has a similar gleam to it as well at certain angles, but not quite as noticeable as it is on my phone. It's there when it's off, it's there when it's on, and you have to tilt around for it, too.

My v30 has yet a slightly different gleam to it at similarly specific angles and it's there when it's on and it's there when it's off and once again, you have to really tilt and angle your head to see it. Unlike with IPS LCD, however, it's not a rainbow. For me, it is literally a bit of a gleam in terms of shift.

After looking at the things that I own, my conclusion is that the / a / any kind of a 'shift' is there, period, on any digital screen and especially on screens with a 'glossy' finish.

That said, being that the v30 series is a multimedia-geared phone, in my opinion, any minor 'shift' is simply a part of it. Not a side effect. A part.

Here's why:

I'm very blue light sensitive and so by virtue, I'm also (cool) white light sensitive. I hate driving in the dark because everyone has their white lights blasting on via high beams and in comparison, my bedroom with its warm white lighting is a cave.

I'm also a traditional paper and pencil artist and that means sitting at a desk under a 'pure' and cooler white lighting because any other lighting distorts color perception. I also do graphic design which means that my computer screen display needs to be as 'pure' as possible as well which means cooler white lighting.

The v30 is, amongst other things, a phone designed for the arts. It's meant to display colors as pure as possible and it's meant to do it right here and right now and the only way to do it is with a more 'pure' cooler white lighting.

If I take a photo right now and with Comfort View off, what I see is what I get and that's that. If I need to adjust, I can do it on the fly without having to worry that I'll see something different later on when I change devices or if I print.

The phone gives us the option of Comfort and at this point - especially now that I've had a chance to work with photos, other graphics, and videos - I really have to believe that there was a specific purpose in that decision and that it is related in part to what we're discussing right now.

(And no, in my experience, the phone actually does not make things more blue in general in spite of the cool lighting. If photos are coming out more blue it's almost assuredly because the point of focus isn't correct.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo